Thread: Marine Radio (VHF)

Default Marine Radio (VHF)

One item everyone should have on a boat is a Marine Radio. I was out at Lake Louise and was heading up to the Tyone when I came across an older couple with their mid 20 year old daughter and the boat was broke. The boat was a prop and the guy got to close to shore and bent the crap out of it. We were able to have the guy raise the moter and bend the blades back in shape enough so he could get back to Lake Louise.

There was no one else around and he only had a cell phone with NO SERVICE. Good thing the weather was fair and the lake was calm. Just a simple hand held and he could have called for help. This is IMO!!

Hopefully, they have learned their lesson. It just makes sense to be prepared.

Glad you were able to help them.

Also understand how to use it. Was out of Seward by 6 miles when a Mayday call was heard. Kept saying 21'Bayliner dead in the water, Mayday. Well that is not a Mayday call that is a Assist call. He said he was in the bay but not where, so if it was a Mayday which means "life is in danger" a fast responce would get tough. Folks had to ask over & over and then started saying by this or that.
    Engine was dead and needed a tow was all and he was yelling for the USCG. They say lives not boats for the most part.
    Knowing and understanding BEFORE HAND Marine VHF protocal would be good. Reason! If they responded to a Mayday which turns out not to be a real Life in Danger call and another one comes in that is real, the 2nd one may end up waiting to long and life could be lost.

What Piranha said. It's always been odd to me that a VHF is not a required piece of gear like PFDs, fire extinguishers, etc. Everyone should have one and know how to use it!