Thread: Fishing spot suggestions for nephews (seward to kenai)

Default Fishing spot suggestions for nephews (seward to kenai)

Ok I know this is a tall order but I am taking my 3 nephews from Texas to Seward the week of August 3-12 for a fishing trip. I have one combo charter out of seward for silvers/halibut but that leaves roughly 7 days to goof off.

I would like to find some spots for river bank fishing heading toward kenai that are fishable/catchable and memorable. I've been lurking for a year picking up tips, but I would like to show these kids a rocking time. Heck I don't see them going again for a long time so I've got to make this count.

If you have used www.maps.google.com and want to add some links to email (with some useful driving fishing hints) that would be great. If that is too much work just send me a private message to let me know to contact you and/or I will PM you.

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Take em down the Swanson River. All the rainbows your arm can handle. Silvers are there then too. Beyond the fishing the trip is super fun. Take three days to do it.

Take them to Hope to fish for Pink Salmon. These aren't particularly tasty fish (I'd recommend catch and release), but the catch rate is high and kids tend to have loads of fun with them. Also, rarely very many people to deal with, so they have plenty of room to cast.

Default Whittier

Take the tunnel to whittier from portage glacier. Time spent at the portage glacier visitors center would be entertaining for the youngsters. The road to portage glacier is right off the seward highway, cant miss it. Just past the tunnel is a bridge and just past the bridge is a turn off to the left. park and fish the bay next to the litttle creek. there should be some fresh chum salmon in there which are a blast to catch right out of the ocean. There will still be some pinks in there as well. its a great time and the scenery is spectacular.
    Bushwaker

Default more than fishing

If your fishing arms get sore there is more to do than fish.
    While your in Anch. check out the museum of arts and history. This is a great place for all to enjoy and learn about alaska's heritage and history. On your way down to Seward you can stop off at Girdwood and take a tram up into the mountains at Alyeska. Just outside of Seward you can turn off at Exit glacier, the boys can hike right up to the glacier and be able to tell all their texan freinds that they touched a real glacier. If you guys are ambitious you can always climb a mountain... excellent hiking opportunities in turnagain pass. Right across from the ferry at the russian river and kenai confluence you can hike up into the mountains and get a chance at seeing some goats. At the russian river falls campground you can hike a 3 mile trail to the falls and fish for rainbows. or hike up into russian lakes. pan for gold in Hope or any little stream you see fit. gold pans are cheap. rent a canoe in soldotna and do the swanson lakes canoe system. go on a flight seeing tour. There is so much to do besides fish, sometimes the best times can be the unplanned unexpected little excursions that abound on the kenai pen.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin 45 View Post
    Take em down the Swanson River. All the rainbows your arm can handle. Silvers are there then too. Beyond the fishing the trip is super fun. Take three days to do it.

Where is Swanson River? Though I have lived in the Anchorage area for almost three years I'm still learnin' the area. My Dad & brother are comin' up in July 07 and have the trip planned out pretty good, staying at a cabin in Soldotna. There will be about a day, possibly two, that isn't fully planned and would like to tackle some Rainbows.

Thanks....

Default here is my reply in this thread!

Ok, I'll give it a shot, but you can google the spots yourself. They are all good spots, and I bank fish all the time.

Resurrection Creek there in Seward. I didn't fish this last year but a buddy who lived in Seward did. Drive past the Pit (a bar) the first Right as you are leaving town turn Right. Drive down to a sign that says Beach -Fisherman's access. It is a snagging spot, but productive.

Then Quatz Creek as you head to the Kenai.. Very skinny river. Good for Trout and Grayling. Lots of bears, but overall a very cool place to fish.

Cooper landing may have some reds avaible just pull over to a pull off and go look into the Kenai and see if you see any. Look for brighter more silver fish and those will be some early silvers mixed in with old reds.

Russian river...I'm sure you have heard a bunch about it.

Jim's landing off off Skilak Lake Road is pretty fun. It is on the main Kenai channel. You can't fish within 100 yards of the takeout, but walk upstream across a small clear water creek, then fish from shore next to a little island. No one is ever here. Sometimes I'll be sharing the shore with 4 others, but usually not, and the drifters go right past as they are worried about not missing the pull out.

Bings landing off the Sterling Hwy is next on your way south. Pretty good place to get some reds, and the further down river you go the fresher the reds will be. Also could be some silvers.

Morgan's landing is next. Also very good, and has some fishing platforms so if the sons are little this would be a good spot.

Moose river is very nice. I like to pull in there and fish the confluence. Fly fishing only area but all that means is your hook has to be a certain size and no bait or wt next to the hook. Read the regs and you'll see what I mean... Does NOT mean you must use a fly rod...has to do with the terminal tackle.

Then Centennial park in Soldotna should be hot. I'd think you'll find more and fresher fish the closer to the mouth you go. Russian fish by this time are usually pretty red.

Ask around Soldotna and see if you can get directions to the College Hole. I like fishing there as not many people fish it for silvers and there is a lot of room. I can't remember the road name to get to it.

Hmmm, that is all I can think of. I do each one when I fish the Kenai. (from Cooper on down). I'll drive, stop at each one and fish trying to figure out where the fish are. Takes lots of driving and patience but it works. Sometimes you get lucky and the first spot you pull into is holding fish.

Good luck.

Swanson River is about 18 miles out of Sterling on Swanson River road toward the oilfields.

You don't have to have three days for Swanson. You can paddle up or down river and return to the same spot you departed from. The three day float I was talking about takes you out at Captain Cook Park north of Kenai. You have to have transport back.

Default You guys rock!! Appreciate the alaska tips

A few have asked so ... the kids are 13, 15, 17 and just right for some adventure.

Keeps the tips coming as there are many folks who seem to be enjoying the info which if I can say will turn an average trip turned into something more that just the run of the mill sightseeing/fishing trip. I will pass on what google links I get and if you mention to keep something private I will honor that.

Thanks to several of you who live in the area that are especially generous giving me directions to some honey holes/spots.

Take them down the swanson, take 2 days and you'll a lot of time to fish, you'll need two canoes but I wouldn't bring a new canoe there is a lot of rocks but the skill leval is minimum, and there is alot of hungry fish. I do this trip once a year in august. Definetly take the trip down the river to captain cook, you will have to arrange a pickup though

Default Best 1 day float/fishing trips for Inflatable kayaks?

Hi all,
    Our family (with our 4 boys 12-18) will also be there Aug 12-18th for our first RV trip to the Kenai Pen. Bringing an inflatable kayak and inflatable canoe and would appreciate additional suggestions for good 1 day float trips (Class I water) with the best chance to catch silvers, reds, or rainbows.

We're thinking of floating either the:
    -Upper Kenai from Sportman's to Jim's Landing
    -Lower Kenai from Skilak to Bing's
    -Kasilof River
    -Swanson River

Which would you suggest? Also, where do we put in and take out for the Kasilof and Swanson Rivers?

Also any suggestions for the best way to get back to the put in locations? Shuttles or cab service?

Thanks!
    Gary

Default New thread

Oops. Didn't mean to hijack this thread with new float trip questions...we're just planning to be there towards the end of your trip and plan to visit the same kind of sites. I'll repost my float trip questions on a new thread.