Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Spotting Scope

Default Affordable Spotting Scope

Before this thread gets crazy I understand that you get what you pay for. That being said I cannot afford a Swarovski, Zeiss, or a Leica. I am looking in the $400 range which includes low end Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, and some others. What is the best bang for the buck in this level of optics?

Vortex and Pentax are the two names that consistently come up in this price range that everyone highly recommends. I have used Leupolds and Nikons and don't they are in the same class as these two if everyone else is accurately describing their attributes and performance.

There are several reviews on here about the Pentax ED 65 and some of the optional eye pieces for it.
    Check on here or www.24hourcampfire.com or www.rokslide.com forums for reviews on the Vortex line of spotters.

I'm in the same situation. I could justify $400 to the wife, but never $3,500. I realize there is a big difference in quality, but I just cannot justify the expense at this point (to the wife anyway). I could justify it to myself easily!

Or look for a used Swaro, Leica, or Zeiss for a steal. They are out there but you have to pick them up quick.

Hey man, stand by that flag you wear on your right shoulder and buy something 'Merican!.....and by that I mean made here too!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Hey man, stand by that flag you wear on your right shoulder and buy something 'Merican!.....and by that I mean made here too!
    I would if they built a spotting scope that was in the same league as my Swaro. The old Leupold 25x and 30x spotters were good spotters but the rest of them not so much.

I figure I stand by my American made trucks enough despite the fact they fall apart and I buy enough American made guns and what not that the spotting scope and my kids car are freebies.

I also have a Leupold tripod does that count?

Theres got to be some high-end American made spotting scope that stand up to a quailty European optic isnt there?

My American made Cummins has over 100k miles and is still running strong, just like my wifes 'merican jeep grand cherokee....perhaps you made a mistake abought a Ford?

Lol and yes your Leupold tripod does count!

If there is an Mmerican optic that stacks up against European I have not seen it yet.

Yep, you guessed it I bought Ford. Was born into them so it is something I am stuck with. My powerstroke has close to 100,000 mi on it and is running great, but it needed a bit of work to get there.
    Theres got to be some high-end American made spotting scope that stand up to a quailty European optic isnt there?

My American made Cummins has over 100k miles and is still running strong, just like my wifes 'merican jeep grand cherokee....perhaps you made a mistake abought a Ford?

Lol and yes your Leupold tripod does count!

Default Re: Affordable Spotting Scope

I was in the same boat. After reading through hundreds of reviews I ended up getting a Bushnell Trophy spotting scope. It has exceeded all of my expectations for the price I paid. There are a ton more less expensive items higher up on my gear wish list than a $2000 spotting scope.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Vortex is american made. Family company. Pretty impressive glass for much cheaper than the big 3.

[QUOTE=Matt83;1163337]Hey man, stand by that flag you wear on your right shoulder and buy something 'Merican!.....and by that I mean made here too![/QUOT

'Buying American' is not always best. Buying superior foreign products FORCES American manufacturers to improve quality, design, and prices. If every hunter only bought American, we would all be hunting with fogged up Tasco binoculars. Buy what the hell you want to buy and buy what is best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Vortex is american made. Family company. Pretty impressive glass for much cheaper than the big 3.
    You also can not beat the warrenty, bought one before bear season this year and have been very happy with it.

I have read that they are actually made overseas but the company is American owned and operated.

[QUOTE=PAcWest;1163401]
    Hey man, stand by that flag you wear on your right shoulder and buy something 'Merican!.....and by that I mean made here too![/QUOT

'Buying American' is not always best. Buying superior foreign products FORCES American manufacturers to improve quality, design, and prices. If every hunter only bought American, we would all be hunting with fogged up Tasco binoculars. Buy what the hell you want to buy and buy what is best for you.
    I wasn't aware that Tasco was american made !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Vortex is american made. Family company.
    If that is the case it does not say that anywhere on their website. I looked all over it trying to find out where they are made and who owns them but it must be a big secret?

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    You also can not beat the warrenty, bought one before bear season this year and have been very happy with it.
    I can say that about all my Leupold, Swaro, and Nikon products since it is the same warranty. Heck Leupold and Swaro send you new turret caps, tripod adapters, and lens caps for free whenever you misplace yours.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    If that is the case it does not say that anywhere on their website. I looked all over it trying to find out where they are made and who owns them but it must be a big secret?
    Found this in their about you section

And now ... just a little “About Us”
    The people at Vortex have been in the optics business since 1986 and we’re one of the few family owned and operated US companies left in the industry. We have a staff of over fifty dedicated and hard-working people who love to come to work and make great things happen for our customers and dealers. All of our products are designed to our own specifications and inspected and serviced at our modern facility located in central Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    Found this in their about you section

And now ... just a little “About Us”
    The people at Vortex have been in the optics business since 1986 and we’re one of the few family owned and operated US companies left in the industry. We have a staff of over fifty dedicated and hard-working people who love to come to work and make great things happen for our customers and dealers. All of our products are designed to our own specifications and inspected and serviced at our modern facility located in central Wisconsin.
    That does not say made in the USA. That says designed, inspected and serviced in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    That does not say made in the USA. That says designed, inspected and serviced in the USA
    And my VORTEX binoculars say, MADE IN JAPAN! But, they sure are nice!

My buddy and I used a nikon spotter for years and it never failed us. Upgraded to a Leica a few years back and hunted with a new swaro 20x60x80 HD this season and man was that thing incredible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast