Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juneau Silvers

Default Juneau Silvers

Anyone having much luck with Juneau area silvers? I was on the backside of Douglas this weekend and caught 3 + a shaker king in 6 hours of fishing...I talked with the ADF&G creel guy back at the dock and he was saying it was pretty slow out there....I asked how the guys at South Shelter were doing and he said he hadn't talked to hardly anyone who had fished there -- majority of people were going to backside of Douglas....I heard another report of someone fishing backside Admiralty (I'm going to take that as other side of Pt Retreat) for silvers and getting skunked. Apparently that's where they show up first / is pretty good fishing...?

I went to couverden halibut fishing last weekend and saw a bunch of people trolling on that west side of Admiralty you described. I didn't witness anyone with their net out. I'd assume a few were picked up here and there, but none that I saw firsthand.

Default Juneau Silvers

I've caught a few at handtroller's and retreat, but it's been slow. All of my fish have been in the 45-100' range in the past few years.

harris salmon.jpgthis was two days worth out doing Corwood to Funter back to Corwood slow days

I'll probably hit Handtrollers this weekend. They were there during the Derby. Not much sense burning extra fuel to run to False Retreat or Cordword, but I've had outstanding fishing out there in early Sept. Trollers are reporting big schools at Cape Spencer, so the big slug of fish haven't even come in yet it appears.

One thing I have noticed in the past 4-5 years, is that the coho's are not jumping as much. Used to be you'd just steer towards where you saw the most jumpers - and this could be a hard decision as they'd be jumping everywhere. I recall seeing rafts of them out at Cordwood/False Retreat and schools of fish finning at the surface. I'll run downriggers at 20-50 feet to find them, but they were right up top in a few places during the Derby.

Default Juneau Silvers

I heard a rumor they're in at Cowee. Saw a really nice one pulled in at DIPAC Tuesday.

There are few in the channel, I picked up two yesterday evening. One nice and bright, the second was smaller and looked like a dark October fish so he went back. The sun was keeping them a little tight lipped, and they seemed to be mingling with the last of the humpies.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Got back halibut fishing at N. Douglas dock. It was a sunny day so dozens of boats were returning. Only saw one silver come back in the hour I was there.

4 hours fishing backside of douglas Sunday, saw 1 caught, but it wasn't mine....Was lucky enough to be out @ Lizard Head on Saturday for a bit, no action. Heard that Friday at slack tide a boat picked up 5 there...Also heard that Handtrollers and North Pass were producing on Sunday...

Question

Any guesses on when those schools of silvers on the outside should start showing up in the Juneau area? Or if they even will show up? Not sure how the whole migration thing works but I do know this time last year I was having no trouble limiting out on either silvers or halibut.

I'm guessing it will start getting good next Tuesday as I'm sitting at work.

I'll be heading to Juneau for a few days the week of September 3. Won't have a boat, is there anywhere that it's worth casting from shore? I enjoy beating the water as much as the next guy (ahem), but it's better if someone tells me there might be fish there.

Hot and heavy at DaIPerPAC today. Big schools starting to show. I put three in the box on by breaks and lunchtime.

Depending on what experience you want, that's where I'd suggest you go Boreal.

The outside fish will push inside with a vengance in September

Default Juneau Silvers

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346304844.067410.jpg
    Here's something I found in the stomach of a Retreat silver last weekend. Mixed in amongst a ton of (what appeared to be) baby pollock, there was this creature. Any idea what?

Side rant on DIPAC snagging. DIPAC has a huge problem with snaggers snagging in the no-snagging zone near and on the dock. Snagging is EXTREMELY effective... especially when the fish are congregated near the no-snag zone adjacent to the DIPAC fish ladder. Troopers handed out a bunch of fines in the last week, but the fines aren't slowing the snaggers down. They were back at it when I was down there today. Many of these guys are repeat offenders eating fines multiple times. I thought these guys must be insane for breaking the same law over and over again. Someone finally shed some light as to why the snaggers persist. Apparently they're selling the Coho black market style, and the lucrative price they're getting for the fish more than makes up for the fishing fines penalized. From the snaggers point of view, the fines are just business overhead.

DIPAC ,home of the flying coho , Ive seen them fly 15 feet up dock , with a weighted trebbel hanging on there butt , Its been going on for years !! Its just a matter of time before some tourest (who doent have a clu whats going on) wounders down the dock and gets to meet mr. trebbel face to face ,
    Boreal , heres a few , Montana creek at the bottom ,were it dumps into the mendenhall ,or up by the riffel range , petersen creek at the saltchuck or up the creek ,cowee up the road , or the channel off dougless (low tide) good luck and bring some wadders

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346304844.067410.jpg
    Here's something I found in the stomach of a Retreat silver last weekend. Mixed in amongst a ton of (what appeared to be) baby pollock, there was this creature. Any idea what?
    maybe a small greenling?

Was out the backside of Douglas yesterday, only saw about 4 other boats, didn't see anything caught, saw a few fish running deep, but couldn't catch anything. Probably more a comment on my lack of skill/knowledge though. I've yet to catch either a silver, or a king in the two years I've been here, so that probably tells you how useless my knowledge is. We went over to youngs bay looking for butts, but all we ended up with was a spiny dogfish, some rockfish I couldn't identify (but it was my 4 year olds first, so cool for all that) and the biggest double ugly I've seen caught to date. Heard nothing but tales that they're late this year though, from others.

On Friday spoke with someone who said they were picking them up approximately 1 for every 1/2 hour @ Point Retreat....

Anyone been out recently? Overheard talk of a big school coming from the south (Taku area), but who knows if that was first/second/fifth hand...Going to try tomorrow if the weather holds...

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    maybe a small greenling?

Thats what I was thinking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast