Thread: do i need anodes?

Default do i need anodes?

ok, have a 1981 weldcraft 22ft with hamilton 773 jet, have been reading alot about anode protection and the such. i like to use my boat on the salt water as well as the rivers, and i don't know if i have or need to have anodes on the boat or jet. are they really necessary? does any one have any ideas on where they might be if my boat has them already or where i can put them to help same my boat hull and jet from the effects of electrolysis, thanks

At least one weld on or bolt on anode is recommended.
    call glacier craft boats 907-333-4012

Its cheap insurance

Anode that are design to work in fresh water are not design for salt water. Because the fresh water in Alaska is so cold you may not need a fresh water anodes. If you run your boat in the salt and take it home having anodes are not as importance as letting it sit at a dock in salt water.

As far as number of anodes and location I do not have enough information to help.

Passive Sacrificial Anodes for Marine Cathodic Protection
    Cathodic protection (CP) is a technique used to control the corrosion of a metal surface by making it the cathode of an electrochemical cell. The simplest method to apply CP is by connecting the metal to be protected with a piece of another more easily corroded "sacrificial metal" to act as the anode of the electrochemical cell. The sacrificial metal then corrodes instead of the protected metal.

So in short somethings going to corrode you decide what part the anode or your boat part. Install with a very good clean connection point and it's suggested you remove & clean the connection, you got to had good current flow to work at it's best.

Here is a GOOD link http://www.kastenmarine.com/corrosion.htm to read about it.

I run my outboard powered jet boat in the ocean once or twice a year, usually for a week at a time and its amazing how "ate up" the anodes get in that amount of time. They have been on the boat several years, but still suprised at how much they have given up.

So IMO, yes, how many ? I would venture to guess (2) would be a good start.

Also you may want to install some in the cooling system, I presuem its a closed system and I am not that familar w/ IB setups, but it may be advisable to install one on the raw water side, some of the IB guys should know about this......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Also you may want to install some in the cooling system, I presuem its a closed system and I am not that familar w/ IB setups, but it may be advisable to install one on the raw water side, some of the IB guys should know about this......[/QUOTE]

Yes thats a excellent idea also, I purchased the tube type to install and till now forgot about installing. I pulled my exhaust manifold and seen pits and it still didn't dawn on me. Getting older is not as easy on getting things done?

As far as the number of anodes and location this might give you a idea on the engine. http://www.defender.com/pdf/anode-location-flyer.pdf

Another thing if you do not have anode on the boat the anodes in/on the engine could be use up in a week.

all great information, really like the last post with the engine diagrams and such, really gives me some great ideas for anode location and size, did take a look the other day and found a 4"x6" section of aluminum welded to the back of the boat with threaded holes in it, lookas like a great place for at least one large anode, probably try to get something to put in the engine as well and see what hamilton has in the way of jet anode protection thanks for all the replies

Good place to find what your looking for>>>>> http://www.boatzincs.com/

I have 4 anodes on my inboard. 2 in the heat exchanger, one on the jet and one on the boat. I am not sure if there is another hidden gem. I have replaced one in the exchanger and noticed it needs replaced again. The one on the jet is due also. I run the salt a couple weekends a year.

where do they go in the jet? actually inside or clamp on the shaft? i get the heat exchanger because the heat would only compound the issue further, sounds like i've got some zinc to buy

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    where do they go in the jet? actually inside or clamp on the shaft? i get the heat exchanger because the heat would only compound the issue further, sounds like i've got some zinc to buy
    It is bolted to the bottom right side of the impeller housing, externally.