Thread: Rock fish

Default Rock fish

Im new to the whole salt water thing and am interested in catching some rock fish. Anybody have any tips such as gear setup and bait or lure choices or other info(Bottom feeder?). I was watching a show the other day and this guy was useing what looked like a luhr jensen krocodile spoon. I have used these in fresh water but had no idea it would wook on salt. Thanks for any help Hillbilly

Look for underwater islands that rise up to ~60 feet. You can use pretty much any sort of jig, ie lead heads with grub tails, diamond jigs, crippled herring etc. Use jigs on the smaller size 3-6 oz's.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Look for underwater islands that rise up to ~60 feet. You can use pretty much any sort of jig, ie lead heads with grub tails, diamond jigs, crippled herring etc. Use jigs on the smaller size 3-6 oz's.
    Like he said. Also can go with lighter gear if you want to. Pinicals are good. Mid summer you can find them shallow waters or in weed beds. I have fun with them using top water plugs.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Season doesn't open in PWS until May 1st

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Since I mostly fish near rocky areas I use 2 shrimp flies tyied to the main line with a round cannon ball weight on the bottom. Since I show my clients how to fish the bottom this set-up rarely gets hung up ans catches them 2 at a time offen.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default Catching Rockfish

Hillbilly - the earlier post referring to pinnacles is the ticket for scoring on rockfish in most areas. If you fish the top and just above pinnacles you will catch a lot of pelagics like blacks, some blues, and some yellowtail. Depending on how close the pinnacle top is to the surface (30 to 80 feet), this habitat may also yield some Quillback and immature Yellow-eye. You can have a blast using spinning gear with weighted spoons and barbless hooks. It can wear your arms out!

If you can follow the slope of the pinnacle down, you will sometimes find larger Yellow-eye concentrations right where the bottom levels-out at the bottom of the slope. If the tide takes you away from the pinnacle and out onto the flats you may run into some herds of Canary rockfish. Out in the deeper water a light salmon rod, a fast level-wind reel and light-colored scampi-tail jigs will keep you busy. I suggest a very sharp but thin and flexible fillet knife to process your catch and improve your meat recovery from the boney little buggers! Have fun!

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the tips guys. Hopefully ill post some pics. Hillbilly