Thread: cold weather and your bow

Default cold weather and your bow

i am planning on doing a couple hunts this winter in alaska. one up north of fairbanks and one out to kodiak island. i am wondering if there is anything i need to do to my bow before i go out to prevent damage to it or maybe just to keep it running smooth in those temperatures. ive never bow hunted in that type of cold. im used to hunting in the midwest. any tips or pointers would be great. thanks for your help

I hunted up on the haul road temps were around -10 my bow was fine. We left them in the trucks at night. Don;t know what others do, but that is what we did and it worked fine.

Default cold weather and your bow

I had some issues with insert glue failing during a winter hunt up there. Could have been bad glue but it's worth bringing a way to address the issue any way.

Kodiak won't get cold enough to worry about. Now if your bow was made of sugar then i would worry.

My wife has hunted in -10 to -20 temps, and never had an issue (she had the tag, I was the meat packer :-)). She was careful not to "whack" her plastic sight pin ring, but the bow performed fine. Avoid getting it wet (melted snow) in a warm area, then taking it into freezing temps. The moisture can sometimes freeze internal mechanisms that have close tolerances. Same goes for your release aid (if you use one). As 323 stated, keeping the bow in the cold can help avoid the possible moisture issues.