Thread: Building a raft frame

Default Building a raft frame

I ordered my lopro fittings and have bought one piece of pipe from weldair. I used a pipe bender to get my foot bar. Now I am ready for the straight sections but the only aluminum pipe weldair has is bendable 6063 NRS says they use 6061 which isn't bendable. Has anyone made a frame? Where did you get your pipe? Did you use 6061 or 6063? Weldair told me they are close to the same strength.

Default Frames

I have always used 6061 for my frames except the foot bar. I just do not like the idea of a bendable frame. Others are not so picky,
    I have friends who run class V's on a regular basis who make their frames from electrical conduit pipe.

The frame I just made for my raft is all 6061 and I simply used Lopros to put it together. I usually have the frame welded but needed a break down frame for an Alaska trip with a flyout.

You can buy pre-bent 6061 from NRS, I am told there are a few very specialized machines out there that do that.

If this is the first frame you are building or designing just know you will change it several times before you are done.

Lori

Default Schedule 40 Pipe 6061

Lets just say not as bendable! I play with it all the time have yet to have an issue. Anodized tends to be more of a pain however still works.

:-)

Akbigfish ---

Any pictures of this frame in building stage? I'd really like to see if you could document it ...

Thanks

Default shoot a Note down to AR&K

Call Jeff or Trac. I am sure they have some on the Web Site or in the office. If I get home this week I will PM you some.

I will try to take some pictures and post some additional information tonight.

I couldn't figure out how to post a picture but I basically made a NRS Bighorn I. I think I will change it so the cooler is behind the rowing seat and put passenger seats on a tube up front. I got the pipe from Alaska steel it is 1.25" schedule 40 anodized a 20' piece costs $83.62 and they will make one cut for free. For the seat mount I went to Greer tank and for $33.00 I got a 9"x9.5"x.25" piece of aluminum and a 1.25" square tube 9.5" long. I cut it in half with a sliding compound miter saw and a carbide blade (it cut like butter). For the seat I am getting it from Northern Tool the V-250 by Michigan Seat they also have a high back they are the same seats that NRS sells just half the price, you may have to get creative with shipping I am shipping to a friend who is coming up next month. I also found a good place to get Carlisle oars I got mine from outdoor play along with some other stuff, during checkout they said shipping would be 300 some dollars so I canceled the order. They ended up sending me a 10% off coupon so I decided to try again but this time I called them and they changed the shipping to $88.00 but with the $44.00 off I still saved and it came in two days. I hope this will help someone it may be hard to follow but if you have questions just ask here or PM me.

Default material data sheet, what u can and can't do

Quote Originally Posted by akbigfish View Post
    I ordered my lopro fittings and have bought one piece of pipe from weldair. I used a pipe bender to get my foot bar. Now I am ready for the straight sections but the only aluminum pipe weldair has is bendable 6063 NRS says they use 6061 which isn't bendable. Has anyone made a frame? Where did you get your pipe? Did you use 6061 or 6063? Weldair told me they are close to the same strength.

akbigbish here's a link for the aluminum properties data sheet.
    Following these links should answer all your questions from what weld filler material will work to the cold forming or bending process.
    http://www.suppliersonline.com/prope...61.asp#General

Hope this helps,
    David

FWIW

Alaska Steel has 1.5" anodized aluminum pipe and Speed Rail fittings that fit it. I had a cataraft frame built from lowpro's and speed rails and it was great.

Default aluminum grades....

6061 is the lowest grade of the "aircraft grades" of aluminum.

6063 is referred to as "architectural grade"

Default 6063

I rested my boat cabin and raised deck on my RIB on a 6063 t6 1.25" surround. It held with four people sitting on the deck while on step in rough water. It's plenty tough for a raft frame, no doubt about it. It's availabe at alaska steel as mentioned. It bends well.

Chris

Default Tubing Bending

I have some aluminum tubing I need to bend. Is there anyplace in Anchorage to get this done?

Default Greer

SKEETER1,

Check w/ Greer Tank Inc. near the airport.

2921 W Intl Airport Rd, Anchorage - (907) 243-2455

Regards,

yhc