Thread: Need input- straightening gunwale on 19' Grumman freighter

Default Need input- straightening gunwale on 19' Grumman freighter

The gunwale on my trusty 19' freighter has a noticeable bend after trailer transport last fall. I think it was loose and slammed repeatedly into the eye-bolt that it was strapped to. I've since used it and there is no change in performance, she still plows through the water like always. This boat came to me in pretty rough shape for next to nothing so I'm not too worried about value.

I feel inclined to try to correct the bend before heading out on the annual moose hunt. I travel on flat water so the hull is not getting alot of stress that way. My carpenter friend thinks it is a good idea and had a plan for using multiple clamps and a 2x10. He thinks we can reinforce it once it is bent back.

Is this a good/bad idea? Will the aluminum return at last partially to its former shape? Any input from the experienced members would be much appreciated. file:///Users/f200301/Desktop/IMG_5884.JPG

I'm no expert here but I have not had good luck with bending old stressed aluminum. One of my offspring hit a dock with a 14' V bottom and bent the bow and I tried to pull it back into shape with a 4' jack and it broke in the welds and cracked the aluminum in several places. You may have better luck but if it is not too bad I would just live with it...YMMV.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

you asked a loaded question as there is no photos to comment on , but LOWRIDER did point out it is not easy if you can live with it leave it alone , if you can't get a sheet metal man an ask him for some input make sure he is old [ lots of experance ]

Here is a photo. I made a brace out of a birch sapling that seems to have strengthened it quit a bit. Still thinking about trying to bend it back.

Am I the only one but no photo on my PC for this thread let me know ?????
    SID

To straighten gunwale, form two sections of angle iron in the shape you want your gunwale. Place one on each side of gunwale and draw together with C-clamps, tighten without crushing aluminum extrusion. TIG weld reinforcing sleeve over any sharp angle kinks...will be good as new or even stronger...

I've been having trouble posting pics of this.

your photo is to large make it smaller to post it might help