Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Hull Identification Numbers

  1. #1

    Default Hull Identification Numbers

    Anyone know where I can have some hull identification placards made up? Mine only exist on my paper registration...I think there are supposed to be two on the boat. I'm not positive about that but I do know for sure that I have none.

  2. #2
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Anyone know where I can have some hull identification placards made up? Mine only exist on my paper registration...I think there are supposed to be two on the boat. I'm not positive about that but I do know for sure that I have none.
    Yes, try under signs in the yellow pages and find someone who makes those vinyl stick on signs like they make for your vehicle. You can pick out what size you need, they should be block style and visible, ( The ones we ordered reflect the light when you shine a light on them, making them visible when it's dark out.) within six inches of your validation/year sticker. The ones we got, all the numbers and letters are all together on a sheet, peel & stick. Make sure the surface is clean & dry, use a hair dryer to warm up the hull before sticking. That's what we did for our new (now older) boat. You need two of them one for each side of the boat, I'm not real sure where they should officially be placed, we have ours on the hull near the front on each side, you could contact DMV for where they should be placed on your boat.

  3. #3
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Yes, try under signs in the yellow pages and find someone who makes those vinyl stick on signs like they make for your vehicle. You can pick out what size you need, they should be block style and visible, ( The ones we ordered reflect the light when you shine a light on them, making them visible when it's dark out.) within six inches of your validation/year sticker. The ones we got, all the numbers and letters are all together on a sheet, peel & stick. Make sure the surface is clean & dry, use a hair dryer to warm up the hull before sticking. That's what we did for our new (now older) boat. You need two of them one for each side of the boat, I'm not real sure where they should officially be placed, we have ours on the hull near the front on each side, you could contact DMV for where they should be placed on your boat.
    This is great for Registration Numbers, but I believe the OP is looking for a placard for his Hull ID...think VIN # on your car.

  4. #4
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    This is great for Registration Numbers, but I believe the OP is looking for a placard for his Hull ID...think VIN # on your car.
    I found.....
    Boat manufacturer only.
    If you can find a similar boat and get the info, you can make up your own placard.




  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    Most boats have the HIN displayed in two places. One on the placard/metal plate attached to the stern and another in a "hidden" location. Depending on the design/maker you could just google and find out where the other place is.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  6. #6

    Default

    What kind of boat does the OP have? Should make the answer to his questions much easier to find.

  7. #7

    Default

    OK guys...I have the hin. I just need to find someone who can make a couple placards. This is a Harvey Dory a project boat that was stripped down to the fiberglass shell. Harvey imprinted the # on the aluminum splash well trim which was gone when I got the boat....but it is present on my registration. I'll call a sign shop as Tearbear suggested. Thanks for the help!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Try "Signs Now" in Anchorage. Ask for Dee Dee.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Try "Signs Now" in Anchorage. Ask for Dee Dee.
    Thanks for the referral, lakeside!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •