Thread: Hull Identification Numbers

Default Hull Identification Numbers

Anyone know where I can have some hull identification placards made up? Mine only exist on my paper registration...I think there are supposed to be two on the boat. I'm not positive about that but I do know for sure that I have none.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Anyone know where I can have some hull identification placards made up? Mine only exist on my paper registration...I think there are supposed to be two on the boat. I'm not positive about that but I do know for sure that I have none.
    Yes, try under signs in the yellow pages and find someone who makes those vinyl stick on signs like they make for your vehicle. You can pick out what size you need, they should be block style and visible, ( The ones we ordered reflect the light when you shine a light on them, making them visible when it's dark out.) within six inches of your validation/year sticker. The ones we got, all the numbers and letters are all together on a sheet, peel & stick. Make sure the surface is clean & dry, use a hair dryer to warm up the hull before sticking. That's what we did for our new (now older) boat. You need two of them one for each side of the boat, I'm not real sure where they should officially be placed, we have ours on the hull near the front on each side, you could contact DMV for where they should be placed on your boat.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Yes, try under signs in the yellow pages and find someone who makes those vinyl stick on signs like they make for your vehicle. You can pick out what size you need, they should be block style and visible, ( The ones we ordered reflect the light when you shine a light on them, making them visible when it's dark out.) within six inches of your validation/year sticker. The ones we got, all the numbers and letters are all together on a sheet, peel & stick. Make sure the surface is clean & dry, use a hair dryer to warm up the hull before sticking. That's what we did for our new (now older) boat. You need two of them one for each side of the boat, I'm not real sure where they should officially be placed, we have ours on the hull near the front on each side, you could contact DMV for where they should be placed on your boat.
    This is great for Registration Numbers, but I believe the OP is looking for a placard for his Hull ID...think VIN # on your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    This is great for Registration Numbers, but I believe the OP is looking for a placard for his Hull ID...think VIN # on your car.
    I found.....
    Boat manufacturer only.
    If you can find a similar boat and get the info, you can make up your own placard.

Most boats have the HIN displayed in two places. One on the placard/metal plate attached to the stern and another in a "hidden" location. Depending on the design/maker you could just google and find out where the other place is.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

What kind of boat does the OP have? Should make the answer to his questions much easier to find.

OK guys...I have the hin. I just need to find someone who can make a couple placards. This is a Harvey Dory a project boat that was stripped down to the fiberglass shell. Harvey imprinted the # on the aluminum splash well trim which was gone when I got the boat....but it is present on my registration. I'll call a sign shop as Tearbear suggested. Thanks for the help!

Try "Signs Now" in Anchorage. Ask for Dee Dee.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Try "Signs Now" in Anchorage. Ask for Dee Dee.
    Thanks for the referral, lakeside!