Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fern spaulding rivers 10 years old Amazing hunter!

Post Fern spaulding rivers 10 years old Amazing hunter!

Check this out! http://www.larryrivers.com/fern.htm
    Fern is 10 years old! And have already taken several big game animals including marco polo sheep,african plains game,dall sheep and an brown bear taken in may 2006 scoring 29 1/16″ with an 11'7'' hide(see photo above)
    I just want everybody out there to appreciate Fern and her hunting career!
    Keep up the good work Fern!You are awsome!

She's taken nice animals and based on the promotional web site seems to enjoy hunting, but somehow the thought of a 10 year old with a hunting "career" is a little troubling to me.

Default wow...

big deal...with money anything is possible.
    must be tough..
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thumbs up Sheesh!

Aren't you two something. Why would her hunting be 'troubling'? and why would you add your 'with money anything is possible'.

Really?? Money makes you work hard? Money makes you a good shot? She works harder then probably anyone of our kids in here.

I for one am amazed that she has done so well, and I hope she is able to do it her entire life. Wouldn't we all like that??

Amazing that anyone would say anything negative about her impressive acheivments.

Fern, you are impressive! Keep it up!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Nukalpiaq

In our Yup'ik language, she is a "Nukalpiaq" (Good Hunter). All 3 of my daughters enjoy hunting too. Good luck and be safe.

Thumbs up she done good...

Money or not it takes heart to get up high and kill a dall. It takes guts to pull on a huge brownie and it takes a whole lot of toughness to take a Marco Polo--thats some rugged country and thin air.
    The kid done good.
    Hey, it beats video gaming 24/7!

Denali: I didn't say her hunting was troubling. I said a 10 year old with a hunting "career" troubles me. Doesn't that seem a little contrived to you? A career of hunting at 10 years old? Did she come up with that or did Larry? If you know Larry then you know where it came from. I'm sure she is a great hunter, hell all her animals are bigger than mine.

My kids have enjoyed shooting, hunting, camping, fishing and many other outdoor activities since they were very small kids. I would like to think that thier mom and I have "introduced" them to the great outdoors, much in the same manor that the outdoors,hunting & fishing, and conservation were introduced to us by the grandparents, other realitives & freinds. This is a common tradition engrained from many generations of outdoor people, from many different area's around the globe.

However, I've got mixed emotions about this thread subject and exactly what message is being sent & precieved.
    Seems to me there is too much personal ego driven "success" and "score keeping" being pushed.......just my opinion. As much as anyone, maybe more than some, I'm fully aware of "trophy hunting" and have personally seen & experinced some negative effects, from a minority few people, it has on conservation of our resource and lifestyle of modern "sport hunters".

Its pretty clear that this young person is being groomed to be the youngest recipient, and very posibly the only female, of some major hunting awards, like; weatherby award, leoupold, some of the various SCI award levels, and the such.......

I've got mixed feeling about all of this..............

Score Keeping and trophy hunting is not what its about!!.I just wanted everybody to see who Fern is and post her website link
    Last edited by Webmaster; 04-18-2007 at 08:49. Reason: Language

Default Great Young Hunter

I can't help but believe if she was a young man, people would be more able to appreciate that she loves hunting and wants to do the best she can. I believe I hear a little jealous talking out there. I know I am. Hope she has a great and long career as a hunter.

This thread is a good example of what is wrong with the hunting community, today! Whether she has gone on very expensive hunts (obviously), whether she is being "groomed" to receive awards, whether she is being "steered" into a career of hunting (as are many others - i.e. gymnastics, ice skating, etc.)... IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE! What she has achieved is remarkable! Whether you are a "trophy hunter" or "meat hunter"... whether you believe in hunting with a gun, or bow, or club, or your bare hands - we all need to stick together and support one anothers methods and ethics of hunting. I,for one, am very impressed and applaud her for what she has achieved. What a great representative for the "hunting community". Keep up the good work.

Question sve hunter

Quote Originally Posted by svehunter View Post
    Score Keeping and trophy hunting is not what its about!!.I just wanted everybody to see who Fern is and post her website link
    Howdy Sve: In a previous thread awile back, you mentioned that the bear in your avatar was not one you shot, and now I ask, is that you in the avatar or Fern, or are you both the one and same? Just curious, because the photo with Fern and her brownie seems to be the same as your avatar. Like I stated, no big deal, just wondering. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MEtracker View Post
    This thread is a good example of what is wrong with the hunting community, today! Whether she has gone on very expensive hunts (obviously), whether she is being "groomed" to receive awards, whether she is being "steered" into a career of hunting (as are many others - i.e. gymnastics, ice skating, etc.)... IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE! What she has achieved is remarkable! Whether you are a "trophy hunter" or "meat hunter"... whether you believe in hunting with a gun, or bow, or club, or your bare hands - we all need to stick together and support one anothers methods and ethics of hunting. I,for one, am very impressed and applaud her for what she has achieved. What a great representative for the "hunting community". Keep up the good work.
    Applauds! Thank you! Thats exaxtly right she is a grat representative for the hunting community!And all hunters need to stick together if we wanna hunt in the future!Why fight eachother?When the ones we should be worried about is the antis

A friend I know, who's owns the worlds foremost outfitter (Legendary safaris LTD) his daughter, who also turned 10 last spring took an 11 foot brownie on the Pen. he and his kids hunt all over the world, you can also look them up on the Boone and Crockett web site, thats all they shoot are trophy class animals....K

Are you sure it isnt Fern?And i tought Cabelas was the worlds foremost outfitter lol

No, but he knows Larry rivers ( the girls father ) fairly well too. Go to Legendarysafaris.com and you will see.....K

Default Awsome

SVEhunter,

Fern looks like she is doing very well. I am simple amazed by her ability, commitment, and pure love of the outdoors and hunting.

Do you guys have any videos of the hunts? I would love to see this young girl on some hunting videos. I think it would only add to her amazing accomplishments.
    It would give video junkies like me some awsome entertainment and keep the skeptics at bay as well
    I am from Utah and only dream of most of the hunts Fern has been on.
    If you guys have any interest in hunting Mule deer or Elk let me know and I would be glad to assist any way I can.
    I love seeing kids with all this enthusiasm. It gives me alot to think about with my little girl Alexis. She is only 4 now but loves to hunt and fish with mom and dad. I cant wait to get her up to Alaska next year to go camping and fishing in the summer. Who knows maybe in a few more years we will even be able to hunt with her there as well

Thanks for posting the website link. I will be following her accomplishments and cant wait to see her next one. I have shown my little girl the website and she asked if she could be like that too
    Fern you already have girls looking up to you. Keep up the great work.

Russ
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

Russ thats great!I dont think Fern videos here hunts btw
    Im glad that your daughter liked the website,its all about making sure there is a future for hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by nmhunter'swife View Post
    I can't help but believe if she was a young man, people would be more able to appreciate that she loves hunting and wants to do the best she can. I believe I hear a little jealous talking out there. I know I am. Hope she has a great and long career as a hunter.
    I don't think it's so much jealousy... I have a 10 year old son. I bring him rabbit, bird,and squirrel hunting just like my Dad did. Maybe this year I'll bring him black bear hunting. But only if I feel like he's ready to do that.

My problem with Fern and her "accomplishments" have nothing to do with her being a girl. It has to do with her starting out with such phenominal trouphies! What do you think she'll have to look forward to in 5 - 10 - or 15 years if she's already taken the biggest representative of every game animal on the planet. I don't think she's old enough to appreciate what she's doing!

There are photo's of this little girl on the board at Sportsman's Warehouse. I've been standing there when perfect stranger's have commented to me in a negative way that she is too young to take such nice animals. I think this is the general concensus and I agree!

I don't know the little girl or her parent's. I have a hard time believing that this child grew up dreaming of taking a 11' brown bear and saved and planned on the hunt like we would. Which is half the fun. She is the perfect example of our "Fast Food" society. What does she get out of this? Does she hang out with a bunch of grown-ups sharing her experiences around a campfire? I doubt it seriously....

This has more to do with the parents I believe! Yall can think it's cool and pat her on the back all you want, but she didn't really do anything other than follow her Dad and a guide around to get these animals! What's so specail about that?

- Clint

Thumbs down

Yeah thats right you dont know here parents or Fern,so why are you talking about things you have no clue about.Why cant a 10 year old girl be interested in hunting?I dont know Ferns parents or Fern, but i dont make assumptions about people i dont know!Stop being ignorant please

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast