Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!! the new Ferry Trail...

  1. #1
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Exclamation ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!! the new Ferry Trail...

    took a run up Ferry this last week... i will follow up later... running full speed trying to get partner out of state... so here are the high lites for anyone headed to ferry this year.

    1.. no parking.. Eva creek wind farm has over 200 cars trucks on this side of bridge.. the new parking lots/ man camps, and facilitys are privately owned land and leased to eval creek wind farm project.

    .
    THE road work has limited shoulder parking out to highway..


    parking in the pullout on the high way will be first come first serve
    .


    2.. over 150 pick ups on other side of bridge.. 12 towers and wind mills are up, expected to be running by mid Oct,

    3... supper highway into ferry. speed limits and such are expected to be followed.

    old trails and side roads are hard to find now.. i missed the road to liberty bell mine both times going by it.. and i know where its at..

    4... local land owners( some off them) are already fed up with parking issues, hunters into ferry are going to exasperate that issues this year ,,, as it is often an issue every fall. no parking means NO PARKING. you'll go in and come out to your truck towed.

    ferry road






    and one from boot hill.. those that have been there know where this is. i have more and will post up later.

    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Thank you finally relief for unit 13 people are changing hunting plans as we speak.

  3. #3
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,119

    Default

    HOLY SHOOT! Used to have a camp back up there off Elsie Creek for 10 years. Looks like things have changed dramatically.
    Do you know if Devere Paschele (sp) is still alive? He had the house right at the bottom of the tracks where you crossed the RR bridge and turned up into the hills, (mayor of Ferry).
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Thanks for posting pics, I can't believe how that area has changed. Do you have any photos at the bridge ATV-RR crossing?

  5. #5
    Member ArcticNorseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Nice pics Vince -- I was curious how that was looking. From what I've heard, the bulk of the installations (towers and support facilities) will wrap-up in early Sep. There will still be some (maybe fewer) contractors in that area through moose season.

    As I recall the project, the road improvements went about 9 - 10 miles where the windfarm was being installed. The trail had to be improved for crane and rigs used for the towers and generators. After that, doesn't the trail return to normal as you head down the backside of the grade toward California creek?

    Is the tressel ATV path the same as always? Nothing wider than 46" fits through?

    In the grand scheme of Ferry Trail, this construction impacts about 12 square miles of what, 500 square miles? I suspect most of the good moose habitat remains in great shape and is a few miles from all the activity at the trail and wind farm.

  6. #6
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    HOLY SHOOT! Used to have a camp back up there off Elsie Creek for 10 years. Looks like things have changed dramatically.
    Do you know if Devere Paschele (sp) is still alive? He had the house right at the bottom of the tracks where you crossed the RR bridge and turned up into the hills, (mayor of Ferry).
    Thanks
    yep he is still there and doing quite well.... talked to him the other day... and has the same concernes i do, Hunters will have no where to park... and it will be a mess come the first

    Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Thanks for posting pics, I can't believe how that area has changed. Do you have any photos at the bridge ATV-RR crossing?
    nope i dont... it reamains unchanged. with no KNOWN plans to update it... the Eva crk wind farm has shipped everything in on RR flat car.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  7. #7
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    the important thing to remember, is there are 300-350 people per day crossing the bridge for work. the facilitys and parking that are there are ON PRIVATE LAND, leased to the wind project.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  8. #8
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticNorseman View Post
    Nice pics Vince -- I was curious how that was looking. From what I've heard, the bulk of the installations (towers and support facilities) will wrap-up in early Sep. There will still be some (maybe fewer) contractors in that area through moose season.

    As I recall the project, the road improvements went about 9 - 10 miles where the windfarm was being installed. The trail had to be improved for crane and rigs used for the towers and generators. After that, doesn't the trail return to normal as you head down the backside of the grade toward California creek?

    Is the tressel ATV path the same as always? Nothing wider than 46" fits through?

    In the grand scheme of Ferry Trail, this construction impacts about 12 square miles of what, 500 square miles? I suspect most of the good moose habitat remains in great shape and is a few miles from all the activity at the trail and wind farm.
    boot hill is the 10mile-ish mark i believe. the wind farm exctends more then a couple miles across the ridges. above Eva creek down past the old drag line and towards blairs. the power sub station takes up several acers. and each mill is on roughly a 5 acer pad.

    it is 22 miles to my claim via ferry bridge.. i now have about 4 miles of trail vs the 8-10 i did have.




    as a note also.. the one small pit on the left going in.. that is normally full of RV's and trailers is about 3' deep in water this fall... parking on either side of the road in that area, will require heavy equipment to extract vehicles from the mud
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Guess we'll wait 'til things cool down a bit out there before taking another trip in.
    Thanks for posting.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    739

    Default

    Another government boondoggle with wasted taxpayers dollars. Windfarms down here have raised the electricity rates and ruined the skyline. Wait til the blades take a beating, get off balance and tear up the gears. They will never ever pay for themselves. But at least it makes the enviro wackos feel good.

  11. #11
    Member iusckeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Another government boondoggle with wasted taxpayers dollars. Windfarms down here have raised the electricity rates and ruined the skyline. Wait til the blades take a beating, get off balance and tear up the gears. They will never ever pay for themselves. But at least it makes the enviro wackos feel good.
    I'ld like to read where you got this information from. That's the first I have heard of this.

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Amchorage
    Posts
    1

    Default Speed limits on Ferry Trail?

    What is the speed limit your talking about on the Ferry Trail? Was planning on taking a group on three wheelers/meat trailers back to Cal. Creek. Have been down the tral three times but was four years ago. Going with the DM770 any bull. Should I reconsider? Rex trail sucks... not sure I ever want to go there again! Any other options with ATV's?


    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    took a run up Ferry this last week... i will follow up later... running full speed trying to get
    partner out of state... so here are the high lites for anyone headed to ferry this year.

    1.. no parking.. Eva creek wind farm has over 200 cars trucks on this side of bridge.. the new parking lots/ man camps, and facilitys are privately owned land and leased to eval creek wind farm project.

    .
    THE road work has limited shoulder parking out to highway..


    parking in the pullout on the high way will be first come first serve
    .


    2.. over 150 pick ups on other side of bridge.. 12 towers and wind mills are up, expected to be running by mid Oct,

    3... supper highway into ferry. speed limits and such are expected to be followed.

    old trails and side roads are hard to find now.. i missed the road to liberty bell mine both times going by it.. and i know where its at..

    4... local land owners( some off them) are already fed up with parking issues, hunters into ferry are going to exasperate that issues this year ,,, as it is often an issue every fall. no parking means NO PARKING. you'll go in and come out to your truck towed.

    ferry road






    and one from boot hill.. those that have been there know where this is. i have more and will post up later.


  13. #13
    Member AK DUCKMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Wow that just makes me want to puke. The last time I was in there was around 87. I don't think I want to ever go back there and have to look at that ****

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    All that great pre-trip report from Ferry, but I missed the part about the recommendation where to park unmolested.

  15. #15
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Steve ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    took a run up Ferry this last week... i will follow up later... running full speed trying to get partner out of state... so here are the high lites for anyone headed to ferry this year.

    1.. no parking.. Eva creek wind farm has over 200 cars trucks on this side of bridge.. the new parking lots/ man camps, and facilitys are privately owned land and leased to eval creek wind farm project.

    .
    THE road work has limited shoulder parking out to highway..


    parking in the pullout on the high way will be first come first serve
    .


    2.. over 150 pick ups on other side of bridge.. 12 towers and wind mills are up, expected to be running by mid Oct,

    3... supper highway into ferry. speed limits and such are expected to be followed.

    old trails and side roads are hard to find now.. i missed the road to liberty bell mine both times going by it.. and i know where its at..

    4... local land owners( some off them) are already fed up with parking issues, hunters into ferry are going to exasperate that issues this year ,,, as it is often an issue every fall. no parking means NO PARKING. you'll go in and come out to your truck towed.

    ferry road






    and one from boot hill.. those that have been there know where this is. i have more and will post up later.

    .................................................. .
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  16. #16
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rize View Post
    What is the speed limit your talking about on the Ferry Trail? Was planning on taking a group on three wheelers/meat trailers back to Cal. Creek. Have been down the trail three times but was four years ago. Going with the DM770 any bull. Should I reconsider? Rex trail sucks... not sure I ever want to go there again! Any other options with ATV's?

    your biggest hurdle will be parking... i will expect similar numbers to hunters as last year... and a larger frustration factor on all sides.. the contractors are under contract to do a job and will not be expected to accommodate hunters beyond to great a point.


    i ran into a group of about 6 and another of 3 hunters in there this weekend.. they were in the only spots a person could get off the shoulder along the main ferry road.. I forgot the ANTLERLESS tags had started 10 days earlier then i was used to.. now the 15 instead of 25th..

    the main road speed limit is 25 mph. due to the amount of traffic.. many of the trucks passing us on our wheelers DID NOT make the presence known.. the just came up from behind and blew by.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    parking in the pullout on the high way will be first come first serve.
    Ah, I see that now. Thank you Mr. Holton. Looks like I'd better get some stronger reading glasses.

  18. #18

    Default

    Rex might be better option!

  19. #19
    Member oakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    I'ld like to read where you got this information from. That's the first I have heard of this.
    Quite a bit of information out there. Many people think these turbines go in and the electricity is "free" after that. Actually, the up front cost takes a long time to pay off, usually in the form of higher cost to end users. Then add in the impact of what happens when the wind isn't blowing, or blowing too fast or too slow. And of course there are maintenance costs that must be accounted for.

    http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/08/0...d-inefficient/

    http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...d-7966174.html

    http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...n-robert-bryce

    http://www.energytribune.com/article...-Scale-Problem

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/9...gy-policy.html

  20. #20
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    I will be headed back in on Saturday to work on the dozer and pumps... i have not located my camera since i came out last weekend.. and will take new photos with the phone down at the road... surprising news is... the caribou have moved over there some what... ( at the totat) and 6 bulls have come out of there this year, that i have heard of. its been a lot of years since more then one or two have been on that side.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •