Thread: Murkowski on importance of fish

Default Murkowski on importance of fish

http://www.frontiersman.com/news/mur...9bb2963f4.html

So if there are no fish returning to the Mat-Su, good times for the guides are over. Thats all that salmon mean to the Valley, according to Murky.

As usual, us sport fishermen are the least of anyone's concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    http://www.frontiersman.com/news/mur...9bb2963f4.html

So if there are no fish returning to the Mat-Su, good times for the guides are over. Thats all that salmon mean to the Valley, according to Murky.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Lightbulb

WASILLA — Lisa Murkowski said she’s concerned about salmon fishing in the Mat-Su Borough, but also throughout the state. And she’s not just concerned about the fish returns being dismally low this year.

“My concern is that this is not just a bad fish year, it might be a bad fish decade,” she said Friday at a meeting with the Frontiersman’s editorial board.

Fish mean different things to people in different parts of the state. In Mat-Su, it means a good living for guides. In the Yukon-Kuskokwim region, though, it means food.

“Fish equals life, really,” Murkowski said.

She said she believes the problem is not that one area is getting all the fish and another isn’t. She said she thinks something is going on in the ocean.

“I want to know what’s happening with ocean survivability,” she said.

Some say it has something to do with water temperature.

“If that is the case and it’s going to be a 10-year swing, our economies need to start thinking about that,” she said.