Thread: 308 Browning X Bolt Report

Default 308 Browning X Bolt Report

Wow, after 3 months of blistering heat I was finally blessed with a Sunday morning of 65 degree temps, no wind and light cloud cover - so off to my range I went! I had bought a XBolt this past winter and had done the prelim breakins and load work ups and had settled on one that had promiss - now to fine tune the COL..

I was very happy with the results - about as good as this shaky old dude can do anymore on any given day - pushed 165 grain Nosler Partitions with 43 grains of 4064 - little over 2600 fps... The Hornady Interlocks did as well and if'n I was wanting to save a few bucks while poking holes in paper that would be a great budget load and fine for hunting as well.
    I can find no faults with the XBOLT, feels great to hold, balanced well, stock is very very nice for grip and comfort, trigger a bit stiff for paper punching but excellent for hunting and I will leave it alone.. All in all a nice firearm....

When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nice shooting for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I picked one up last year, will hunt with it this year. Getting -1 inch groups and love shooting it. Question to you, have you had any issues with bumping the clip and it releasing. I haven't but that is my only concern with the gun. That is the only thing that I like better about the Abolt and the way the clip locked into it.

In this particular case I like the Abolt better I have to say and the way the mag loads is one of the best features - Had they just engineered a loaded bolt release and a more open trigger design I would still be using them for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    I picked one up last year, will hunt with it this year. Getting -1 inch groups and love shooting it. Question to you, have you had any issues with bumping the clip and it releasing. I haven't but that is my only concern with the gun. That is the only thing that I like better about the Abolt and the way the clip locked into it.
    Hi Fergy,
    I think the clip release is recessed enough to avoid getting opened by accident pretty well, I have an ABolt in 300wm and I have knocked it open a couple of times so I thought the XBolt was actually an improvement in design. With a full clip and the bolt closed it is a little finicky to insert the clip and lock it in place - works pretty slick with an open bolt though.
    I think it would be a good investment to buy a second clip if the gun were to be used on remote hunts no matter what the brand....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I love mine too... The stainless version is very nice for damp conditions. I like that it is a genuine short action which saves some weight, unlike cheaper models that use the same length action for the longer calibers (like 30-06). I also love that short bolt throw.

Mine is about a 1 MOA rifle from the bench... That'll do!

I have had my xbolt in the field on hunting and hiking trips and have not had any issues with the clip being released.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

sure wish they'd come out with a lefty stainless/composite. They sure have a bunch of lefty in the old wood/blue.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am