Thread: Floating Lake Creek in a couple of weeks

Question Floating Lake Creek in a couple of weeks

We'll be chasing the rainbows and maybe the silvers (if the run improves). Any suggestions? I'm thinking beads and flesh for the bows, primarily at the confluences with the clearwater tribs. But I'd love to get thoughts from people with more experience on this river. It's my first trip out there.

Get in touch with Ken at Ken's Custom Rods in Fairbanks. Great Guy always willing to share data.

http://k-kustomrods.com/

He loves Lake Creek and August

Thanks, BlueMoose. I'll give him a call.

Monkey Dad: My wife and I and our two dogs just returned from a Lake Creek float yesterday, and the fishing was good. I am an amateur fly fisherman; however, I slayed the bows by drifting an egg pattern fly through areas that looked good for fish. Bow fishing seemed very, very good 5-7 miles upstream of the Yentna confluence; however, I fished this area harder than others since I finally convinced by bride to jump on the oars. I caught plenty of silvers up high using a pink fly that looked like a streamer. I noticed that the silvers are attracted to fast action, and I caught most of the silvers when I was retrieving the fly rather quickly.

The rapids were fairly straight forward due to low water levels. We navigated the second set of rapids (I think the ones must discussed on this float) by starting way left and working to the center. You drop through a chute toward a big boulder, so you need to move to the right rather quickly to hit the next opening. Awesome trip...caught lots of fish, saw three bears at fairly close range, and got some great exercise dodging all of the boulders.

By the way, be careful on the very lower end of the float on the little lake creek section of the float. There are at least two blind log jams that would certainly put you in a pinch if you take the wrong route. I recommend that once you hit the heavily timbered area where the river gets very windy and narrow that you scout the bends to see the entire flow path before committing. Problems could range from dangerous to lots of work with cutting a flow path or packing gear.

This is a really fun float. Have a great time and be safe!

TAC, thanks! Good to hear that the bows are there in numbers. I'm getting pumped for the trip.

Also appreciate the heads up on the rapids and logjams. Did you take the little Lake Creek route or stay on the main channel?

We took the little lake creek route. The old route didn't have much water. Enjoy...this is a great trip!

There was a big ass log that blocked off the main Lake Creek route last year. Little Lake Creek was the only way to go. Did someone blow that log out?
    Piscor Ergo Sum