Thread: winter wheeler use

Default winter wheeler use

I have a polaris 700 sportsman I want to put a plow on

I think it's a 2004 or 2005
    It does NOT have EFI

The manual says something about not operating it under some temp (20F? can't recall it's down at camp now)

Will I need to rejet this thing to use it in the winter for plowing etc?

Default Re: winter wheeler use

Mine worked fine down to -10 or so. Any colder and it would not start outside very easily.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Should work just fine. My relatives down in Minnesota use them all winter for plowing and icefishing.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Default winter wheeler use

Our grizzly 660 would work just fine outside here in anchorage all winter, BUT it was stores inside the heated garage.

If it was left outside for a few hours an was allowed to cool starting it was a bit more challenging with the choke and blipping the throttle. Then you had to keep it running. Once it warms up they perform fine. Hope this helps!

My 660 Rhino wouldn't start under about 10F without a lot of prodding and external heating. If you aren't storing it in a heated garage you may have trouble.

My FI Hondas and CanAms will start a fair bit colder than that.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I think it says some kind of engine dammage may occur so I was thinking it was a "too lean" issue thus requiring rejetting.

No???

We use our 6x6 for plowing, stored in a heated garage though.
    Have also ran it on the river to the cabin and such where it was not stored in a heated space. Never had a problem.
    We keep a Yamaha Grizzly out at the cabin, cold storage, never been a problem either.
    BK

We've ridden our Grizzly 700's down to -20F. They are garaged for storage, however. But they operated just fine at -20F.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default Re: winter wheeler use

There was an update around those years for the crankcase breather hose during cold weather operation. The fix was an insulated hose. I believe the problem was the breather plugging up with ice and possibly blowing out oil seals due to a pressurized crankcase.

Google came up with this:
    http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...se-update.html
    "I'd rather be fishing!"