Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sandhills

Default sandhills

ive got a remington 870 express mag, and i was wondering what is the ideal bb size in 12 ga? i was thinking 1 1/4oz of BB. thanks for the help

Killed them with 2 3/4 2's BB's and T's 3in same thing,,,3 1/2in same thing...if you can get within range 30-40 yards..let em rip. Dont let the size of the bird fool ya..They are big, lead appropriatly and in the past we just aimed for head due to the long neck..either drill the brain, break the neck, wing or straight through the heart!. Regardless they fall hard and taste great grilled with some BBQ sause and onions. Or add a little garlic powder and some good ol butter, wrap the breast in foil, place on hot grill and wait 5 mins, flip 5 more and done. not bad deep fried turkey style either.

Have fun
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

thanks for the help!!

where does one start looking for sand hills.... im new here so.... send me a pm please...

Quote Originally Posted by bigunga1 View Post
    where does one start looking for sand hills.... im new here so.... send me a pm please...

I tend to see them in the skies, but sometimes they're on land.

More seriously, you'll have a hard time getting people to tell you where to look for birds. There are limited places to hunt up here and more and more people hunting (it seems) each year. Also, because of the lay of the land up here, there are literally birds all over the place. Chances are, if you find a place that you can legally hunt AND find water on it, it'll have waterfowl at some time.

ok man..do some research on sandhill cranes in alaska. not going to tell you where u can go find them... but considering they are crains and not ducks...I would think fields might help along with shallow marshes might narrow it down a bit...come late august into sept if you live in the valley go outside and listen in the mornings and evenings...you will figure it out. if you are in anchorage...drive to the valley and pull over on the side of the road at the same times listed above and watxh the sky and listen...again it will be easy to figure it out.

I will add this, there is a place called Delta Junction, heard they have a few. search the forum and internet.

I would not waste your time chasing them in AK. if while duckhunting the chance comes...take it.not big numbers like down south and not worth the time it takes to locate and isolate them.

good luck

President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    ok man..do some research on sandhill cranes in alaska. not going to tell you where u can go find them... but considering they are crains and not ducks...I would think fields might help along with shallow marshes might narrow it down a bit...come late august into sept if you live in the valley go outside and listen in the mornings and evenings...you will figure it out. if you are in anchorage...drive to the valley and pull over on the side of the road at the same times listed above and watxh the sky and listen...again it will be easy to figure it out.

I will add this, there is a place called Delta Junction, heard they have a few. search the forum and internet.

I would not waste your time chasing them in AK. if while duckhunting the chance comes...take it.not big numbers like down south and not worth the time it takes to locate and isolate them.

good luck

They can be had in AK relatively easy, but you didn't hear it from me!! Check your PM!

me and my buddy see them out in point mackenzie, im not saying go hunt there mostly because we want to get them, just trying to help as other people help me. but if you know the type of terrain there then you will find them in areas like that, we see them hangin around little muskeg ponds. where there is tundra, and we notice the areas we see them have lots of frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I tend to see them in the skies, but sometimes they're on land.

More seriously, you'll have a hard time getting people to tell you where to look for birds. There are limited places to hunt up here and more and more people hunting (it seems) each year. Also, because of the lay of the land up here, there are literally birds all over the place. Chances are, if you find a place that you can legally hunt AND find water on it, it'll have waterfowl at some time.
    really.... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birdhunter1997 View Post
    me and my buddy see them out in point mackenzie, im not saying go hunt there mostly because we want to get them, just trying to help as other people help me. but if you know the type of terrain there then you will find them in areas like that, we see them hangin around little muskeg ponds. where there is tundra, and we notice the areas we see them have lots of frogs.
    thank you birdhunter for a sensible answer...

thank you birdhunter for a sensible answer...

Maybe do a little searching before you just ask where to hunt something. No one is going to tell you where to go exactly, and I'd be careful you aren't gonna get sent on a wild goose chase just for asking. Too many people get on here and ask where to go, half the fun is getting out and finding them. I gave you a sensible answer, a very sensible answer. Don't expect anyone to tell you and get out and look. Doesn't get much more sensible than that. Sorry I didn't give you coordinates on a silver platter, but if someone here knows, chances are they learned it by gettin out and figuring it out. I kill cranes and I've spent many days out trying to figure out how and where. Many long and hard days, one was one of the hardest days I've ever had in the field regardless of what I was hunting. I'm not going to give you information that I busted my ass to obtain just because you ask for it. Also, too many people come on here asking "where" and not enough people ask "how." IF I were to tell you where to go, how do I know you don't have some rookie game plan to go in there and try to sky bust anything within a quarter mile and now my crane spots are worthless. There's too much risk involved to just hand over this information.

I'll tell you how to find cranes, and this is no BS. LISTEN. Carry binoculars with you everywhere. When you hear cranes, find them in the glass and watch them until you can't see them anymore. Then, the next day, get closer to where you couldn't see them anymore and do it again. Repeat until they land, and hopefully you can hunt there. Enjoy.

d&d sir,

you are right.. it was my mistake asking where to start looking.... i should have known better after 27 years of duck and goose hunting in 10 different states...now that i have moved to the great state of alaska i get to learn all over again where to go hunting and fishing and i also get to learn the hard way whom to talk to and whom not to talk to... its no wonder why fowling is such a secretive sport... i fully understand why more and more people hunt by themselves and why they refuse to help new people to an area or to the sport altogether...its because of all the asshats they run across on the way... the general public is unreal and its getting worse and worse... hopefully the LORD will come back soon and we will hopefully all be in a much better place...

what i received was a smart remark which i fully expected... what i do not expect is gps coordinates...i don't own one nor do i need one... i use topo maps and areal photos...google earth comes in handy too... i fully understand it takes 2 or 3 years to get a real good idea of an area... i understand the first year of hunting a new place is 75% scouting/learning and 25% hunting with killing something being a bonus...

what would be nice is a simple reply saying "you can start looking around so and so" or better yet a pm "which i specifically asked for" saying the same thing...

a good friend of mine told me something a long time ago... he said,

"WHEN SOMEBODY SHOWS YOU HOW THEY ARE, BELIEVE THEM THE FIRST TIME"

birdhunter sir,

thanks again for your response... i'll look into it sometime in the next season or two...

d&d sir,

you are right.. it was my mistake asking where to start looking.... i should have known better after 27 years of duck and goose hunting in 10 different states...now that i have moved to the great state of alaska i get to learn all over again where to go hunting and fishing and i also get to learn the hard way whom to talk to and whom not to talk to... its no wonder why fowling is such a secretive sport... i fully understand why more and more people hunt by themselves and why they refuse to help new people to an area or to the sport altogether...its because of all the asshats they run across on the way... the general public is unreal and its getting worse and worse... hopefully the LORD will come back soon and we will hopefully all be in a much better place...

what i received was a smart remark which i fully expected... what i do not expect is gps coordinates...i don't own one nor do i need one... i use topo maps and areal photos...google earth comes in handy too... i fully understand it takes 2 or 3 years to get a real good idea of an area... i understand the first year of hunting a new place is 75% scouting/learning and 25% hunting with killing something being a bonus...

what would be nice is a simple reply saying "you can start looking around so and so" or better yet a pm "which i specifically asked for" saying the same thing...

a good friend of mine told me something a long time ago... he said,

"WHEN SOMEBODY SHOWS YOU HOW THEY ARE, BELIEVE THEM THE FIRST TIME"

birdhunter sir,

thanks again for your response... i'll look into it sometime in the next season or two...

Well since you can't recieve PM's, how do you expect someone to do that right off the bat? And you're going to get the same answer from almost everyone on here, I just said it first. If someone does tell you where to go, chances are they haven't been there and killed them. I'm not telling you to start all over again, but if you've lived in 10 states and have been hunting for 27 years, don't get on a forum and ask, get outside and find out. I figured it out, and you've been at it longer than I've been alive, so you should definitely be able to.

thats what i figured...

thats what i figured...

Got it. Well, good luck. No way someone younger than you could possibly know anything. Good luck in finding them, I've given you my advice. Have fun this season! I figured someone with so much experience and wisdom would have thicker skin!

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Got it. Well, good luck. No way someone younger than you could possibly know anything. Good luck in finding them, I've given you my advice. Have fun this season!
    sir,

you have a wealth of knowledge about hunting in alaska... which i don't... but i'll get there one way or another...

good luck to you too...

sir,

you have a wealth of knowledge about hunting in alaska... which i don't... but i'll get there one way or another...

good luck to you too...

See, leading off with that desire would go a lot further than just outright asking. I'm all for helping new people, check the other waterfowl thread about a partner needed/wanted. He said he's been out scouting, knows how to hunt, has gear, etc. you sound honest and skilled enough, it just really irks me when people just ask. My apologies if it came out the wrong way...

The "Sandhills" are located in the middle of the panhandle in the State of Nebraska,. The Sandhill cranes, well that's another story!.. I've yet to see a flock grouping up for the flight south this fall, but I have seen several pairs flying around out my way..

birdhunter1997 sir,

i would like to apologize to you for hijacking your post...

and to answer your question, if you are head/neck shooting them with regular steel shot at 20 to 40 yards then #2,3,4 will be fine... if you are body shooting them at the same then bb,1,2's will work just fine... if your using a tungsten based shot then #4's is all you will need inside of 40-50 yards

hopefully you have patterned your gun with different loads and chokes to determine what your gun likes and dislikes... most use an improved cyl choke or a light modified choke with all the size shot from above... if you choke steel to tight it has an inverse affect...especially with the bigger shot...".005" constriction can make a big difference in patterns

good luck and again my apologies...

birdhunter1997 sir,

i would like to apologize to you for hijacking your post...

and to answer your question, if you are head/neck shooting them with regular steel shot at 20 to 40 yards then #2,3,4 will be fine... if you are body shooting them at the same then bb,1,2's will work just fine... if your using a tungsten based shot then #4's is all you will need inside of 40-50 yards

hopefully you have patterned your gun with different loads and chokes to determine what your gun likes and dislikes... most use an improved cyl choke or a light modified choke with all the size shot from above... if you choke steel to tight it has an inverse affect...especially with the bigger shot...".005" constriction can make a big difference in patterns

good luck and again my apologies...

Agreed, and it's also important to study their size. They're huge, and as such they can look like they're in range well before they actually are. Shot size won't matter if you shoot early. They fly pretty slow, so I usually wait until their feet are about to touch before I shoot, this way, IF they flare, I know I've waited until the last moment and that's as close as they'll get. If they're in range, you'll still have a shot, but if not, at least you didn't cripple one because with those wings, they can glide A LONG way before they go down!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast