Thread: Kenai DIY Float

Default Kenai DIY Float

I will be in Cooper Landing for a few days around September 20. I have rented a drift boat and plan to float the upper and maybe Skilak to Bings. I have done a couple guided floats on the river in past years but am looking forward to the DIY challenge. I am generally familiar with bead and flesh fly fishing. Is there anything specific I should know or consider in order to increase my hook ups? How much of a disadvantage will I be facing in not knowing specific runs, holding areas, redd locations etc?

Thanks for any help.

pmo

You have it pretty locked in with that plan of attack, I have always wanted to overnight it at the Skilak outlet. Just be familiar with bings landing, if u miss it you will have to go through the rapids. Have fun!

I would also stay at the outlet. Also, make sure your drift boat has an outboard big enough to handle Skilak lake. You definitely don't want to paddle across that lake. Good luck

Default Kenai DIY Float

Paddling Skilak isn't that bad. Took me 25 minutes, though another hour to hit current good enough to quit rowing lol

Outlet is a great place to camp! Just watch for bears.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I don't think it's a matter of rowing Skilak easily is the question, but having an outboard is a safety thing. Skilak gets ugly quick with big ass rollers, even in the Dunes. Don't want to be caught with your pants down if you know what I mean
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Paddling Skilak isn't that bad. Took me 25 minutes, though another hour to hit current good enough to quit rowing lol

Outlet is a great place to camp! Just watch for bears.
    We row it all the time, on a nice day it's not bad at all. On a windy day it's hell with white caps. Be sure to. E familiar with the rapids or pull out at bings landing.

Thanks guys,