Thread: Finding deep silvers in August

Default Finding deep silvers in August

Seems like a bunch of silvers have moved deeper right now. Wanted to throw that out there for you Seward fishermen. I heard everyone crying the blues today about the salmon not biting. I pulled into one of the common spots and marked some deep salmon - 120 - 180 feet deep and lit them up. Same for some of the spots farther down the coast.

Good luck

I would have to agree Andy, been fishing since Wednesday and have come back full every day but have to work for them. Deep has been the norm.

Folks, you also have to realize that plowing through holes on step will only push the fish deeper.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Seems like a bunch of silvers have moved deeper right now. Wanted to throw that out there for you Seward fishermen. I heard everyone crying the blues today about the salmon not biting. I pulled into one of the common spots and marked some deep salmon - 120 - 180 feet deep and lit them up. Same for some of the spots farther down the coast.

Good luck
    It would seem that it's about the same over here in K-Bay. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to fish for silvers lately (everyone wants to chase lings/rockfish for some odd reason), but I have heard that to catch salmon these days you have to be near the bottom. I have marked a LOT of bait closer to the bottom lately and marked some fish down there, too. Maybe it has something to do with water temperatures or salinity.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Yep, that`s what I found last week...deep fish from 80' and beyond. I reported getting one at 200'...the traffic is pushing them down.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    ...the traffic is pushing them down.
    I doubt it would be "traffic" that's pushing them down around Homer. I was fishing the Bluffs the other day and there was only one other boat around for about 2 hours. And I've heard they are out deep further out, too, like out around Pt. Adam and Cape Elizabeth. There certainly isn't a whole lot of boat traffic out that way to push them down.

AKCAPT,

Thanks for taking the time to provide useful information like this. I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Doug

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I have a hard time believing that traffic is pushing the silvers deep. There's no more traffic now than usual, and usually, silvers can be found easily at 20-40 feet deep. Every year (this year being an exception) there are large flotillas of boats around Cheval, Pony, Sunny, Callisto, Caines Head, DW, Cape Res etc, and the silvers have never seemed to mind. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've been out there with 50-60 other other boats in a small area with everyone just killing the silvers at 20-30 feet. Why would they suddenly be sensitive to "traffic" now? I believe there are usually silvers at those deeper depths, we just don't normally target them as there are usually plenty of fish much closer to the surface. The difference this year is...?????
    Last edited by Frostbitten; 08-20-2012 at 11:40. Reason: more info

Most of the sand lance bait balls were 60-180 feet deep on Saturday. Silvers, pinks, and kings were found below, to the side and mostly above the bait balls. We saw some huge bait balls at 180-220 feet with lots of salmon around them, but we didn't feel like fishing that deep and we didn't have to.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I have a hard time believing that traffic is pushing the silvers deep. There's no more traffic now than usual, and usually, silvers can be found easily at 20-40 feet deep. Every year (this year being an exception) there are large flotillas of boats around Cheval, Pony, Sunny, Callisto, Caines Head, DW, Cape Res etc, and the silvers have never seemed to mind. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've been out there with 50-60 other other boats in a small area with everyone just killing the silvers at 20-30 feet. Why would they suddenly be sensitive to "traffic" now? I believe there are usually silvers at those deeper depths, we just don't normally target them as there are usually plenty of fish much closer to the surface. The difference this year is...?????
    Yeh, the "traffic" comments just sound like sour grapes. The whole discussion about the boat wakes seems to have brought on a lot of comments this year. The merry-go-round that takes place at areas like Pony Cove and the like has never mattered when we all limit out. This year with slow catches of silvers, and discussions about offshore boat wake, have led to finger pointing. I'm not trying to say that boat traffic doesn't affect fishing. But something is clearly going on with Coho returns this year. I hope there are deep silvers still coming home to Seward and PWS. I still need to get my fish jonez taken care of this year!!!

Sorry this thread took a twist. Andy was only sharing that the silvers have been deep. Much deeper than normal. Yes silvers normally have been in the 20' to 40' depths. But this year as in the last 5 years I have been fishing Seward, it seems really strange that the silvers go deep, or stop biting if someone plows through a hole or bite area.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    Sorry this thread took a twist. Andy was only sharing that the silvers have been deep. Much deeper than normal. Yes silvers normally have been in the 20' to 40' depths. But this year as in the last 5 years I have been fishing Seward, it seems really strange that the silvers go deep, or stop biting if someone plows through a hole or bite area.
    You'll find that most threads "take a twist" on this forum. It's the nature of the beast. I once complained about a thread taking a twist and was admonished severely by a number of people saying that it's only natural for a discussion to take off in a different direction. Saying that the silvers are deep will inevitably result in people throwing in their two cents worth trying to say why it is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    You'll find that most threads "take a twist" on this forum. It's the nature of the beast. I once complained about a thread taking a twist and was admonished severely by a number of people saying that it's only natural for a discussion to take off in a different direction. Saying that the silvers are deep will inevitably result in people throwing in their two cents worth trying to say why it is happening.
    Muttley, oh I know - been reading these for years and for sure they twist. Just returning from the derby and did well on the silvers but had to work for them, and in many cases deep. My deepest was 185' this year, but was thinking they might be kings.

Maybe it was just an anomaly that when we fished heavy traffic areas in many cases I had to go deep, but when I idled into spots and was fishing by myself I caught fish very near the surface. But I've only been fishing for 45 years or so, so I'm sure I have a lot more to learn.

Safe boating and fishing to all...
    Tony

I was fishing in SE near juneau for the last two weeks and I'd say we caught more fish 5 or 6 cranks up from the bottom than we did right near the surface which was pretty unusual for us on silvers. There was TONS of small bait down near the bottom and I'm not even sure what it was. If it was herring, it was really really small herring. I think it was something else, honestly a lot of it looked like tiny cod. The salmon were down there near the bottom lighting them up.

How are you guys fishing to get so deep? Jigs, mooching???

mooching, no deeper than 60-70 feet on average. Going real slow or even anchored.

When we were mooching, we would drop to the bottom and jig a few times, reel up a few cranks and jig some more, and repeat until we got to the surface. We rarely made it back to the surface without a fish.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

We've been catching silvers down deep (120+ feet) for as long as I can remember on mooching rigs. I've caught them on the bottom on a herring baited circle hook in 380ft of water. They are just hanging with the feed.. that's all. I will say though, that my best coho fishing this year has been in less than 30ft of water, right on the kelp.

Dunno a thing about the Seward area, but around here the Pacific Sandfish spawn in late August. You'll see them as kind of a defined layer of "pepper grains" just off bottom in around 80' and deeper in the same areas every year. I'm not sure how deep they go, but when they're up off the bottom like now, they're magnets for salmon, even with balls of sand lance in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Dunno a thing about the Seward area, but around here the Pacific Sandfish spawn in late August. You'll see them as kind of a defined layer of "pepper grains" just off bottom in around 80' and deeper in the same areas every year. I'm not sure how deep they go, but when they're up off the bottom like now, they're magnets for salmon, even with balls of sand lance in the area.
    Thanks for the post. We jigged some of these up but had no idea what they were. We also jigged up a lot of what looked like little cod and little candlefish.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Thanks for the post. We jigged some of these up but had no idea what they were. We also jigged up a lot of what looked like little cod and little candlefish.
    Sounds like the buffet is open!