Thread: Packing for the air taxi!

Default Packing for the air taxi!

I consider myself a fairly light, efficient packer, utilizing a mix of 20L and 30L bags including my Barney's pack.

With flight limitations on what fits inside a plane, any tips tricks or advice on making the best and every bit count while packing?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

It is a lot easier to fit a lot of small items in a small plane rather than a few large items. That is something I always try to do. It makes it a little more complicated for me, but less complicated for the pilot. Not sure if that helps you but that is a general rule that I always try to follow when packing for an airplane hunt.

So far my strategy is 5gal buckets for food, mix of 20L and 30L dry bags which will stuff into 2 bigger duffel bags, 1 small action packer, like sized cooler and a loaded Barney's pack.

Should all be 185 friendly.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    So far my strategy is 5gal buckets for food, mix of 20L and 30L dry bags which will stuff into 2 bigger duffel bags, 1 small action packer, like sized cooler and a loaded Barney's pack.

Should all be 185 friendly.
    ARE you sure you'll be in a 185 ? Sometimes plans change. Plan for such.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Yep, 185 it is. Haven't weighed everything but I'm under 300# including raft.

how many people are going? If you have 3 people I would ditch the cooler and possibly the action packer as there wont be any room. Also I would make sure my Barney's bag isnt stuffed full of stuff making it easier to load.

Just came down from upstairs where I was packing myself. Flying to Bethel Saturday and spending 11 days on the Kwethluk. Packing sucks. Only thing worse than packing is packing then driving 6 hours up to Washington DC, then flying 4500 miles over the next 24 hours with it. But when the faint sound of the bush plane weans and I am standing on a gravel bar with only my thoughts, all is right in the world. That is the fabric of life and it is all worth it at that point.

For me, I use Pacific Outdoors Gobi Wytex dry bags (backpacks). The large are 84 liters and the small are about 35-40. Two of each is what I got as of now, and they are going to AK in two large rolling duffel bags (Cabelas Ripcord) which will be stored with the transporter. My gun, waders, boots, fly rods (in green LL bean plastic rod tubes), fly reels in dry bag, are all loose in the floor of the big duffle bags on my flight up.

I get there (Bethel) and put on my waders and boots, gun into leather and on me, then put all the fly rods, reels, etc.. into a smaller mesh duffle bag (gym bag style) that I left loose in the duffle bag. Me, raft/frame/oars, and the 4 Wytex bags will be on the flight out to the river. Blow raft up, load 4 Gobi bags in back, then leave the mesh duffle with fishing stuff accessible is my method. It is not perfect, but it is as good a system as I have figured out at this point. Wherever you are going, have a great trip man.

-Dan

Well time to break down the raft and get it into a pile! Finished getting it cleaned up and inspected, changed the relief valve and decided to grab a screen to block debri and plug just in case.