Thread: blueberry recipes

Default blueberry recipes

Here is one of my favorite blueberry recipes...What is yours???

Blueberry Buckle

4 tbsp. butter
    ½ cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 cup flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    ¼ tsp. salt
    1/3 cup milk

2 cups blueberries

Crumb topping:
    4 tbsp. Butter
    ½ cup sugar
    ½ tsp. cinnamon
    ½ cup flour

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt, (ah heck, I don’t sift it). Mix flour, creamed mixture and milk. Pour or spoon into baking dish. Cover evenly with blueberries.

To make topping: combine butter, sugar, cinnamon and flour with fork (or if you are a fancy chef then use two knives or a pastry blender) to make a crumbly mixture and sprinkle over blueberries.

Bake 40 minutes at 375 F.
    Makes 6 to 8 servings

Serve with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.

Note: this is best with fresh picked blueberries, but jarred or even jam will work until we can get the real thing! Enjoy!

Grandma Lori

Thumbs up

Thank you! Will give it a try before the week's out. . .

Now let me ask, would the recipe work as well with raspberries, strawberries, blackberries? Other fruit, say, like canned peaches, apricots?

I can't say if I have tried anything else besides blueberries and jams in the buckle, but I would think any kind of fruit would work just dandy.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me that it is strawberry season down south. I gotta get me a patch growing one of these years. I know there are several varieties that will work in Alaska. Just can't keep my garden from falling in the river during breakup , and getting the veggies in the ground always is the priority. One of these days I'll have the time and energy to work some ground out back for strawberries.

Thumbs up Outstanding . . .

Granny, I used your recipe last evening but substituted half strawberries and half raspberries, both frozen and thawed, for the blueberries. Also used half raw sugar and half white sugar where the recipe calls for sugar.

Outstanding! Can't wait now to try it with blueberries.

Thanks. . .

Default bear fat for the pie crust!

Have you ever tried substituting rendered bear fat for shortening or butter in pie crusts? A fall black bear that had been foraging on blueberries all summer has gobs of sweet fat. Render it down and use it instead of shortening or butter in your next blueberry pie for a super flaky crust. If you are skeptical about using it in a fruit pie, try it first in a meat potpie. It also works well in biscuits and muffins. Serve them with your game meat roasts, stews and soups. You won’t be disappointed!

Grandma Lori

Thanks for the recipe i'll try it this weekend. How do you render bear fat? does the best fat come from a perticular part of the bear?
    grin

Default rendering fat...

All of the fat from a bear is suitable for rendering! Here’s how I do it:

Trim all of the meat from the fat then chill or lightly freeze fat chunks for easier handling. Once cool, dice fine or better yet grind in a meat grinder. Cook slow and low for a few hours in a large, heavy pot. I cook it all day. Stir occasionally as the cracklings start floating. If it starts smoking then it is getting too hot. Strain hot liquid from the cracklings into a clean, airtight container and store in a cool place. The cracklings are tasty too, but won’t keep very long unless frozen. Try them warm, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper like croutons on a fresh garden salad, or on top of your favorite rice dish.

Same works well for moose, carribou or other wild game fat and is the prefect way to preserve it. While I don’t use the moose fat for baking, I do some know old timers who fry their donuts in it!

Thanks Ak.grandma I Apreciate You Sharing Your Know How With Us.
    Grin

Great stuff. Thanks!

Default wild berry filled sweet bread recipe...

This recipe takes a bit of time to prepare since the dough has to rise, but it is well worth it! You may never have to go to the Donut Shop or Bakery again! Grandma Lori

Kolache -Cream cheese and Wildberry filled Sweet Rolls- Recipe
    Dough
    1 pkg dry yeast
    3 tbsp. warm water
    1 tsp sugar
    ½ stick butter
    ¼ cup sugar
    2 egg yolks
    1 cup lukewarm milk
    4 cups flour (more or less)
    1 tsp. salt

melted butter

Dissolve yeast in the warm water in a tall glass, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar, stir and set aside to proof. In a large bowl, cream ¼ cup sugar and butter, add egg yolks and mix well. Add the dissolved yeast/water mixture, warm milk, 1 cup of the flour, salt and mix slowly. Continue adding as much of the remaining flour as you can mix in with a wooden spoon. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough. Continue kneading until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down and turn out onto lightly floured surface. Pinch off egg size portions and roll into a ball. Place about 1 ½ inch apart on greased pans. Brush kolaches with melted butter and let rise until light, about ½ hour.

Use your thumb to make a deep indentation in each ball and fill each opening with 1 or more tablespoons of one of the fillings below. Let rise again for 10 minutes. Bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for about 10-15 minutes. Brush kolaches with melted butter and sprinkle with a dusting of powdered sugar as they come out of the oven.

filling options:
    mix together, then add to the indentation before baking...

Cream Cheese fillling
    1/3 cup of soft cream cheese
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    After cooking Cheese filled Kolaches, top with a few fresh blueberries or a dabble of wild berry jam.

Fresh or Thawed Frozen Berries:
    Stir gently 1 ½ cup berries with 3 TBSP each Flour and Sugar.
    Add cimmamon if desired, fill indents. Bake as directed.

Wildberry jam filling
    Add a few spoonfuls of your favorite homemade (or store bought) Jam to your indentations. Bake as directed.
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley