Thread: Travis' Ram...

Default Travis' Ram...

i had the pleasure of taking seven days this august for sheep hunting. i was gonna go solo, as my dad couldnt make it this season, but a few weeks before the opener as i was getting done guiding a fishing/rafting trip a good buddy of mine got a message to my boss that he wanted to come sheep hunting. he's a good buddy, but i generally dont hunt with too many people besides my dad and a certain friend of mine. i kinda like my time off work to myself or close friends. the clincher was that i had spent a bit of time with travis in a hunting camp before as he was working through his first year guiding. he's a good hunter, and very tough (two things i require in a hunting buddy) guiding didnt turn out to be his thing, and he struggled with late onset diabetes. it was extremely hard for his to keep his blood sugar regualted with the rigors of guiding, and the unreliable weather. we've stayed in touch since then, and i figured i'd have a great time hunting with travis....i accepted.

we only had seven days to get it done as i had a busy guiding schedule lined up directly after (starting tommorow) and got into the field on the 8th of august.

it was brand new country for me and i wanted to wast no time in getting on top and setting up camp. i've been taught to hunt sheep from above, and am admittedly not very versed in hunting them from below. we scouted for a day and while not seeing any legalish rams on our side of the drainage i did find a group of five a few miles away with two rams looking to be in the full kurl range with "number five" showing potential for being a bruiser. big red horns with tons of mass that seemed to climb forever off his head before starting their curl.

the day of the opener found us descending with ambitions of climbing a mountain adjacent to the rams. i just didnt think i could climb the mnt they were located on without being busted. i figure a sheeps eyes to be my worst enemy and plan stalks with a simple thing in mind: just dont get seen.

the root i took was incredibly steep, but it knocked off a couple miles brush busting and we both figured climbing was more fun
    the descent, brush busting, and climb took right under ten hours. as the midnight sun set over the ak range we where camped a couple miles from the rams at around 5400 feet and watched them feed till dark while settled in above them. there was indeed a full curl ram amongst them, i guess him to be right at 37 inches and much stronger on his left side, though legal on both. travis agreed, and we kept with the rule i'd suggested at the beginning of the hunt: neither of us would load a round and actively prepare to shoot a ram unless both us where 100% confident of full curl or double broken legality...number five was nowhere to be found.

to cut my end of the hunt a tad short, i won the coin toss for first shot...anbd i missed that full curl ram the very next morning after bedding him and making a perfect stalk. i missed three times! i was admittedly disgusted with myself, but soon got over it and bathed in the beautiful weather and rush that came with the stalk. i was pumped to be sheep hunting! misses happen. i'm no different. to my shooting credit, my gun was off when checked at travis' suggestion at the end of the hunt it had indeed been knocked off zero. did i do it before i missed? who knows. i dont care though. it was a dandy hunt, and i learned alot about unpressured sheep: theyre not the smartest critter out there walking.

travis was up next. and he was pumped. a miss is fairly a blown attempt...the baton is passed. we left that drainage alone, and had hopes the ram would settle down after a day or so. that day we put a few miles on up high and found a smoker of a sheep bedded three miles away from our evening vantage, and a days hunt away if we got after it around four am the next morning...we made plans and our hopes where high as we went to bed. for some reason i couldnt sleep despite the midnite hour and took one peek at the first rams drainage just as the light faded....he was there! i couldnt beleive it. i roused travis and told him the good news and we planned the hunt.

the ram was feeding down the same hill around five the next morning and we made a quick descent and climbed his hill to gain evlevation on him before the thermals screwed us. i proudly was encouraged to lead the stalk and did a fine job if i do say so myself. when we were posistion above the last place i'd lost him during our climb we watched for him while perched on the spine of his mnt at around 5700ft. we were both still looking for him while keeping a watch on his two buddies he'd been feeding with...a scycle horn and a seven eighths kurl ram.

the sly ram nearly snuck by us. i caught just a glimpse of him sneaking amongst the rocks a mere sixty yrds below us on the side we didnt expect him to be on. he'd climbed over as we were ascending. travis promtly shot him after we both confirmed him to be the same ram. his tumble was uneventful from where we sat and the elation swept over us at travis's accomplishment. he dreamed his whole life for a dall ram and only intended to take one in his life. he'd hunted before unsuccessfully and it was a joyous moment indeed to watch travis and see how much this meant to him.

the recovery is a whole different story in itself, and involved one of the few times i've been scared on a mnt...it was a very hard, and technichal retrieval. trav's ram broke his horn completely off in the falls it took after rolling out of sight. we got him though, and the latest word from knights taxi is that it'll be no problem to reproduce a match for his ram. no killshot pics were taken it respect for that beautiful sheep and the beating he took. all meat was salvageable and i'm happy to report that my half is just dandy! cleaning and good field prep made the difference as always.

it was neat hunt!

a few pics...trav during the first couple days scouting and hunting
    Attached Images Attached Images

DSC01138.jpgDSC01135.jpgcouple more pics of me and the country

DSC01223.jpgDSC01222.jpgheres a couple of the ram...i brought him down whole as travis carried our gear from the very top center of the mnt behing me...

DSC01218.jpgone of travis with his ram and meat...

Good hunt, congratulations to you both.

Pretty awesome Zack... Great ram... Nice country....

oh yeah...he went 36.5 on the horn we have.

and we never saw "number five" again...i'll be looking closely for him next year, and the great old heavy red horned ram is still out there as well. we saw plenty of sheep, a good number of other rams, and didnt see a soul during our hunt, with very few airplanes flying.

Very Cool.

I watched Sheep yesterday, from the river bank, they were onthe moutain above us, the only white animals on the mountain side.........might just go get one, if I dont find Caribou soon
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Congrats! Must have been a heck of a fall.

Great hunt Zack! Thanks for posting.

Fred

Great hunt and rifle things pop up for the best of hunters. How great would it be to have sheep in the Chilkats.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Brings back memories..... After a great shot, I had a hunter's ram take a real bad fall and knock the horn of as well. I told my hunter to stay put as I eased my way down the mountain not knowing if it was doable or not. But as luck would have it I made my way down to the ram as he hung up right at a edge of a snow slide. As I got down to the ram I saw that the horn was gone. I was so bummed standing there wondering how I was gonna tell this guy. As I sat there looking at the ram I casually looked up the ravine and something caught my eye.....not 20' above the ram lay his horn. In my excitement on finding the ram I had walked right past it. When my hunter arrived I told him "I have good news and bad".....I said "the bad news is that the horn got knocked off"......I saw his eyes drop and the wind taken from him. "But" I said, with the ram's horn held behind my back "The good news IS THAT I FOUND IT...!!!" waving the horn in his face!!! He was elated.......

Good ram and glad it can be "fixed" up....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You had no iron sights to back up the scope?

But , then again, if you didnt know till you shot, irons would not have made a difference untill you were shooting again and had "confirmed' your scope was done in.......still sucks that shot didnt go where aimed. I'm sure there wiil be a Next time....

Ive seen more than a few scopes knocked out of wack........but then again, the Williams folding sight break as fast as you replace them on Ruger 10/22's, and a few months back my Sako's rear sight leaf was chunked out.......seen plenty of 'missing' rear sight fellas idnt know about till they were shouldering for a shot.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    You had no iron sights to back up the scope?

But , then again, if you didnt know till you shot, irons would not have made a difference untill you were shooting again and had "confirmed' your scope was done in.......still sucks that shot didnt go where aimed. I'm sure there wiil be a Next time....

Ive seen more than a few scopes knocked out of wack........but then again, the Williams folding sight break as fast as you replace them on Ruger 10/22's, and a few months back my Sako's rear sight leaf was chunked out.......seen plenty of 'missing' rear sight fellas idnt know about till they were shouldering for a shot.
    nope chip...not on my mountain gun. lol, looks like it might be a good idea though eh? still would miffed that one though unless i was sporting quick release mounts...this is the very reason 99 percent of my guiding is done with fixed iron sights. **** happens when it comes to beating a rifle up like the alaska range can....next year maybe i'll watch closer to how my guns attached through the brush and up the hill.

Default Travis' Ram...

Sweet looking ram glad a replica can be made without too much problem.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Very Cool.

I watched Sheep yesterday, from the river bank, they were onthe moutain above us, the only white animals on the mountain side.........might just go get one, if I dont find Caribou soon

let us know if ya go chase some sheep chip!

Now that sounds like one heck of a great hunt Zack! Way to stock with it and I am glad to hear you all are able to get a horn replica made for Travis's ram. How in the heck did you haul out a complete ram? Or did you quarter it out and haul it that way all at once?