Thread: RCBS case trimmer sticking

Default RCBS case trimmer sticking

I am having trouble with the pilots on my RCBS case trimmer. I am getting all my brass into good shape again and when I tried to trim my 35 whelen brass, the pilot sticks in the neck of the resized shell. It didn't do that last time. My 375 Ruger brass has always done that. I was going to take an emery cloth and just take some of the pilot off. I thought it was because the Hornady brass was much thicker. My whelen brass is Remington, normal stuff. My 300 RUM Nosler brass does fine.

so, what happened?

Default neck thickness

Any serious reloader needs to have a neck to measure neck thickness. They are a bit specialized and are used to measure tubing wall thickness in industry.

An outside neck turning tool can also be of help sometimes in reducing or truing up necks, esp after necking down cases. I've been surprised at times to find out just how uneven case necks can be.

I'd just turn the pilot down a bit. Even if it is slightly too small the maximum resulting unevenness is going to be very small. You can also try a bit of a water based case lube in the neck - just don't use the oily stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I am having trouble with the pilots on my RCBS case trimmer. I am getting all my brass into good shape again and when I tried to trim my 35 whelen brass, the pilot sticks in the neck of the resized shell. It didn't do that last time. My 375 Ruger brass has always done that. I was going to take an emery cloth and just take some of the pilot off. I thought it was because the Hornady brass was much thicker. My whelen brass is Remington, normal stuff. My 300 RUM Nosler brass does fine.

so, what happened?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post

so, what happened?
    That all sounds pretty normal..There is always some thickening of the case neck after firing, particularly with heavier load. Brass flows from the body to the neck. You can use your trimmer as a neck reamer. Ream the necks before sizing DO NOT outside Turn necks of standard calibers.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the info, most helpful. Now I have to figure what to do about it. I think I will try to take a little off my pilots. They do work as a reamer, but not well. It is hard to turn and it is not even. The pilots get stuck and pull out of the trimmer most times. So, are there other options? How easy is it to turn the INSIDE of the neck? Yet another piece of necessary gear.