Thread: 416 Remington 400 grain Nosler partitions or 400 grain Barnes Tsx

Default 416 Remington 400 grain Nosler partitions or 400 grain Barnes Tsx

Here are my thoughts I am going to use my 416 for everything this year. I shot a black bear with a hard bullet from my 375 and he went a long ways not a bad shot but the bullet went through him so fast it didn't open up. I switched to noslers partitions and they open up and no problems.

My thoughts are on black bear and caribou will the Tsx open up or zip right on through I want to try them but was wondering peoples thoughts.

I know the gun is overkill but i like it so if i wanted to use other calibers i could but just asking about these two bullets.

So any experience with these two bullets would be appreciated

I have a 416 Rem as well but have not yet shot any game with it. I have loaded both Speer "hot core" 350 gr and Barnes TSX 350 gr. using from 77-82 gr of RL-15 depending how fast you want it go go....and how much recoil you want. I would hunt anything with the Barnes 350 TSX at around 2500-2600 fps. My 416 weighs 9 1/2 lbs and has the mercury recoil reducer system... It does work! It is an awesome weapon. You are never under-gunned.

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

seems like you could just pick the one that shoots the best. They both should do about the same thing. Sometimes the Barnes stuff just don't shoot well.

What hard bullet where you using in the 375? Cast, FMJ?

speer grand slam 270 grain

Those are cup and core bullets, no? Didn't think they were the pencil through kind of bullets. More like grenades.

I was looking on the Nosler web sight for something else and looked at the 416 bullets. They are supposed to shoot faster than the tsx. Might not make a hoot of difference it terminal performance, but might change the point blank range.

I have a rigby and it likes the 400gr tsx. Didn't try the partitions figured why it shoots these tsx's

The grand slam is a bonded bullet the partition im thinking would have an explosive effect and if i lose 25% i still have 300 grains working anyone shot gamw with their 416

The grand slam is a very tough bullet but it isn't bonded. They do take some velocity to expand. The round didn't go through too fast to open up, it went through too slow. Impact velocity is what initiates expansion. The GS is a hardened lead core and a thick jacket, tough enough but they must be driven to 2600 fps or so.

The Partition is a better choice but I'm not sure they're available in the 350 grain. The Swift A-frame is my favorite 350 grain for the 416. I load it to about 2600 fps with about 82.0 grains of H4895 in any of the 416 cartridges. I've taken lots of heavy beast with that load and never feel under gunned.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've no experience with a 416 Rem. only the 416 Taylor (about the same power as a 416 Rigby). I load the Hornady 400 grn interlocks to 2300 fps and have had no failures to date. However I've not yet found a grizzly to put a harvest tag on ,YET ! It does give you piece of mind in the dark timber though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I've no experience with a 416 Rem. only the 416 Taylor (about the same power as a 416 Rigby). I load the Hornady 400 grn interlocks to 2300 fps and have had no failures to date. However I've not yet found a grizzly to put a harvest tag on ,YET ! It does give you piece of mind in the dark timber though.
    Shoot whatever I'm gettign 3 bazzillion feet per second with my Rigby so your Taylor is not even close!

I killed a bison a couple years ago with my 416 Rem Mag using 350 Speer Mag-Tip at 2600 fps. I hit the base of the neck/spine junction at less than 50 yards, dropping the buff like hit by lightning. The remains of the slug could be heard wizzing into the woods a hundred yards behind the buff. I'm sure the A-Frame is tougher, but the Speer is OK, and would be even better at a couple hundred fps less velocity.

I use the barnes in my 416 wby and never had anything but praise for em.. the only bullet I ever recovered was from a wounded bison that tried to run me over and the bullet went one end to the other.. Also shot a 9'6 brown in the mouth at pretty close range and he dropped... Never much cared for noslers...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Shoot whatever I'm gettign 3 bazzillion feet per second with my Rigby so your Taylor is not even close!
    I either want to buy your chrony or your 416 Rigby, as most Rigbys can't approach 3 bazillion feet per second !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I don't load the Taylor quite that heavy. Mine is a 23" barrel and I get 2200 with the 400 grain partition. I mostly load the 350 Swift at 2400 fps. I like the Taylor, it was a very good idea but can't quite reach 400gr. @ 2400 fps and the 5000# of energy at the muzzle. The 350 grain at 2400 is a helluva griz gun. Original Rigby performance was with a 410 grain @ 2370 fps for 5000# ME.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Im getting excited to take the rifle and get on an animal i shot it today at the range. It just feels right. Im thinking on a moose or black bear it will be superb with the noslers and if the keep unit 7/15 open for grizz in october i might getto try it and see how it performs:-)