Thread: Valley fishing this week??

Default Valley fishing this week??

I would really like to get out one morning this week and catch a fish. This summer has been dismal. I missed the King season due to boat problems, silver fishing on the Deshka only produced pinks for me, and starting next week I will switch over to hunt mode. What would you consider the best place to catch a nice fish this week. I do have a boat. Considering Knik with target of reds, I believe that is legal, just not silvers. Maybe a lake for a nice trout or 2, could run up to Deshka landing and fish out of there for pinks I surpose. Any other suggestions not too far away. Bud
    Wasilla

I caught some big chums at Willow last weekend. One was very bright and I almost thought it was a silver. Chums are fun on a fly rod. Didn't keep any but I had a blast. Caught a couple of pinks also. I think it's legal to fish there now as long as you are not trying to catch silvers, but you may want to check with ADFG first...

Go to the Little Su. Nice trails to walk and tons of brush holes to pull Silvers out of. You can go to boat ramp and take off upstream for best results right now. Tons of holes.

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    Go to the Little Su. Nice trails to walk and tons of brush holes to pull Silvers out of. You can go to boat ramp and take off upstream for best results right now. Tons of holes.
    Little Su is closed for silvers...

Little Susitna River Closed to Coho Salmon Fishing Effective Friday, August 10, 2012
    Issue Date: AUGUST 8, 2012
    PALMER, Alaska -- Beginning at 12:01 a.m. Friday, August 10, sport fishing for coho ("silver") salmon is prohibited in the Little Susitna River. The use of bait continues to be prohibited. Gear used for other species is restricted to unbaited, artificial lures, meaning treble hooks or two hooks may be used. The area affected by this emergency order includes all waters of the Little Susitna River from its confluence with Cook Inlet upstream to the Parks Highway.
    The Little Susitna River coho salmon sustainable escapement goal (SEG) is 10,100-17,700 fish. In 2009-2011, the SEG was not achieved. The sport fish exit survey conducted at the Little Susitna Public Use Facility indicates mostly below-average catch rates and is supported by guide and angler reports of below average fishing success under good fishing conditions. By August 8, about 40 percent of the run has historically passed upstream of the weir, which is located at river mile 32.5, with at least 60 percent of harvest complete by this date in the lower river where the vast majority of harvest takes place. The weir count through August 7 was 515. Run timing can be highly variable for coho salmon; however, at this time, even based on a record late run timing model, the SEG is projected to not be met. Therefore, it is prudent to close the sport fishery in order to reduce the total harvest by approximately 50 percent and provide the greatest potential for achieving the escapement goal.
    The department will continue to monitor weir counts. Restrictions to the sport fishery may be lifted if weir counts improve and the SEG is ensured through projections of escapement. For more information, contact Sam Ivey at (907) 746-6300.

can any one tell me if the water is still coming up or has it reached the crest yet?

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    can any one tell me if the water is still coming up or has it reached the crest yet?
    looks like they are starting to fall

Rivers up there are all dropping steady, but the weather forecast through the weekend ain't good.

that's good to hear, I heard they were at or close to flood stage. I am waiting for the water to drop some so I can get back out there.

Pretty tough wading in the high/fast water to reach the slots last night. Managed one nice bow though.photo.jpg

What a fat*****!