Thread: Selling timber for profit

Default Selling timber for profit

Hello, this is my first post on the "forum". I amactive duty military and have been an Alaskan resident since 2004. I recentlybought an agricultural parcel and plan to build a home on it when I retire inabout 20 months. I have been told that there are companies that will pay you toharvest timber. I have a 40 acre minimum that I have to clear as part of theagricultural requirements. Does anyone know of a company near Anderson thatdoes this? I need to have 50 acres cleared, so I can comply with the plan I havewith the state.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does it have road access? What sort of trees are on the site, birch, spruce or mixed? What is their size and form? I'm a forester by education and career. What is the ground like? Lot's of people get into trouble trying to do this on their own, and can really get taken. I'd try a forestry consultant to handle any sort of sales.

Thanks for the reply. The property does have road access and has a mix of spruce and birch, but is mostly spruce. I'd say the average size is about 6, maybe 8 inches in diameter. The ground is mostly flat and is made up of Donnelly Lupine complex. I have read about making sure to get a forestry consultant in some of the research I have done on-line and will consult one before I do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonbrink View Post
    Hello, this is my first post on the "forum". I amactive duty military and have been an Alaskan resident since 2004. I recentlybought an agricultural parcel and plan to build a home on it when I retire inabout 20 months. I have been told that there are companies that will pay you toharvest timber. I have a 40 acre minimum that I have to clear as part of theagricultural requirements. Does anyone know of a company near Anderson thatdoes this? I need to have 50 acres cleared, so I can comply with the plan I havewith the state.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Contact the Area Forester at the local DOF office (Fairbanks Area Forestry for Anderson). She/he can answer most all your questions and will be familiar with the private timber or land clearing contractors located in the area.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I will, thanks for the advice.

I know a little bit about harvesting and selling timber, but then there is the cost of 'clearing' the land to prepare it for planting. Will the contractor clear the land if you 'give' him the trees? If not, will the money received from the trees cover the cost of clearing the stumps and grading the 'fields' after the harvest?

Hi Yukonbrink,

Nice project. There is an excellent market for firewood. Seasoned firewood you market is worth more to you and those who burn it. If evenly stocked with 6 to 8" spruce/birch you could have 200 to 400 cords of wood, depending upon stocking density (10 cords/acre x 40 acres = 400 cords). There is a market for spruce wood pellets but the distance between North Pole and Anderson could reduce what the logger would pay you. Still this would be an excellent way to get the project done an over with. I've seen seasoned birch go for $325/cord split and delivered last winter. I am not to sure how much mostly spruce firewood would sell retail for now this year.

Ideally you'd want your flat land machine logged (feller buncher), skidded to a landing for loading using a grapple skidder, and hauled away with a long-log truck. I suggest you use a timber sale contract. I can help you with that free of charge. PM me if you would my assistance. I am in Fairbanks.

Sell your wood by the long log truck load, per load, cash, or a similar arrangement where you get prompt payment for reasonable amounts of wood. In the contract you should require a cash up front down payment and you should have a time line (18 months?) w/in your contract so you don't get stood up while the operator goes and does something else. Get the contract signed by you and the logger/operator, witnessed and notorized and a copy to you and the operator/logger. If the logger for what ever reason cannot do your project in a timely fashion or goes over contract, close it and sell it to someone else who will do the work. It is your land. You are in business (or want to be).

Check Craigs List for current firewood prices in various forms, split, round, log, seasoned, whatever. You might be able to hire the logging & skidding and market the wood yourself. Maybe someone in the Anderson unit has a skidder... I suggest not hiring a pick up truck logger with a chainsaw to do 40 or 50 acres. It will take too long if done this way.

Around here, if you want land cleared, it's pretty much a wash. The logging outfits will clear the land at no charge to you in exchange for the wood. Don't excpect to make much, if anything, off your timber unless you have huge spruce on it for house logs.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Yep, thats a true story. You can thank your stars you don't live there. I sure do....

Thanks for the info AK Woodsman,
    I'm still about 18 months out and just getting an idea of what to expect for the moment. If I can get back up there in 2013 I'll get a hold of you for sure.

AK Woodsman,
    Hello, I am now living in North Pole and would still be interested in your help clearing my property. I can be reached at yukonbrink@hotmail or 488-0503.
    Thanks Richard