Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My sheep hunt with BRWNBR !!

Default My sheep hunt with BRWNBR !!

My long awaited sheep hunt finally started Aug 11 with me and Jake, aka BRWMBR, flying into the Talkeetna mountains. We each had a backpack and the essentials for a 10 day hunt. Landed on a lake and started glassing sheep right away. Of course we have to wait until tomorrow to hunt but it was nice to see sheep so soon. None are big enough so we hike for a while and set up camp for the night. Tomorrow we can hunt!!! Fast forward to Thursday the 16th. Jake wakes me up and he is on his spotter looking at another sheep, about 2 miles from camp. He says it is a broomed sheep he saw last year on another hunt. So off we go after a quick breakfast. We get close to where the sheep were feeding and see 3 sheep bedded below us. I hope he is in that group but of course they are all small ones. We can't see the other 4 that Jake saw from camp. We continue on a bit and drop our packs. We must be close. A couple more ravines and we come to snow in a ravine with fresh tracks. Jake checks it and we figure it is the 4 we are looking for. More sidehilling and trying to maintain our elevation. We are pretty close to the top but now the top is fogged in. We are scanning in front of us, or I am trying to but I am mostly looking down where I am walking. The rocks and loose stones are getting slippery and am trying to be as quiet as possible. Jake says "SHEEP" and I look at him and he is laying down. I get down and look uphill. Through the fog I see some sheep directly above us, quite a ways away. I try to get a range on them with my rangefinder but through the fog or my shaking I can't. I do get a reading closer on some rocks at 370 yds. The fog closes in more and we can't see them again. I want to get closer but Jake says stay put and get ready to shoot. We figure they are 80 to 100 yards farther. The fog seems to be getting worse and we are waiting for another sighting if they are even still there. I move a few stones around and actually get a pretty solid front rest for my rifle. It is raining now and spitting snow and a slight breeze from left to right. I am soaked from sweating and my rain gear is back in my backpack. The fog looks worse and I am wondering if we are going to get a chance. It seems like an hour but probably 15 minutes I see a break in the fog. Jake gets on the spotter and I can't believe it but the sheep are still standing there. Maybe they don't like to move in the fog either. I am ready and Jake tells me it is the lead sheep on the left. They are all facing to our left. We already had discussed the angle and drop and the wind at 400 yards. So I take aim and tell Jake I am ready. BOOM.... I quickly rack another shell in and Jake whoops and hollers "HE IS DOWN". I can't believe my ears, thinking he is going to tell me where I missed and keep shooting... I look up and see a white spot on the rocks. Jake is slapping me on the back and high fiving me. I am still in shock. I put my gun down. I am so excited I have to be careful I don't slide downhill. I keep looking up and the fog fills back in so we can't see him. It is unreal. I want to get my hands on this beauty. We head to him. Part way up we can see him and I try to get a range on him. I can't and give Jake the rangefinder. I am still too nervous and shaking. Jake gets 120 to the sheep and 350 back to our spot. I can't believe that either but Jake double checks and it is the same. We get to the sheep. I put my hands on his broomed horns and he is beautiful. Very different set of horns and I am literally on cloud nine, in the fog and all.

Of course the work starts now but Jake is an old hand at this. Long story short we(Jake) cuts, carves, skins and we pack him off the mountain and back to camp. I carry my share but am sure he has more than me and still has to wait for me to catch up, as he does patiently. I believe all my pre training has helped but probably should have done more. 145.jpg141.jpg

A couple more pictures. Jake is a great guy to hunt with and honest as the day is long. I would certainly not hesitate to hunt with him again.

Very cool ram. Congratulations. What did F&G age him at?

Great write-up and an awesome looking sheep. Congrats!

Good shooting, congrats on your ram!

Cool Ram, love that right side!!! Congrats to you both.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

What an amazing ram, a lot of character there!l I'd guess about 10 years old.

Thanks for sharing.

That is a great story and a cool looking ram! Good job keeping up with Jake and making that shot!

Nice hunt report, very unique and beautiful sheep. Congratulations.

Great RAM and a memory that'll last a lifetime ! Congrats !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default My sheep hunt with BRWNBR !!

What were you shooting? That's a heck of a shot especially with the pressure of the weather Nice ram and great writeup!

Marvelous story. You lucky Dog! Great character in that ram.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Wow......broomed to say the least...!!! Congrats...!!!

What caliber were you shooting?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Congrats on a great ram!!!
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

congrats...love those ole boys with the character....**** nice indeed and great job..

Guys, thanks for all the comments. I haven't had him sealed yet as the office was closed when we got out but hope they can estimate the age of this guy. Stid, both sides are almost identical. Not sure how these formed this way but pretty cool. I used a stock Remington XCR II in 300 Win Mag. Handloaded 180gr Nosler Partitions. I had practiced to 400 yards where it dropped 12" and had it zeroed at 300. With the angle Jake and I decided it would be like shooting 400 so I held about a foot high and a few inches into the breeze. Caught him in low in front of left shoulder exited high behind right shoulder. I don't claim to be that good of a shot and will take all the luck I can get. Jake is a good coach, and has almost as much "character" as the sheep. HA

Well done Jake, very well done.

I was blessed with the opportunity to watch some Rams for several days this season and was amazed at how much they dig with their horns. I watched them hook their horns into the ground and dig for long periods of time. I'm surprised, all rams aren't broken off. I would think that he is an old ram and has been broken off for a long time and has continued to dig with his horns and has worn them back into having a tip were the core is more dense.

Cool old Ram for sure,, awesome trophy!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I'd like to be in that F&G room when they try and decide how old this guy is......

Not you marko......the sheep...!!!......lol

Again.......congrats on a real beauty...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Now THAT is a broomer! Awesome.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast