Thread: Tikka T3 Stainless 30.06 questions (stock/action/coating)

Default Tikka T3 Stainless 30.06 questions (stock/action/coating)

A forum member here recently bought me a Tikka T3 Stainless 30.06 to replace my worn out mossberg 4x4 30.06. He decided to pick me up a rifle that would better suit me (I am a lefty) so he found a steal of a deal on the LH Tikka. I am curious about getting a nice thumb hole stock and upgrading a few of the "problem" pieces as well as getting the action worked and maybe getting it coated just to handle the AK bush a little better.

I need some suggestions on who would be a quality and fairly resonable turnaround time to get the action smoothed out a bit more and getting it coated. Also if anyone has seen a LH stock for the T3 and has them available in the greater Los Anchorage area.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I have never owned a Tikka but handled a good number of them and think that is one of the smoothest factory actions out there, I wouldn't touch it.

If you want to get it coated just about anything will work, they are made out of some good stainless that will take a beating with minimal care and hold up great. The brush just leaves marks on them that you can wipe off. The rocks on the other hand will mar them up a good bit.

For coating look up "black ice" it is teflon and the owners name is Lee, down in the states. He does a great job and offers several color choices and likes us Alaska guys/gals.

For gun smithing in town try and find Stan Jackson's number, don't have it here with me but he does **** good work and is reasonable. Other than that I have used Wild West as well and have been very happy with their customer service and quality of work!

I've had a Tikka and several of my friends hunt consistently with them...they hold up really well to use and abuse.

As a piece of unsolicited advice, I'd leave it as it- slap a really good piece of glass on top of it and go kill critters. For all the money you'll spend on gunsmithing and such you can just by a second one for back up. No gunsmith can improve the slickness of that action!

The only piece I'd probably replace is the scope mount- DNZ makes a pretty good one piece that looks like part of the rifle.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Forgot to add the link to the thumbhole....sorry

http://www.tikkaperformance.com/Tikk...minate%20Stock

at 350 bucks you're halfway to an entire rifle!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    A forum member here recently bought me a Tikka T3 Stainless 30.06 to replace my worn out mossberg 4x4 30.06. He decided to pick me up a rifle that would better suit me (I am a lefty) so he found a steal of a deal on the LH Tikka. I am curious about getting a nice thumb hole stock and upgrading a few of the "problem" pieces as well as getting the action worked and maybe getting it coated just to handle the AK bush a little better.

I need some suggestions on who would be a quality and fairly resonable turnaround time to get the action smoothed out a bit more and getting it coated. Also if anyone has seen a LH stock for the T3 and has them available in the greater Los Anchorage area.
    Nice friend ! The 3 parts that always seem to come under fire on a Tikka are the scope rings (aftermarket vs OEM), the bolt shroud, and trigger guard,these parts were made light to keep the rifle LITE. Never heard of any other problems with a Tikka. The stocks Hodgeman found will work well but they add significant weight to your lightweight rifle. You could always use Dura-Coat and choose your colors or camo pattern of your choice.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Coating wise, you can use a matte color in Duracoat to knock down the shine and be done. I don't suggest the inside of the action since it is fit pretty tight and smooth already. I've been beating around a Tikka .243 for about 4 years now I have yet to have a problem with the plastic parts. Tikka is a fine gun and you have a FINE friend!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I had a Tikka T3 and that was one of the finest out of the box rifles on the market to be had. The action is by far the best and smoothest out there and of course the barrel is as well.

With what you are looking at spending to do I would humbly advise buy a cheaper rifle and do what you are want to do and leave the Tikka as is. You will be very happy with that rifle and I doubt the gun smiths around can do anything to that action to make it better and your pocket book lighter.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I'll ad my vote to not touching anything other than the scope mounts, DNZ and Talleys are 2 good quality lightweights that are reasonably priced - You don't even have to worry about "breaking in" that smooth hammer forged barrel ..... a GREAT rifle at any price