Thread: Moose magnet call

Default Moose magnet call

Are you guys fans of the moose magnet call? I like it but not sure if it will make my final gear list. Any idea what it weighs? I can I buy in Fairbanks at walmart?

This is for 20a last week of moose season. Are the moose hunted so hard they are call shy thus making bringing the moose magnet not worthwhile?

I like the idea of being able to scrape it on branches, any ideas for something lightweight that would also accomplish ths?

Just use your hands for the calling. For scraping a 1 qt plastic oil container with the bottom cut out of it sounds great...mount it on a stick like Virgil of "Monster Moose" fame does. I personally think it's hard to beat a dried scappula...a small one off a young moose, not the large ones off the big bulls. I would not want to carry the magnet around...too bulky.

The magnet is great and it is very lightweight but bulky like gutpile said. A bit awkward to pack around at times unless you are on or in a vehicle.

Plenty of smaller and lighter objects out there that will get the job done, or just make one while in the field out of birch bark.

It does put put a decent sound...but when rakin with it if you dont 'two hand' it it will produce more a hollow un-natural sound

Plastic oil can on a stick,,, and yes it works.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    I personally think it's hard to beat a dried scappula...a small one off a young moose, not the large ones off the big bulls.
    Has always been my favorite. But I like the large ones....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I modified mine for a shoulder strap. I salvaged the neck strap off a pair of broken bino's, drilled a couple of holes in both ends, attached the strap and voila'! I carry it cross-shoulder style and rotate it behind me when I want it out of the way, and rotate it back when I want to use it.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    Are you guys fans of the moose magnet call? I like it but not sure if it will make my final gear list. Any idea what it weighs? I can I buy in Fairbanks at walmart?

This is for 20a last week of moose season. Are the moose hunted so hard they are call shy thus making bringing the moose magnet not worthwhile?

I like the idea of being able to scrape it on branches, any ideas for something lightweight that would also accomplish ths?
    Look at it this way...........heavily rutted out bulls have been known to come into calls like.......chain saws, guys using an ax to split wood, snoring in a tent, AND to some of the worst sounding calls I have ever heard. I've called bulls in unintentionally by cracking up kindling to build a fire. If you have concerns about taking it along because of weight limits or just not enough room, then don't loose sleep over it if you don't. I've called in many a moose just cupping my hands around my mouth and bashing one log/stick/branch into a tree or brush.

Very good ideas thanks!

PS I got REALLY lucky and drew a Vermont moose tag for a great unit for Ot this year too! Canadian moose, and I have enough points to draw a few WY moose units (Shiras). I am going to hate moose after the next couple years!

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    Very good ideas thanks!

PS I got REALLY lucky and drew a Vermont moose tag for a great unit for Ot this year too! Canadian moose, and I have enough points to draw a few WY moose units (Shiras). I am going to hate moose after the next couple years!
    Believe me...........you'll never get tired of Alaska/Yukon moose...!!!......lol