Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redding Seating Die 500SW

Default Redding Seating Die 500SW

I have been using the Redding Seating Die for handloading my 500SW cartridges and so far, it was fine and dandy until I received this new box of LRFP molly-coated bullets. They were made at .502" in diameter.

I am seeing 2 issues:
    1. Every time the bullet is seated, the die cuts a ring at about 1/8" from the top. Also, the removable plug at the center of the die does not have the usual round-nose/flat-nose interchangeable sides. Any idea what type of nose they cater to?
    2. Some parts of the bullet are shaved off when it is seated and the lead shavings are pushed up and crushed to the top edge of the case.

It looks like .502" is way too large to be seated. Any magic to suggest? Thanks!

.502" is also way too large to be shot in the 500 S&W. You have had more issues with that little cartridge just recently than I've had with dozens of cartridge in oh I don't know.....ever!! The Redding die is correctly made it wont seat bullets in the 500 Nitro Express either. Make sure the seater is adjusted so it does nor engage the case into the crimp ring in the die, use only the seating stem for contact with the bullet. And once more you really need to flare the case mouth much larger than the bullet. Don't be afraid to open the case mouth up, the crimp die will close it.

And, on a side note, why do we use moly coated bullets in revolvers??
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'm shooting RCBS cast bullets (400 gr) and ready to load they are .502 I also load CPBC LBT WFNGC 440 gr and they are also .502 I load using RCBS dies with the flat nose seater. The other seater plug in the box is S.P. I think this is for JSP, never tried any in this gun.

My dies work well enough. Wish I had a Lee crimp die for the 500, but haven't gotten one yet. When I can I really like to seat and crimp in two different steps. I bell just enough so no lead is shaved while seating the bullet and then crimp (& smooth the bell out) in a seperate step without moving the bullet.

I'm no expert. This works for me. Don't know why Murphy's & my dia. are different.

My 500 sluggs at .4955". I use .500" jacketed and some hard lead at .501" but nothing larger. I use Redding dies and crimp in a fourth die. I have no problems loading the 500 S&W. It also is very accurate until the recoil gets me. I shoot the Ross model without brake on the front.
    Mike

I've been loading for my 4" .500 for some years now and don't see loading for it as any different from any othe caliber I've loaded for - and I've loaded for a lot of stuff in the last 40 years.

Most of my shooting has been with cast bullets. I've shot nearly a 1000 of the Lee mold 440 gr bullets, but earlier this year I got one of the RCBS 400 gr plain base bullets and have been mainly shooting them as I used up all my gas checks. I've also shot some 350 gr. 50-70 bullets sized down to .500 - .501 and some 565 gr NitroExpress bullets again sized down to .500 - .501. I've tried about every suitable powder and haven't found a great deal of difference. So far no leading. I've got hit a time or two with lead particles but it was barely enough to feel them on my face - I don't see the "lead spray" as an issue at all.

I use the RCBS standard die set - not carbide- and the while tube Lee case lube. I bell the cases only enongh to barely start the bullets, seat the first in the die with the crimp backed off, and then crimp them with the seating plug backed off. The Lee factory crimp die would be nice but I've had no issue with bullet creep even though the cylindrical portion of my expanding die does hit the brass. I need to polish it down some day, perhaps this winter.

Other item on the list is to ream the cylinder throats out to .500 - just haven't got around to it. Gun seems accurate enough for a 4" heavy revolver, I'd be more concerned if I had a longer barrel but mine is for cloase range bear defense. I'll pick up a Ross or a longer barreled gun when the opportunity presents itself as it did with my current gun.

I did experience the cylinder unlock problem a number of times with the 565 gr. bullets and I replaced the latch spring. It happened again this weekend with some heavy loads and the 400 gr bullets but I had already shot about my limit and was probably holding the gun a bit loose gripped. I've got to look more into the unlatching/unlocking cylinder issue.

I've let a number of people shoot mine at the range and probably resulted in some people buying them. Unfortunatly most people will never shoot them enough to be comfortable with them; that is a real shame - they are a hoot to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by MCJonas View Post
    My 500 sluggs at .4955". I use .500" jacketed and some hard lead at .501" but nothing larger. I use Redding dies and crimp in a fourth die. I have no problems loading the 500 S&W. It also is very accurate until the recoil gets me. I shoot the Ross model without brake on the front.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I think I will dump the whole box of .502" into the casting pot. It's a waste of time, energy and powder trying to make these work.

And, yes, I have received my RCBS 500SW mold and have casted some. Will be doing more casting.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    [...]
    earlier this year I got one of the RCBS 400 gr plain base bullets and have been mainly shooting them as I used up all my gas checks. I've also shot some 350 gr. 50-70 bullets sized down to .500 - .501
    [...]
    What did you use to lube your cast bullets?

Just finished handloading 100: 1/2 using Montana Bullet Werks (LBT casted) 440gr and the other half using LeadHeads 440gr. All were originally sized to .501". Everything was smooth sailing.

Wonder why a bullet manufacturer would make .502" bullets for 500SW cartridge?

Why not just run them back thru the lube- sizer? A lot less work than starting from scratch and you'd have to lube-size the new bullets anyway.

I originally bought the simple Lee push thru sizer in .500 before I got the proper sizing die for my RCBS and Lyman sizers. It comes in handy for swaging down .510 - .512 rifle bullets and would make quick work of sizing the .502 bullets down.

Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    I think I will dump the whole box of .502" into the casting pot. It's a waste of time, energy and powder trying to make these work.

And, yes, I have received my RCBS 500SW mold and have casted some. Will be doing more casting.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I still use the old classic NRA Alox/Beewax lube. Kinda messy but soot cleans up a lot easier than leading. IMO the harder lubes just don't do a good job of coating the bore and preventing leading.

I find it also makes the cases a bit sticky in unloading with max loads. The cases seem to stick but with steady pressure on the ejector rod they slowly slide out - unlike true stuck cases from overloads where you have to use considerable force to remove the cases.

What did you use to lube your cast bullets?

Why not just run them back thru the lube- sizer? A lot less work than starting from scratch and you'd have to lube-size the new bullets anyway.

I originally bought the simple Lee push thru sizer in .500 before I got the proper sizing die for my RCBS and Lyman sizers. It comes in handy for swaging down .510 - .512 rifle bullets and would make quick work of sizing the .502 bullets down.
    So far, I was lucky with my casting because they came out consistently well sized so I did not have the need for lubrisizer yet. And, I was using Alox and car-wax. Yes, the solid car-wax worked pretty well for me.

I guess I should spend some dough getting a proper lubrisizer if casting is my main route for the 500SW, 44mag and 357mag reloading.

Default inexpensive sizer

Try one of the inexpensive Lee push thru sizers for your regular press - if recall they are about $10 -$12 with a bottle of Liquid ALox that seems to work pretty well by itself. I still use mine off and on for resizing rifle bullets down to .500.

A cheaper route than car wax is the wax rings for toilets. I also wonder if the car wax may have some very fine polishing compound it it.

So far, I was lucky with my casting because they came out consistently well sized so I did not have the need for lubrisizer yet. And, I was using Alox and car-wax. Yes, the solid car-wax worked pretty well for me.

I guess I should spend some dough getting a proper lubrisizer if casting is my main route for the 500SW, 44mag and 357mag reloading.

Try one of the inexpensive Lee push thru sizers for your regular press - if recall they are about $10 -$12 with a bottle of Liquid ALox that seems to work pretty well by itself. I still use mine off and on for resizing rifle bullets down to .500.
    Yes, I have the Lee's push-thru sizer but the bullet punch that came with it cannot fit into my Dillon 550B.
    So, if I want to use it, I'd be forced to get an el cheapo Lee's single-stage press. No sure if this $43 press will be durable enough for sizing work.

On the other hand, I'm open to a SAECO 'cos I cannot afford a Star. Anyone have experience with this beast?

Default Saeco

In recommending the Lee push-thru sizer I assumed you had a standard press esp. since you were loading for the .500.

I don't know about the Lee single stage press but I've several presses I've picked up at gun shows for $10 - $20 - well worth having around even though I normally use my old RCBS A2.

I've got an old Lyman 45, the first model RCBS, and a Saeco lube sizer. The Saeco is a precision piece of machinery but it doesn't have the leverage for the .500. As I recall you can't even buy dies for the .500 for it. The Saeco works great for smaller calibers however but is a bit harder to use with the front opening. Die sets are expensive and a bit of work to change. For precision shooting it has got to be the top choice.

The Lyman works OK but again lacks the leverage for the large calibers. You can pick them up used cheap sometimes. The Lyman is the easiest to change dies in and uses the cheapest die sets. I've lubed many .357 and .30 bullets with it over the years. I keep it set up for swapping between calibers.

For all round big stuff my old RCBS - similar to the Lyman 450 - works great. It uses the same dies as the Lyman and has lots of leverage. The whole front is open so it is easy to get the bullets in and out. I got it used for $20 or so and like it far more than I though I would. If I could only have 1 of the 3 - I guess I'd have to go with the RCBS.

Yes, I have the Lee's push-thru sizer but the bullet punch that came with it cannot fit into my Dillon 550B.
    So, if I want to use it, I'd be forced to get an el cheapo Lee's single-stage press. No sure if this $43 press will be durable enough for sizing work.

On the other hand, I'm open to a SAECO 'cos I cannot afford a Star. Anyone have experience with this beast?

Thanks, so much, for your help in helping me to narrow down.

Yes a SAECO is the lube sizer I use. It is a great tool. I like the gas check seating better than the Lyman/RCBS. I've used one for more than three decades and have lots of sizing dies including many custom sized dies. It takes the same lube sticks as the others. The Star is supposed to be the cats meow but you really need a custom business to justify the expense. Redding bought our the SAECO line of equipment many years ago and they market it now. It's good stuff.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Yes a SAECO is the lube sizer I use. It is a great tool. I like the gas check seating better than the Lyman/RCBS. I've used one for more than three decades and have lots of sizing dies including many custom sized dies. It takes the same lube sticks as the others. The Star is supposed to be the cats meow but you really need a custom business to justify the expense. Redding bought our the SAECO line of equipment many years ago and they market it now. It's good stuff.
    Does SAECO support the sizing of the 500SW?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    And, on a side note, why do we use moly coated bullets in revolvers??
    I was just trying out a new bullet manufacturer for their 45ACP and 9mm; so, I thot I try a box of 500SW.
    Is molly bad for revolvers?

Last time I checked they didn't make a .500 die for the SAECO - I believe the body diameter isn't large enongh but I'll have to check.

The lack of leverage is the other big issue with the SAECO - sizing .500 bullets cast of hard lead requires some real effort I found. Sizing is a real chore with .510 rifle bullets - those I first ran through my Lee die in my regular press the thru my Lyman or RCBS sizer. The RCBS uses a compound linkage arrangement and a very large diameter ram to keep the bullet in alignment - it looks kinda funky but works very well - I wish I had gotten one much sooner.

For the .500 the RCBS or Lyman is a clear choice IMO for a lube sizer. But don't rule out the Lee push thru and liquid Alox if you get a standard press. I was real skeptical of the Lee setup but it really worked out fine.

Does SAECO support the sizing of the 500SW?

Yes, I agree that handloading the 500SW cartridge puts quite a bit of wear and tear on the whatever system one is using, including the sizing of the cast bullets. That's why I am looking for a decent lubrisizer that can withstand such abuses.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast