Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Gun for a lifetime.

Default One Gun for a lifetime.

My personal armoury of centrefire longarms has consisted of BSA Monarch, Sako, Winchester Model 70, Remington 700, CZ550, Weatherby Vanguard, Weatherby Mark V & a few others over the last 43 years. With most of these there has been several of each & with the Weatherby Mark V I have had 6 or 7. Calibers I have owned are 223, 243, 240 Weatherby, 25.06, 270 Win, 270 Weatherby, 7mm Weatherby, 308, 30.06, 308 Norma, 300 Weatherby, 340 Weatherby, 9.3x62, 375 H&H, 375 Ruger. Most of these calibers I have had several of each. I have had many different scopes. Bushnell, Weaver, Redfield, Swarovski & Zeiss & an even dozen Leupolds & others I forget.
    Today I have a Weatherby Mark V SLS 300 Wby Mag, CZ550 9.3x62, Winchester Model 70 30.06 & Winchester Model 70 Safari Express (375 Ruger) Zeiss scopes in Warne mounts on all. These are my favorites & I need no other.
    I was asked by a friend what I considered the most sensible allrounder for a lifetime one gun owner. It wasn't that diifficult to answer that I think nothing makes more sense than the new Winchester Model 70 Sporter in 30.06 for the one gun man. I'm glad I have a choice. My personal favorite of all I have owned is probably my CZ550 9.3x62. It is not the slickest or prettiest, but it feels better than any other to me. It shoulders, aims & shoots as if it was designed for me & it kills emphatically. Zeiss scopes are my choice as is Warne mounts.
    I would like to know how others feel, remembering the most sensible is not necessarily your favorite.

#1 is a Remington 700 Mtn Rifle in .280, #2 is a Tikka Lite in 243 AI, #3 is a Sako carbine in .375H&H... with Leupold scopes.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Beau375 you nailed it on the head with the MOd 70 in 30-06 or any name brand bolt action in 30-06 with good quality glass.

Carpenters don't limit themselves to one hammer. Painters don't have just one Brush. Mechanics have a bunch of different wrenches. Carvers have various knives. No one rifle does it all. We have had this discussion numerous times. But has been pointed out above, M70 Win in '06 is hard to beat. And I don't even own one anymore.

A lifetime of hunting with one gun? That's like playing 18 holes of golf with only a 5 Iron. You can do it, but it won't be as fun as it could be.

In Alaska, I'd probably take a .300WM or .300WSM in a good quality rifle and be pretty happy. I have several guns but the Nosler 48 in .300WSM gets the most field use.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Houseful of guns here too, but if I lost them all and had to start over the first buy would be an 06. I certainly wouldn't stop there if it was possible to restock a gun rack, but 06 would have the place of honor.

A few years ago I stepped down (or over) to the '06's nephew; the .270 Win. You can load it heavy or light. Possible to shoot anything from predators to moose. With a steady aim you can blow the head off a spruce chicken. The .270 is the bomb and Jack O'Connor was right.

I would go with a controlled feed 9.3x62 if I could have only one. Right now I have a Blaser R8 in that caliber and 6.5x55. I have two loads, a 286 Partition for moose and brown bear and a 250 Accubond for everything else. I considered selling the R8 and having a custom rifle made, but the R8 is just so darn accurate and easy to shoot that I can't bring myself to get rid of it.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Carpenters don't limit themselves to one hammer. Painters don't have just one Brush. Mechanics have a bunch of different wrenches. Carvers have various knives. No one rifle does it all. We have had this discussion numerous times. But has been pointed out above, M70 Win in '06 is hard to beat. And I don't even own one anymore.
    This says it all. Different tools for different applications.
    Like I have seen some many times on here before, all one needs is a 12 gauge, small bore, medium bore, and a large bore. Caliber is all perception and what keeps you confident in your ability to take and animal.

Maybe I read the opening post wrong...I thought we were asked about our favorite. I have a pre-64 Model 70 in .30-06 but it's not my favorite....a great gun but not my favorite.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    A few years ago I stepped down (or over) to the '06's nephew; the .270 Win. You can load it heavy or light. Possible to shoot anything from predators to moose. With a steady aim you can blow the head off a spruce chicken. The .270 is the bomb and Jack O'Connor was right.
    Been reading some on jack o'connor a lot folks don't know but before he died he commissioned biesen to build a 280 Remington it was on a ruger 77.

this morning marked the third outing to shoot my new Kimber 84L Montana in '06 and the more I shoot it the more I like it, "IF" I didn't have this new fetish for a lightweight rifle though, I would instead be working with a Model 70 Extreme Weather in the same '06 cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Been reading some on jack o'connor a lot folks don't know but before he died he commissioned biesen to build a 280 Remington it was on a ruger 77.
    Jack also owned a couple of 30-06's; he was much like other hunters and enjoyed different guns. I hope the day never comes that we're like many European nations and can only own one firearm, that would be VERY boring !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

It has long been rumored that Jack quietly admitted, in his opinion the 30.06 was a more versatile cartridge than his beloved .270 but he disliked the recoil

I purchased a Tikka 300 wm last fall and i love its weight and accuracy i topped it with a nikkon buck master and love the clarity of the glass, i can not how ever afford Ziess or swarovski, I just acquired a Savage lever 308 for wolf this year will see how that goes. I do like the fact that i can drop anything in North America with the 300 and do not have to explain to wife why i need another lol

30-06 pre -64 win or Mauser action.For Alaska 338-06 or 300H&H same guns
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

There's a reason the Model 70 is held in such high regard. I would differ with the majority of opinions here by specifying pre-64 Model 70. (I get goosebumps just from saying the phrase "pre-64." There they are again.)

Fed-up - although I get alot more thumbs UP than down when I say this there is still a faction "out there" that will dislike my saying that a Leupold VX3 will give you "virtually" anything a Zeiss or Swarovski will for quite a bit less money and now that they have redone their VX2 line that "step down" isn't bone jarring - There, I said it .... again (still the truth too)

I have had a dozen or more Leupolds. I like them. The difference with Zeiss is in poor light or when looking into shaded areas on a very dull day. That is were the Zeiss shows it's superiority. Even my Conquest was better than my VX3 at that time. The Victory Diavari is way superior to either.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    Fed-up - although I get alot more thumbs UP than down when I say this there is still a faction "out there" that will dislike my saying that a Leupold VX3 will give you "virtually" anything a Zeiss or Swarovski will for quite a bit less money and now that they have redone their VX2 line that "step down" isn't bone jarring - There, I said it .... again (still the truth too)
    I hate to agree with you...but I do. I've used the lowly Leupold fixed 4x and 6x to kill a bunch of stuff. I've also got an entry level Zeiss Conquest and believe it is a great scope. Over on the Continent, big game hunting is often conducted in full dark by our standards- so all the low light performance is required.

Most of what I shoot is in broad daylight.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast