Thread: Range Report on Leupold VX2 CDC 4-12x40

Default Range Report on Leupold VX2 CDC 4-12x40

Thought I would get brave and order a turret style long-range scope (really medium range).
    Got the Leupold VX2 CDC 4-12-x40 to top off my Browning A-Bolt Ti mountain rifle in 300 WSM.
    First I had to break in my new rifle. Then the deal is you zero in your rifle at 100 yards or 200 yards, depending on what you ordered, and then you just replace top adjustment knob with the custom one they send you.

For me, I dialed in at 100 yards, put on the custom knob, then cranked it to 300 yards and sent a three round group downrange. I shot a 1.25 inch group at 300 yards. I am not saying the scope was responsible for that group alone, but it helped. I just got lucky with my combo of rifle/scope/loads too.

I highly recommend the scope with CDC. I cannot wait to take some 600 yard shots at a range when I can. I got the scope new off of Ebay for $500.00 and the custom knob was free.

Good luck.

Default Range Report on Leupold VX2 CDC 4-12x40

Leopold may win some of my hard earned green backs with their CDS system. I love my Swarovski but I could shed some weight while gaining more magnification and the capability to dial in the range. Only downfall is the reduction in clarity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Leopold may win some of my hard earned green backs with their CDS system. I love my Swarovski but I could shed some weight while gaining more magnification and the capability to dial in the range. Only downfall is the reduction in clarity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    That explains the rain all of the sudden

Thanks for sharing that information. Your combination sounds perfect
    for a combination deer/hog/varmint rifle for my area.

It sure helped me with what I have been looking for in a new scope.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

? dialed in at 100 ydrs means POA=POI? And then at 300 it was still POA=POI?

Thanks for the report.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    ? dialed in at 100 ydrs means POA=POI? And then at 300 it was still POA=POI?

Thanks for the report.
    Leonard, you are correct. When you call Leupold to give them your specs on your loads, caliber, etc, they ask if you want to 100 or 200yards to be your zero point. Since I am a caveman, I told them 100 yards since I do not have faith in myself that I can adequately zero in a rifle at 200 yards without burning a whole box. Anyway, all you do is zero rifle, pop off the factory knob, install custom knob and bam. My POA is always bullseye, and the POI is always bullseye. I am very impressed with the combo. I have not taken a 600 yard shot yet to confirm it stays that way, but it seems to me if the math is correct out to 300 yards, it can' be far off out to 500 or 600. Plus the scope is lightweight. My entire rig with sling is under 7 pounds easily.

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding what you were saying.

Wow, shot in the rain and my small groups at 300 yards turned into 6 inch groups. Either rain really does have that big of an effect on bullets, or I just got lucky shooting such a small group the other day.