Thread: Goose Bay Cabin, PWS

Default Goose Bay Cabin, PWS

Anybody know why the Goose Bay Cabin is listed as "unavailable"? Looking on the reservation website it appears to be closed...

The Goose Bay cabin was damaged this past winter due to extreme snow load on the structure. We had the cabin rented in May, and had to find other arrangements because it was closed for repair. We checked out the cabin on one of our weekend outings and saw for ourselves that the cabin had shifted due to uneven release of snow from the roof. It was bad enough that the doors no longer shut. I called the Park Service and they indicated it would be fixed mid-summer, however a State engineer from Juneau needed to visit the site in order for the work to start. My guess is that hasn't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Propnut View Post
    The Goose Bay cabin was damaged this past winter due to extreme snow load on the structure. We had the cabin rented in May, and had to find other arrangements because it was closed for repair. We checked out the cabin on one of our weekend outings and saw for ourselves that the cabin had shifted due to uneven release of snow from the roof. It was bad enough that the doors no longer shut. I called the Park Service and they indicated it would be fixed mid-summer, however a State engineer from Juneau needed to visit the site in order for the work to start. My guess is that hasn't happened yet.
    Cruised by the cabin today and it does NOT look repaired. Tarps hanging and just doesn't look right. The whole building appears tweaked.

Too bad! Looks like a nice cabin from the reservation website. Thanks for the update guys.

Yes, I can confirm what akjeff said. We went ashore there last weekend and there was a sign saying to stay our due to damage. From the looks of it, they have not done anything yet other than put up signs and hang a tarp. It would be a shame for it to remain untouched and have more damage this winter.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded