Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brads plug cut is #1

Default Brads plug cut is #1

This year in Seward, while trolling, I would say 80% of the silvers I caught were on brads plug cut lures. I didn't fish them exclusively either, I mixed and matched tackle, very rarely fishing more than 1 brads at a time. I caught some on herring, spoons, and hootchies too, but most of the time it was when I didn't have a brads in the water. As for mooching, herring outfished the brads by a pretty large margin.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

SSHHHHH!!! Dont let the "brads" out of the bag!!

I have had pretty good success over the last 2 years towing them around as well. But one thing is certain, if there's a humpy within 3 miles ihe'll bite it!!

soooo... any color better than the rest? Never used them,but ALWAYS on the lookout for new gear if it's fishing related...
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

The silver/chartruse or the silver/black stacks them in the box pretty good but be sure to replace the trebble that comes with them.....better hook/land ratio with a 5/0 siwash on a barrel swivel. A little smelly jelly on the scent pad and hold on!

Dangit! I,ve told too much!

I have done the best with the silver/black ones, but today I did the best with a silver/pink one. The silver with a trace of green works good too
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by AKfishkiller View Post
    But one thing is certain, if there's a humpy within 3 miles ihe'll bite it!!
    hahaha! I don't think that's exclusive to Brad's tough! Cohos have always been suckers for something that moves, spins, and is flashy.

The "Hawaiian" good for feeder kings too!

Silver and black works good for me. I don't miss rigging herring all the time, not having to pull gear off the downriggers and check it after a hit on a pole. Does anyone use the scent chambers and think they make a difference? I was doing this for a while, but they seem to work just fine without loading it with scent.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Silver and black works good for me. I don't miss rigging herring all the time, not having to pull gear off the downriggers and check it after a hit on a pole. Does anyone use the scent chambers and think they make a difference? I was doing this for a while, but they seem to work just fine without loading it with scent.
    I`ve done fine with/without scent. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to put scent in it though when prospecting. I`m actually very impressed with J-Plugs over the Brad`s but they both work well.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

How would you guys recommend rigging a Brad's without a downrigger for trolling? I tried them last year and got so many knots and spun lines it wasn't worth the effort. Only caught one fish, too. It was less of a hassle to go back to simple herring for me, but I definitely felt like I could have rigged it better somehow. Also really like not having to check the bait if you miss a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    How would you guys recommend rigging a Brad's without a downrigger for trolling?
    I do it all the time, putting a good quality snap swivel at the front of a leader, connected to the bead chain end of crescent trolling sinkers. Never a twist or tangle. I also dump the pitiful leader they come with and go to 50# PLine leader material.

BTW- While I love the Brads for trolling, I can't say the same for mooching. Probably a confidence thing, but when it comes to mooching I have the best luck with plug cut herring over everything else, even whole-rigged herring. Just my cross to bear, I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    How would you guys recommend rigging a Brad's without a downrigger for trolling? I tried them last year and got so many knots and spun lines it wasn't worth the effort. Only caught one fish, too. It was less of a hassle to go back to simple herring for me, but I definitely felt like I could have rigged it better somehow. Also really like not having to check the bait if you miss a hit.
    Ball bearing swivels!!! I don't use anything but whether using troll herring, a spinner, any of various lures, or my favorite squid imitators, and I never get any line twist at all. I use the Cabela's Premium ones and HIGHLY recommend them.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I found a supply of assist hooks by Mustad that I added to my Brads and some spoons. Tough as nails and sharp, also stainless. I like the 6/0, though some think its too big. I also trade out the original line and use the rolling swivels, never a twist. Humpies do love them but kings and coho also come in for a taste. A slice of fresh caught herring on the inside boosts my confidence.

Good point on the 6/0. I've tried smaller and tended to miss more strikes and lose more fish. I'm guessing it has something to do with the way any but trailing hooks want to lay flat on Brads, and you just don't get much point past the lure body with smaller hooks in the lead. But I tend to run larger hooks that most folks anyway.

I've been making my own assist hooks, but I'll be looking for the Mustads now. Do you have a model #?

Alright, thanks everyone. I just invested in a handful of the ball-bearing swivels and bead chains, so it sounds like that should help. I also had a hard time decided how to rig the hooks on them; the one that lays flattish against the plug seems counter-intuitive to me. I'll have to experiment a bit with some leaders and hooks before heading out to see what looks like it'll work the best.

Another question, since everyone is bringing up scents: what's the best scent? (this should draw as many answers as responses....lol) I tend to keep it simple and just get herring oil, but I haven't tried some of the newer "super scents" out there.

I will dig through the boat and find the model #. I think the assist hooks look smaller than a si wash of the same size, but have yet to not have a good hook up with the assist. I let the whole hook hang off the back and rubber band the swivel to the plug. I also have extra Mustads that I will let you try out, now to track you down in your secret haunts, BrownBear
    On another note, the larger assist hooks work fantastic on the end of a jig.
    Coho Slayer, I like a herring strip but have used herring gel, it stays on the lure a long time, but some oils I've used have discolored the underside of the plug.

Here`s how I rig mine...

Bead chain on both ends and no flasher/dodger.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

AK2AZ,
    Love the bead held by the band, but Dude! you catch 'em with no hook?!

The way I have been using them is with a regular two hook mooching setup trailing the Brads. I like having that second hook for a chance of a hookup when the silver or king doesn't take it hard, but just swats at it.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    AK2AZ,
    Love the bead held by the band, but Dude! you catch 'em with no hook?!
    What are these 'hooks' you speak of????

I usually use a crimp-on 5/0 siwash for silvers and a 6/0 if I think I will encounter or am targeting Kings. Honestly I don`t really have the patience to chase Kings so I almost always drag them with the 5/0. I have tried a couple different rigs with 2 hook setups but I do like the good clean hookset of a single....almost makes the lure look like it has a nice and shiny chrome tail.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast