Thread: Help Finding Homer Halibut Charter

Default Help Finding Homer Halibut Charter

I'm looking to go on a full day Halibut trip towards the end of August. What are some of the good, reputable charters that take clients out of Homer?

Most of the ones I've run across are either shutdown/being sold (Josh Brooks, Big Bear Halibut, Irish Mist, etc.) or are satisfied going out in Cook Inlet to catch babies. I understand it's an off year for halibut fishing in Homer but are there any charters that take clients out to deep water (Barren Islands, Gulf, etc.) to put clients on fish larger than a typical catfish?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by RangersFanWS View Post
    I'm looking to go on a full day Halibut trip towards the end of August. What are some of the good, reputable charters that take clients out of Homer?

Most of the ones I've run across are either shutdown/being sold (Josh Brooks, Big Bear Halibut, Irish Mist, etc.) or are satisfied going out in Cook Inlet to catch babies. I understand it's an off year for halibut fishing in Homer but are there any charters that take clients out to deep water (Barren Islands, Gulf, etc.) to put clients on fish larger than a typical catfish?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    You don't need to go out to the Barrens or the Gulf to catch big fish bigger than a typical catfish. Try North Country Charters. They have a number of boats and I know a couple of their captains. They are great people and know where to find the fish. Or possibly Ron Hurley on the Sweet T (In2Fishin.com). Ron's a great guy and knows where the fish are, too. Caught the Jackpot Halibut Derby winner a few years ago.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Try Pete Wedin or Mike Manns Artic Addiction. Fished with Mike this year on the grand slam combo, Halibut, Ling & rockfish. He won't give up until the boat has it's limits which was 13hrs. Long run to Gore Point for Lings. As mentioned Sweet T was out there too.
    Used Pete last year when I got shut out on my 2nd day in Seward on a last minute booking. Been around Homer I believe for 30yrs and knows the waters, fishes winter kings as well I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Try Pete Wedin or Mike Manns Artic Addiction. Fished with Mike this year on the grand slam combo, Halibut, Ling & rockfish. He won't give up until the boat has it's limits which was 13hrs. Long run to Gore Point for Lings. As mentioned Sweet T was out there too.
    Used Pete last year when I got shut out on my 2nd day in Seward on a last minute booking. Been around Homer I believe for 30yrs and knows the waters, fishes winter kings as well I believe.
    Yes, Pete (captpete.com) would be a very good choice as well. He will get you on fish.

And you REALLY don't need to Gore Pt. or The Barrens to find big fish. These came from an area about 20 miles closer than The Barrens and about 30 miles or so short of Gore and in my boat it takes about an hour and 20 minutes to get there in good water:
    47lb and 49lb lings.jpghank and cathy w 148 pounder.jpg

Thanks guys - greatly appreciate the help. We are trying to decide whether to go out the day of a full moon or a day or two before. Any advice from past experience in the area or is it mostly hit or miss? Most of the fishing I've done in the past has been trolling so wasn't sure how difficult bottom fishing would be with full moon high tides.

Thanks again.

Thanks guys - greatly appreciate the help. We are trying to decide whether to go out the day of a full moon or a day or two before. Any advice from past experience in the area or is it mostly hit or miss? Most of the fishing I've done in the past has been trolling so wasn't sure how difficult bottom fishing would be with full moon high tides.

Thanks again.
    In my experience the tide really has very little difference in whether or not halibut are going to be feeding. They have to eat whether the tide is big or small. In the last two months I have fished for halibut every day except 4 and I have never come back in without a limit. The ONLY difference I have found that the tide makes is how you fish for them and possibly where.

And, BTW, if you're looking to go out in the next week and a half you'd better start making some quick calls. Most charter operators, like myself, are booked solid for the next couple of weeks heading up to Labor Day. I don't have an open day until the middle of the first week of Sept. You might not have any choice as to what day you go out.

Thanks again.

I'd worry more about finding a captain you're happy with and hope his schedule will allow you to fish with him at all. You may find yourself booking a trip with your 4th or 5th choice. It's August and it's Homer. People are fishing. Boats have been booked for months. Don't worry about moon phases. A good captain will put you on fish, regardless. Do a little research and find a boat you think you'll have a good time on and get out there and catch fish. At the end of the day, it's wildlife. There's no way to figure them out entirely or every captain down there would have a stern full of barn doors every day.

Hell, I booked my trip a month ago and the weather ended up screwing us and we ended up cancelling (wife gets sea sick and didn't want to make the drive to have her throwing up all day in 5'+ seas). I tried to book another trip as soon as I could and I won't be fishing until September. That's the price you pay to fish on the boat you end up selecting.

Try Shane w/ Driftwood Charters. He works hard getting you fish.

[QUOTE=DucksAndDogs;1163201]I'd worry more about finding a captain you're happy with and hope his schedule will allow you to fish with him at all. You may find yourself booking a trip with your 4th or 5th choice. It's August and it's Homer. People are fishing. Boats have been booked for months. Don't worry about moon phases. A good captain will put you on fish, regardless. Do a little research and find a boat you think you'll have a good time on and get out there and catch fish. At the end of the day, it's wildlife. There's no way to figure them out entirely or every captain down there would have a stern full of barn doors every day.

+1
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

Charterboat Operator

[QUOTE=B&C 04;1163603]
    Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I'd worry more about finding a captain you're happy with and hope his schedule will allow you to fish with him at all. You may find yourself booking a trip with your 4th or 5th choice. It's August and it's Homer. People are fishing. Boats have been booked for months. Don't worry about moon phases. A good captain will put you on fish, regardless. Do a little research and find a boat you think you'll have a good time on and get out there and catch fish. At the end of the day, it's wildlife. There's no way to figure them out entirely or every captain down there would have a stern full of barn doors every day.

+1
    Brooks Alaskan Adventures!!! Capt Josh F/V Huntress!!!! He just got finished up with PWS Seining all summer and will have the Huntress in the water and ready to kick some BUT for you guy's! He will be fishing all of Sept and into Oct!!! King's Halibut,Rock fish and Ling!!! Give him a call 907-399-3775!!!! Bring some nice weather and he will do the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!