Thread: buggy or wheeler????

Default buggy or wheeler????

Was wondering what your guys opinion is on the two, buggy or wheeler? I currently have a wheeler with a meat trailer that i use for hunting. But being as it is I have decided to change hunting units where buggies are allowed. Is it possible to get further or do more with a buggy? Reason for the change of units is due to the amount of people that have been showing up in the area that i have prevously hunted, no matter how far back i went. I understand that no matter where you go there are going to be people, just trying to distance myself from the "Weekend hunters" and am curouse if it would be worth building a buggy or just sticking with a wheeler. Pros versus cons ???? thanks for the help

Well, buggy users have their areas limited so they are more concentrated now. By the time you get a buggy built, so will everyone else at the rate this state is growing. By the time you get a great buggy and the area figured out, will it be closed to buggies? That's my opinion on it.

Track rig. Go farther than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Track rig. Go farther than anyone else.
    Until you hit a river.

If I had a need for a new toy, it'd be an Argo or MuddOx fully enclosed on tracks.

Think dual purpose for winter too. Crazy ice fishing access.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Until you hit a river.

If I had a need for a new toy, it'd be an Argo or MuddOx fully enclosed on tracks.

Any experience around track rigs? Most can handle rivers just fine. You may be thinking of a certain kind but many are more capable than people realize. And a lot of them do less damage than rubber tired rigs. Imagine taking your ranger in on the back of one and then using it to hunt from base camp.

I was assistant guiding back in the '70'sand 80's. One outfitter had a "TYKOL' which i used to access Moose country and haul out meat.
    This was an amazing rig. We had to criss cross a glacial river. When you tried to return mid day I found my rig being pushed downstream until the tracks found bottom again. we climbed hills and a couple times almost endowed. But, it got us to several 70+ Moose two made the B.C record book.

Until you hit a river.

Huh apparently you haven't been around a susv if I had 35 grand to burn I buy that before I ever bought an Argo or Mudd ox. Mercedes diesel and go through just about anything. You have a lot to learn padawan lol

I'd go for a Thycol over a susv. I've seen plenty of military technology, you keep it!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I'd go for a Thycol over a susv. I've seen plenty of military technology, you keep it!
    Lol ok your right what do we know....

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    Well, buggy users have their areas limited so they are more concentrated now. By the time you get a buggy built, so will everyone else at the rate this state is growing. By the time you get a great buggy and the area figured out, will it be closed to buggies? That's my opinion on it.
    Good Point

Dunno about that. Seen a SUSV push itself out of many holes over many years. Lot to be said for the rear power train.

I guess it all comes down to the area you want to hunt and what those conditions are like. I have used trucks, atvs, and snowmachines and wouldn't mind having a track rid for some areas as well.

Track rigs and argo's are slow but they will get you into places nothing else will. I think the track rig gives you more access due to it's ability to cross rivers and there are a few that I want to cross. Something about floating down a fast moving glacial river in an argo is not appealing at all!

bronco, the same can be said for floating sideways in a track rig. Thoughts of a rollover were rampant in my head before I stopped here. (Puter is fighting me, to post later)

One other thing a track rig can do is deliver the meat to a NICE place for the cutting.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Bullbuster- Do you need a new friend? One of those has been on my wish list for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Bullbuster- Do you need a new friend? One of those has been on my wish list for a while now.
    Get in line bud I have been trying to warm up to bullbuster for a few years now!

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    bronco, the same can be said for floating sideways in a track rig. Thoughts of a rollover were rampant in my head before I stopped here. (Puter is fighting me, to post later)

One other thing a track rig can do is deliver the meat to a NICE place for the cutting.

You are right floating sideways in anything is a bad feeling and the bigger the rig the deeper and swifter the water is that we all will try and cross.

I can't seem to post the river pic, but here is one of another river issue. It is not all easy rolling. About 12 hours to get this out.

I still vote tracks!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

LOL! When it is 3 Am and the river is freezing around the tracks, I need all the friends that I can get!!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

It's all part of the adventure Gotta hate shelf ice!

Yeah those susv are really nice, we used to rebuild the motors for a guy up on the slope. I think that im going to try and go the buggy route, but there is a good point on how long with they be allowed. so any hints on making a good buggy from trial and error?