Thread: Shooting Sticks for kid?

Default Shooting Sticks for kid?

I've been working with my son and the centerfire rifle in prep for hunting season. Right now with my old 336 in 30-30 and my 270. He does OK from prone but as we all know that's not always a good choice in the field. He lacks the upper body to heft either for long off hand or sitting...has anyone tried to something like shooting sticks like Africa or the old Bison hunters with a kid to steady a standing or sitting shot?

I've not managed to get him a "youth" bolt rifle in left hand that might be easier for him to use and he wants to take my adult sized 336.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Crossed style shooting sticks HIS size work well. He can fold them up and use them for a walking stick. Or you could use a set of ski poles and cross them when the time arises. These will help control the extended weight and increase his confidence and shot placement. BUT, whatever you choose some practice from different positions is in order; and remember he's shorter and smaller than you so targets you see may not be visible to him. ANYTHING beats nothing shooting offhand ! Most youth rifles with shorter LOP and have the ability to replace the shorter stock with a full length stock when needed.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

My little shooters have been using the Primos Trigger stick for a while now. Really quick to adjust. They like it and the results dont lie.

http://www.primos.com/products/trigger-sticks/

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    My little shooters have been using the Primos Trigger stick for a while now. Really quick to adjust. They like it and the results dont lie.

http://www.primos.com/products/trigger-sticks/
    I second that Primos suggestion. Mine is their tripod one. Their ad (at the link above) really says it like it is. One trigger pull and all three legs extend automatically. If you're on a hill, each leg will hit ground where it can then let trigger go and you're all solid and leveled, all in an instant. Not too heavy either. And all 3 legs wrap together during hiking & it can be used as a walking stick.

Hodgeman, how old is your little hunting buddy? What does he say? Does he like the lever gun? Is the left handedness engrained? Is he young enough that he could convert to right handed? My grandson did it and it was easier than I thought, however we did it from the get go. If he has already gotten comfortable with it then so be it.

There are several options. There is a factory 336 youth stock on gunbroker right now for $50. That will correct length of pull but the 336 could still be barrel heavy. I know where there is a Rossi 92 in 44 mag with a 16 inch barrel. A little stockwork and that gun would really fit well. The price would be very right on this gun. Also CVA makes a Scout Compact single shot with a dura-sight scope mount or you can get it with iron sights. My wife has only ever had one gun that she really cared for and it was the CVA...my wife is 4'10". They can be had in 243,7mm-08 or 308 for $250.

Not much gives me warm fuzzies anymore but a Pop doing the first gun thing with his boy gets me everytime. Good on ya!

Thanks guys- EKC, he's a small built 11yo. His Mini 20 with a 10.5" LOP fits perfectly. My 336 is probably 13.5 or 14" and it's the 20" version...built in the 30s IIRC> it's a real tank compared to a newer version but so far so good. The "left eyedness" is pretty well ingrained and he has enough vision issues without causing anything else to think about. That's one cool thing about levers- pretty much ambi right from the get go.

He likes the lever pretty well, much better than my open sighted .270. Marlin has a kid version of the 336 with 12"LOP and a 16"bbl.

I'd probably buy it if I ever found one but until then I think the shooting sticks give us a workable solution.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Also CVA makes a Scout Compact single shot with a dura-sight scope mount or you can get it with iron sights. My wife has only ever had one gun that she really cared for and it was the CVA...my wife is 4'10". They can be had in 243,7mm...
    I'd never heard of one of these until this post...what a great looking little gun. If the dealer had stocked these I'd have already bought one! what a neat little gun. DNZ also makes a scope mount so you could have open sights and scope. Practical! Think one of those with a Leupold 2.5x or 4x would make a great first centerfire.

Thanks EKC!

I like shooting sticks if I have the space to carry them. I made my longest shot on a game animal to date off a pair of Stony Point shooting sticks, I have a pair of their Safari Stix for offhand shooting but they are quite tall, almost too much for my 5'9" lady and they fit me perfectly as I stand 6'4".
    I think that starting the boy hunting with the Marlin is a great idea, as you stated it's pretty much ambi, and the 30-30 will limit him to reasonable ranges for a beginner, building good stalking skills early on. If he really learns to like the levergun a BLR in 06 might be a great "forever gun" for Jr to find under the Christmas tree.
    Good luck this fall and be sure to post a pic of the young man with his first game animal.

Default Shooting Sticks for kid?

Add me to the list of trigger stick fans. The boy and I both have one of the monopod versions and they will make the trip for the wife's bou tag as well.

Default mono vs tri

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Add me to the list of trigger stick fans. The boy and I both have one of the monopod versions and they will make the trip for the wife's bou tag as well.
    There's more great info for those new to a good shooting stick like Primos'. LuJon travels very light and favors the Primos mono-pod, and I tend to travel really heavy (and use an engine to get there instead of my feet), and love my Primos tri-pod though its more than double the weight I'm sure. To each our own; we're probably both right.

So back to the OP - choosing a shooting stick for your kid - plan if he is, or soon will be a light traveler - if so then go mono-pod. But if you're a heavy traveler and think he will be too, go for the tripod - it is the best imo, it makes it worth more than its weight to me.

Maybe there's a bunch more like Primos's out there; I don't know; I haven't been looking.

I used to carry an attached bi-pod on my hunting rifle until Stoney Point came out with those paired shooting sticks that are shock corded - I use them anytime I am making a shot that I have a few seconds to prepare for - As far as the height of the shooter goes, it is alway a consideration for a smaller statured shooter and even at 5' 11" I now and then have to adjust for find a better spot to set up - As soon as they came out I replaced with the "safari weight" sticks and even those are like a feather but they will surely steady you once practiced with for technique - those new Marlin bolt actions in the "youth" model are a great deal - I have set up 3 now for friends' kids and they all shot very well and balanced decently with very reasonable weight AND they are inexpensive AND come in SS or CM

I have a set of the Stoney Point shooting sticks I bought for my family to use and the kids and I both love them. They don't weigh anything and are easy to carry since they are just like a tent pole with the elastic shock cord holding the sections together.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'd never heard of one of these until this post...what a great looking little gun. If the dealer had stocked these I'd have already bought one! what a neat little gun. DNZ also makes a scope mount so you could have open sights and scope. Practical! Think one of those with a Leupold 2.5x or 4x would make a great first centerfire.

Thanks EKC!
    What chambering do you think would be best for him? The CVAs are light and there will be some recoil but loading down is always an option.

I'm probably just going shoot for a .243Win. The recoil won't be more severe than his 20ga and I can load up some light loads for winter predators too.

Also trying to find some of the stoney point sticks. We messed around with the 336 and some hiking poles I lashed together last I- think the sticks will be the ticket for sitting or offhand.

Sportsmans normally has the sticks on hand but I ordered mine from Cabela's.

The .243 is a great cartridge and does well for little shooters and big alike. I bought my girls one 5 years ago and none of them have any problem shooting it with 100gr Nosler Partitions. So far it has taken one cow moose and one black bear, we will see how it does on caribou later this fall.