Thread: How popular are 172's in AK?

Default How popular are 172's in AK?

Reason I'm asking:....

My son and I are planning on a trip from the lower 48 next summer. We have access to a 1974m model 172. It has about 1650 hrs TT on it since new. Yes A&E 1650. Hanger kept since new, no corrosion. Had the top done a few years ago.. Considering flying it up there, traveling around for a couple of weeks then coming home. Owner of the plane wants to sell but the market is pretty soft down here.. Thinking about flying it up and airline-ing home. Don't know if I'd be up for the long trip both ways....

Well the market is pretty soft no matter were you go these days. That is a really low time airframe. The best thing to do is to Ad with the full rundown in the local papers. It might sell, it all depends on what the panel has for radios. Its the same old same old with prices, Asking and actually getting a check is two different things. It might be a sweet deal for somebody. I would consider it myself if I was unemployed for so long. Clean low time 172's there is always a market for them. But this time around its as bad as I ever seen it and I been flying since the mid 1970's, its tough to make a living as a pilot these days.

Low time airframe, but high time engine.
    I just had one of my students sell his at a big loss (compared to what he paid for it) and his engine had a 200 less hours than yours.
    The C-172 market up here is fairly soft....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I wouldn't bank on coming up and selling it. Things will sell if they are priced right, but when they are too high they don't move. The high engine time will scare off a lot of people, because you basically got to add 20K to the purchase price for an overhaul.

Thanks for the replies... We'll probably do the trip and fly both ways. Again, Thanks..

That would be best, really not a good thing to leave your valuibles 1000's of miles away and in a harsh weather envroment. Make sure you call your insurance company, I think some companys give you 30 day grace peroid but it's worth the call. just getting wind damage while parked and having them tell you you aren't covered.

172s are fine airplanes. With properly sized tires they're good back country airplanes and are very capable for Alaska missions. 1650TT on an E2D is no big deal if the plane's been well cared for. That engine may last another 1500 hours without a hiccup. Put an ad in Alaskaslist and see if anyone bites. Where isn't nearly as important as who. It takes the right buyer looking for the right plane to make a sale. Your low time airframe will turn some heads. Don't let taildragger envy discourage you.

Do verify that your insurance covers Canada and Alaska, and look at your limitations for operations. And have a great trip. That should be a superb memory maker.

Some nice instruments or even better yet a float-kit would make to plane more of an eye-catcher for some folks. I had one I sold a couple years ago with 3600 hours on a 150 horse. It had been topped 3 times and I changed oil every 25 hours. That along with some good instruments let me sell her in a few weeks. Being flown on a regular basis was a big selling point.
    The plane you are talking about is 38 years old with 1650 hours... So an average of 43 hours a year....
    Where she has been stored , tied up or hangared makes a difference as well. A sea-side town in Maine or a hangar in Texas....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    172s are fine airplanes. With properly sized tires they're good back country airplanes and are very capable for Alaska missions. 1650TT on an E2D is no big deal if the plane's been well cared for. That engine may last another 1500 hours without a hiccup. Put an ad in Alaskaslist and see if anyone bites. Where isn't nearly as important as who. It takes the right buyer looking for the right plane to make a sale. Your low time airframe will turn some heads. Don't let taildragger envy discourage you.

Do verify that your insurance covers Canada and Alaska, and look at your limitations for operations. And have a great trip. That should be a superb memory maker.
    Great advise.. Just saw the plane again yesterday and may have to find a way to buy it myself.. I'll post a picture after i see it again. Hangared its whole life in SW Pa.

Bought a 1975 C-172-M in 1984 we overhauled at 2400 hrs and the engine was in good shape ... It is a good 2 PERSON off airport aircraft ... Had an 0320-E2d and that engine was perfect. Landed at places like Polly Creek, Kustitan, Lake Creek and lots of off airport places in the Knik river area .... Again a good off airport plane at under gross conditions, it is a two person off airport plane ... nothing less than 800 ft of available runway.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Bought a 1975 C-172-M in 1984 we overhauled at 2400 hrs and the engine was in good shape ... It is a good 2 PERSON off airport aircraft ... Had an 0320-E2d and that engine was perfect. Landed at places like Polly Creek, Kustitan, Lake Creek and lots of off airport places in the Knik river area .... Again a good off airport plane at under gross conditions, it is a two person off airport plane ... nothing less than 800 ft of available runway.
    Great advise...

The only off airport operation I would consider would be on the Tsiu river. Hard sand, 1,500' more or less where I would be going..

Aiplane is light on avionics... Old Narco stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Single pilot IFR in AK is asking for trouble, icing year round and MEA's that go to 22,000 ft. Definately a VFR place, that being said ... a good Garman GPS and a 720 com is probably all you will need and actually use ... have a good flight

Yup..

Would never consider the trip without an IFR capable airplane.. I have no interest in doing any IFR, but to get stuck 500 miles from home for a couple days because of an 900' ceiling...

Toooo far to go to potentially lose days of travel in the lower 48 when I could be fishing..

OK U.da.man .... good luck! 172 is not an IFR plane in AK ... check your weather.