Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i get them thru canada?

Default how do i get them thru canada?

need advice on getting guns thru canada, rifles, shotguns, handguns, with the least hassle at the border, not bringing an arsenal but would hate to be up there, with gun i need back home in the safe

Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    handguns
    My .02 worth.....Don't think pistols are gonna happen. Strictly enforced "no-handguns" at the border.

Might I suggest the BEST answer to your question is to contact the Canadian's directly. I'm sure you can find a phone # on the internet.

My Dad mails his to himself when he flys up and back down. Look into it, I learned about mailing guns from the post office. There are specific rules though.... Just an idea!

- Clint

the best thing i heard is to mail them to yourself because of the antigun flac from the canadian gov. it is just easier to use the mail. im sure that the post office can help you get thru the hurdles.

-Bill

Canada's restrictions on long guns sometimes differs from ours; pistol grips, folding stocks, etc., are typically taboo, as are some extended magazines on shotguns if the gun didn't come that way from the factory.

Recent developments, (last year or so), have made it possible to carry a SEALED case containing a hand-gun through Canada (first time since '78), but the process differs from long guns.

With long guns, when you show up at the border, assuming that the guns are properly stored (*See/inquire re. Canadian laws), you pay an annual registration fee, which used to be $50.00 CDN. All 'legal' long guns may go on that ONE -annual- registration by serial number, etc. Some avoid this, due to it being akin to round-about registration, due to internationally-linked data bases.

Handguns must be approved in advance of travel, through the Canadian Consoloate/Canadian Immigration and Customs, and I don't know if that was strictly arranged for Alaskans, or if it's a quasi-free-for-all. It's relatively new. I imagine that it may have its own set of fees attached, as well, or might just go onto your other annual permit for long guns, though in advance, as opposed to 'at the border.'.

BUT!!!! If you have so much as a shoplifting, DUI, or ANY issue on your criminal background check (******), you will likely be turned squarely around, and told not to come back... Ever. Even if said charges originated 35 years ago. ;^>) (Don't be offended; our U.S. Customs folks are doing much the same thing to their folks, and more.. (Should be a real pay-day for already hurting tourist dollars.) <Sarcasm intended>.

My record's clean as a new whistle, but I know of persons who've been turned back from -very- expensive trips for ancient issues that were otherwise of little real current concern, other than they were on paper/computer from long ago and far away.

Welcome to the convenience of the 'computer age.'

ruffle
    Last edited by Murphy; 04-18-2007 at 17:22. Reason: political comments

I may be the only voice out here that doesn't have a problem with the Canuck laws.

That said. I sent my handgun from FFL to FFL. Rifles were not a problem. Shotguns, 22's, air rifles... no problem. You can take these through the border. Don't bring a federal armory's worth of ammo with you. I believe you can't exceed 200 rounds (check that one). I never carried that much with me, so it wasn't an issue. Declare your arms at the border. You will have to go inside and fill out the form. The fee is $50 canadian... which is about 35$ U.S. (obviously the exchange rate will dictate).

Do yourself a favor and write down your make, model, serial #, on all your weapons prior to getting to the border. This will only expedite the paperwork. I didn't spend more than 15 minutes at the border...total. Furthermore, I wasn't searched or harrassed. I have been given more grief by my own border patrol agents than the Canadians.

I had a friend of mine just go through the border with 12-13 long guns (he was moving). He declared them, filled out the paperwork, paid the money, and was on his way... no searching of the vehicle either.

Maybe my experiences aren't typical, but I haven't personally heard of horror stories from the border. They want to know who is bringing guns into their country. If you are going into their country, you must declare what you have, and sign that you have it. I can respect that.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default Canadian Firearm Center

This should help you out. At least a place to get started with phone numbers.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/default_e.asp

I stop in Seattle and ship mine as air freight on Alaska Airlines. You have to take them to the air freight office. Simple and easy. They must be in a locked case and they do inspect them to make sure they are unloaded.

I thought is was easier than going thru the stuff at the border. I did that before and it must have been on the wrong day. It took 3 hours.

Other airlines may also offer that service but I don't know about them.

Default easy

Stop at US Customs......fill out a 4457 form(free)........present the form to Canadian Customs........fill out Canadian form.......pay fee.......you're on your way.

The 4457 form(US) cuts out a lot of stuff on the Canadian side........the fee you pay is reasonable but is no longer an annual fee.......the Canadian forms are good for 60 days....I have laminated 4457 forms for all of my guns that I travel with.

Joe
    Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

As Buckmark pointed out, the Canadian Firearm Center is http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca once you are there, then click on "Fact Sheets" then click on
    "Firearm Users Visiting Canada". All current information should be there.

There is also a 1-800-731-4000 number but I am not sure if it works in the USA.

Good luck

looks like you guys have it easier getting your guns into canada than I have trying to get my canadian guns into the states. tried crossing into michigan this fall to shave a few hours. of drive time on the way up moose hunting. after standing inline for 90 minutes, ended up with a border guard that didn't know the BATF form was not necesary if guns were just transiting thru.{I had called and had been told as much by batf} luckily, the guard to his left was aware of this, so wasn't immediately turned away. then I was informed all beef food products would have to surrendered, because even though the commercial beef dispute had been resolved, canadians couldn't travel thru the states with a pot of homemade chili on their way to hunt camp. mad cow disease lives in the coolers of canadian tourists we were told. ya, right.after 2 full hours of being stuck at border, I gave up, asked if we could just go back to canada, and took the long way around. 15 mins. to get thru the border? you guys are lucky.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    ....BUT!!!! If you have so much as a shoplifting, DUI, or ANY issue on your criminal background check (*****), you will likely be turned squarely around, and told not to come back... Ever.....
    You can drop the partisan stuff.

This happened before Bush.
    Last edited by Murphy; 04-18-2007 at 17:25. Reason: Political banter

Alaska Airlines - Gold Streak or Freight.

BUT!!!! If you have so much as a shoplifting, DUI, or ANY issue on your criminal background check (******), you will likely be turned squarely around, and told not to come back... Ever. Even if said charges originated 35 years ago. ;^>) (Don't be offended; our U.S. Customs folks are doing much the same thing to their folks, and more.. (Should be a real pay-day for already hurting tourist dollars.) <Sarcasm intended>.
    I have heard this before and do not doubt it one bit. But I know someone who drove from Anchorage to the lower 48 and passed the boarder twice. It just so happens they had a DUI that was only a couple years prior. That persion had no problem getting through. Now the plot thickens, they picked up another DUI in the republic of California and they plan to drive back to Alaska at the end of this month. I hope the cannucks turn that person back to where they came from.

It is a hit or miss deal on getting in at the border. Sometimes they run a complete record check and sometimes they don't. Do you live dangerous and take the chance? I used to live in Ketchikan and would often take the ferry to Prince Rupert to get on the road system. I have seen countless people turned back at the border. They then have to get them and their car back on the ferry. They your screwed. You only have 2 choices. Fly out or take the ferry to Bellingham. Who can afford that. I was going to do it one summer and for me and my standard size pickup it was going to cost over $1000 to take the ferry.

Mark

I will complain no more about it.........as long as Canadian citizens get the same treatment if/when they try to enter the States.

Any bets on that?

Here's what ATF has to say about mailing firearms:

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

I recently shipped 7 handguns and 14 rifles from Michigan to AK. I used FedEx at a nominal cost. When I checked with USPS the clerk flat out turned me off and said it wasn't doable and illegal. I happened to have a copy of the ATF quote above on me and showed it to him. His story then changed real quick and he broke out the USPS code on mailing firearms for the state of Michigan to validate it could be done with long guns only. After checking he then said it could be done but didn't recommend it. Bottom line: If you do use USPS to ship long guns make sure the state regs are referenced before hand as there could be a stipulation preventing this from happening. In case anyone was wondering it cost me just over $500 to ship all guns through FedEx. Good luck and trust your guns only to those who you trust or can and will cover the replacement costs 100%.

I just use the P.O.

I moved up here almost 2 yrs ago. I had to stop at the border and register my rifle with them for $50 Can. It was pretty easy. I am pretty sure it was 1 fee per gun. Their webiste gives some info and I called tehm as well to get it presented to me on a level I could better understand (about a 3rd grade level). If I recall handguns are a no no. I even had some reloading stuff. The limits on the powder and primers was pretty high. As for the DUI stuff and things, the word on the street to us coasties is that you WILL be turned around.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mweisenbaugh View Post
    .....As for the DUI stuff and things, the word on the street to us coasties is that you WILL be turned around.
    I got turned around 6 years ago. Since then, I think the Bush-bashing and anti-war sentiment in Ottawa has gotten worse. I suspect the border agents have been instructed to screw with the Yanks.

At any rate, the border agent that denied me gave me a packet of documents I could use to get "amnesty" from the Canadian government. I asked what such amnesty would cost in money. She said either $250 if it could be done the easy way, or $1000 if it had to be the hard way.

I just figured they'd want it hard, and decided that I didn't want to donate $1K to the leftists in Ottawa for their "forgiveness".

I fly now (when I just have to go).

But, frankly, I'm not sure who's worse; the Canadian border agents, or TSA..........

I try to stay home since 2001...................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast