Thread: A rescuing lab?

Default A rescuing lab?

So here's a question for you guys. Do you think labs have some sort of sense of rescuing people they think are in distress? I ask because of something that happened last weekend with my yellow lab.

My son, and later my son and I, were floating wih the current downstream in a creek wearing out PFDsn and the dog was swimming along in the water too. At one point my son yelled out that the dog was trying to bite him. My response was "yeah right, you must be holding a cookie." A while later, the dog swam out to me, in the middle of the creek, and jumped on me and started mouthing my arm. He did this several times before I realized that he was grabbing my arm and trying to turn back toward shore. He was trying to pull me back in, or so I think.

Am I off my rocker here? Is it possible or probable that he was intentionally trying to pull me in because he thought I was floating away (which I was) or that something was wrong? Or was he just retrieving something out of the water?

Default Rescuing Lab

I think he was trying to pull you in. I know our Chessies do the same. They grab the arm because that is what the can hold onto. If you grab the collar, my bet is the dog heads for shore. Our Male allows us to grab collar or ruff, the female will let us grab her tail. Both go crazy if the head goes under water, or if there is excessive splashing.

It makes sense that water dogs know they swim better than we do, and are looking out for us

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    So here's a question for you guys. Do you think labs have some sort of sense of rescuing people they think are in distress? I ask because of something that happened last weekend with my yellow lab.

My son, and later my son and I, were floating wih the current downstream in a creek wearing out PFDsn and the dog was swimming along in the water too. At one point my son yelled out that the dog was trying to bite him. My response was "yeah right, you must be holding a cookie." A while later, the dog swam out to me, in the middle of the creek, and jumped on me and started mouthing my arm. He did this several times before I realized that he was grabbing my arm and trying to turn back toward shore. He was trying to pull me back in, or so I think.

Am I off my rocker here? Is it possible or probable that he was intentionally trying to pull me in because he thought I was floating away (which I was) or that something was wrong? Or was he just retrieving something out of the water?