Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

Thread: Open Carry in Anchorage

  1. #1
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default Open Carry in Anchorage

    So here's the deal: I'm knocking out some National Guard training in Anchorage. Since I'm up here a fair amount, I rent a room from a fellow national guardsman in a not so great neighborhood in Anchorage (boundary/Muldoon). I was wanting to run to the store real quick to grab a bottle of wine (I know, I know), but my friend worked a long shift, and was parked behind me... I didn't want to wake him up.

    I went ahead and walked the short distance to the brown jug, and was only accosted once for a cigarette on the way- some foul language was thrown my way by a kid, but whatever. On the way back, there were a few (4) individuals hanging around the tailgate of a pickup who wanted to know "what I had in the bag? Anything I [they] want?"

    I just kept my eyes forward, and as one individual started to walk into the middle of the sidewalk, blocking my way, I started scanning the group for threats, and reached my hand into my 5.11 Concealed Carry shirt towards my 1911. I did not brandish, nor did I think that using my pistol (in my hand) at that point as a deterrent was a good idea. Nevertheless, simply reaching in the direction of a pistol to prepare for a bad situation, was enough for the main guy to put his hands up and say "Yo Yo man, ***" and back away. I was genuinely concerned for my safety at the time.

    I continued walking, saying nothing and went into the house a short distance away.

    That being said, I can't help but think if I was open carrying, I would have been left alone to begin with. I don't want to have to shoot someone, I don't want to be in that situation... ever. Is it worth it to open carry, and NOT look like a potential victim to begin with? (I'm sure these thugs would have given me a wide birth from the getgo if they knew I was carrying). Is Anchorage the kind of town where I would garner undo attention from the Police?

    As an outsider to Anchorage and the city for the most part, I'm just curious on some of your thoughts.

  2. #2

    Default

    Let's see walking into a beer store late at nite carrying a 1911 in the open might have garnered a little attention. Let's sell the man with a gun something to drink so he can get drunk and shoot up the neighborhood, NOT ! Likely if you don't have a gun in that neighborhood, you're the only person that doesn't. You just didn't look like a good reason to engage in a gun battle and the azz clowns left.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  3. #3
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Let's see walking into a beer store late at nite carrying a 1911 in the open might have garnered a little attention. Let's sell the man with a gun something to drink so he can get drunk and shoot up the neighborhood, NOT ! Likely if you don't have a gun in that neighborhood, you're the only person that doesn't. You just didn't look like a good reason to engage in a gun battle and the azz clowns left.
    This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks... in Homer, I've come back from the cabin on numerous occasions with the 45 revolver on my chest, and swung by to pick up a six-pack with nary a second look or thought, I guess in Anchorage it's different.

  4. #4
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    BTW, in case anyone is thinking along these lines, I checked the laws, and it's not illegal to carry in a liquor store, just in places that have consumption on the premises.

  5. #5
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,214

    Default

    Not so sure u can't carry where there is consumption. Just that the carrier can't be consuming, I believe. Can someone verify this?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

  6. #6
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Not so sure u can't carry where there is consumption. Just that the carrier can't be consuming, I believe. Can someone verify this?
    The way I read it is that I cannot carry in a "bar" but I can carry where there is alcohol being consumed as long as I dont consume... that being said, I cant carry in coots, but I can in Applebees as long as I don't consume.

  7. #7
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default Open Carry in Anchorage

    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    The way I read it is that I cannot carry in a "bar" but I can carry where there is alcohol being consumed as long as I dont consume... that being said, I cant carry in coots, but I can in Applebees as long as I don't consume.
    Bar vs restaurant.

    Any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for consumption on the premises, except a restaurant where the person carrying the firearm did not consume intoxicating liquor.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  8. #8
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    I know that I was legal, but I'm more interested in the Anchorage culture, and the likelihood of getting harassed. Also, the forums opinion of open vs concealed in a bad neighborhood


    thnks

  9. #9
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default Open Carry in Anchorage

    You look for trouble, you may find it. You go out packing, most punks will back off. But you only need 1 that won't.

    I had a drunk enter the passenger side of my truck at REI. I pulled my handgun and he promptly left the area running.

    Carrying a weapon doesn't guarantee it will diffuse a situation. If your in the wrong place at the right time it can make it worse.

    Someone was just telling me today there was a fight on JBER that ended up with guns drawn outside the enlisted club.

    Your duty while carrying is to assess the situation before any weapon is drawn.

    Safe packin!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  10. #10
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    You look for trouble, you may find it. You go out packing, most punks will back off. But you only need 1 that won't.

    I had a drunk enter the passenger side of my truck at REI. I pulled my handgun and he promptly left the area running.

    Carrying a weapon doesn't guarantee it will diffuse a situation. If your in the wrong place at the right time it can make it worse.

    Someone was just telling me today there was a fight on JBER that ended up with guns drawn outside the enlisted club.

    Your duty while carrying is to assess the situation before any weapon is drawn.

    Safe packin!
    weird, having guns on JBER is illegal... I wonder how that happened also, people go the the E-club there? Weird

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    ...if I was open carrying, I would have been left alone to begin with.
    Either that or, if they REALLY wanted what you had, and saw the gun, they would have ambushed you from the dark, killed you before you had a chance to draw, and taken whatever it was.


    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I don't want to have to shoot someone, I don't want to be in that situation... ever.
    Then don't. You have a legal, 2nd amendment right to choose to use a firearm for your own self defense, but you don't have a legal, 2nd amendment REQUIREMENT to use a firearm. Do you really want to kill someone over a bottle of wine?

    Granted, their scumbags. (Both kinds, really, scum AND villainy.) But to kill someone over something so trivial? Give'em the wine and go on with your life. Give'm the wallet and credit cards; they're replaceable. When you put your hand on your pistol, did you ever think, "what if they're carrying, too?" I'll ask it: what would have happened to you if the four of them all pulled pistols out at that time?

    Open carry, as you've rightly suggested, can be a tactic to avoid confrontation. It's a tactic based entirely on fear and intimidation. When one carries a gun in the open, he or she is sending a message, and that message is "Don't )*&% with me or I'll kill ya!" That only works when the people in whom you are trying to instill fear and intimidate are unarmed.

    But to answer your question about Anchorage culture and guns, very few people would take a second look. I once complained to the management at Title Wave about a guy rapidly roaming the aisles carrying a holstered Glock, and the manager answered "This is Alaska." When I'm in a public place of business and I see someone with a gun, I leave.

  12. #12
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default Open Carry in Anchorage

    I tend to disagree with the idea of just handing it over. Making thievery easy causes the thief to be more bold.. A man that tries to mug you and does anything but run when you draw is likely going to move on to bigger crimes. Look at Peter Parker's grand dad! Sure would suck to be watching the news and see your mugger as the prime suspect in the murder of someone's child in a home invasion. If every bear that approached folks on the kenai had fish tossed to them would you expect the river to remain a safe and peaceful place?

    In life we make choices and there are consequences for those choices! I sure feel a lot worse for the kid who chased a ball into the street without checking for traffic than I do an armed thug who mugged a guy in the street over $50 and a bottle of wine only to get shot In the ensuing resistance.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I tend to disagree with the idea of just handing it over. Making thievery easy causes the thief to be more bold.. A man that tries to mug you and does anything but run when you draw is likely going to move on to bigger crimes. Look at Peter Parker's grand dad! Sure would suck to be watching the news and see your mugger as the prime suspect in the murder of someone's child in a home invasion. If every bear that approached folks on the kenai had fish tossed to them would you expect the river to remain a safe and peaceful place?

    In life we make choices and there are consequences for those choices! I sure feel a lot worse for the kid who chased a ball into the street without checking for traffic than I do an armed thug who mugged a guy in the street over $50 and a bottle of wine only to get shot In the ensuing resistance.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    First of all, I don't think that the OP would have any responsibility for the future actions of a criminal he didn't shoot. I'm not aware of any legal or ethical mandate there. I agree with your comment about not really crying for a criminal killed during the commission of a crime; I never understood why the thug life is so celebrated in certain communities.

    I think my comments were aimed as much or more at the OP's well being than the aggressor's. You talk about not crying for a dead criminal, and I think you assume the OP would have come through the ensuing shoot out unscathed. I don't make that assumption.

    Bottom line for me is ths: I often see posts in here or bumper stickers on cars that say "There is nothing in here worth your life." Truer words were never spoken. But who's life? And if something is not worth dieing for, is it really worth killing for?

    BTW, I actually came back to this thread to delete that post, because I realized that it's only going to needlessly enrage a lot of people here. I apologize for that.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    weird, having guns on JBER is illegal... I wonder how that happened also, people go the the E-club there? Weird
    Its not illegal to have guns on post... Have no idea where you got that from... Now concealed weapons is illegal

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Its not illegal to have guns on post... Have no idea where you got that from... Now concealed weapons is illegal
    Are you sure about that, 323? When I was at Shepard AFB, I had to turn in my guns to the Law Enforcement desk, and they stored them in the armory. I wasn't allowed to have them on post except for transporting from the armory directly off post and from the gate directly to the armory. I also wasn't allowed to shoot them at the base rifle range. Of course, that was past 10 years ago.

  16. #16
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    I donít ever want anyone to know Iím armed till Iím in a shoot situation if I can help it. Like you say these guys may not have bothered you at all if you were open carry BUT maybe they see the gun and alter their tactics . . . you become the one all shocked/surprised with your hands up fearing for your life because they knew you are armed and didnĎt tip their hand!

    Another thing I see about your deal is ďI just kept my eyes forward . . .Ē Bad idea, you look frightened that way, meek and non threatening, like a target. Look at them, reply to them when talked to in an Iím not at all frightened of you kind of way. If they ask me whatís in the bag and I might say something like ďdog crap and Twinkies, you in the market for some?Ē with a smile and keep right on walking. Now youíve confused them some, you posed an unexpected question that made no sense in an odd/funny kind of way, didnít tell them anything but they are kinda in brain lock. You probably walked an extra 15-20 foot before they get that sorted out in their heads and chances are now they are just gonna let you go and talk to each other about you.

    Itís a lot about your attitude, I was a small town kid too, K-8 was just 2 rooms at my school. I moved to Phoenix at 18 and was culture shocked too, walked around meek hoping I didnít find any big city trouble. Eventually, after getting harassed enough I got angry about it so I walked around looking pissed off, soon I started to realize people reacted to me very differently. Most of the thugs out there are just like school bullies, they donít want a real fight they want a victim that looks like they will submit easy . . . donít look like that, look them in the eye, talk to them, come off like someone that isnít afraid of them but also isnít a threatening. I spent a lot of time in rough places and itís universal, come off like more trouble than your worth and 95% of that stuff stops happening to you.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  17. #17
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Then don't. You have a legal, 2nd amendment right to choose to use a firearm for your own self defense, but you don't have a legal, 2nd amendment REQUIREMENT to use a firearm. Do you really want to kill someone over a bottle of wine?

    Granted, their scumbags. (Both kinds, really, scum AND villainy.) But to kill someone over something so trivial? Give'em the wine and go on with your life. Give'm the wallet and credit cards; they're replaceable. When you put your hand on your pistol, did you ever think, "what if they're carrying, too?" I'll ask it: what would have happened to you if the four of them all pulled pistols out at that time?

    Open carry, as you've rightly suggested, can be a tactic to avoid confrontation. It's a tactic based entirely on fear and intimidation. When one carries a gun in the open, he or she is sending a message, and that message is "Don't )*&% with me or I'll kill ya!" That only works when the people in whom you are trying to instill fear and intimidate are unarmed.

    But to answer your question about Anchorage culture and guns, very few people would take a second look. I once complained to the management at Title Wave about a guy rapidly roaming the aisles carrying a holstered Glock, and the manager answered "This is Alaska." When I'm in a public place of business and I see someone with a gun, I leave.
    Your assuming they wanted the wine, wallet, or something easy to replace. What if they want a little something more? Where do you draw the line? Is going home naked okay as long as nobody got shot? Is being battered okay? Raped? Stabbed? Killed? Surely you draw the line someplace? Well how does he know what they intend? Once he gives an inch how then does he keep them from taking a mile? Once you submit you give the levrage/power to them and itís extremely hard to get it back after they have crossed your line but arenít done with you yet!

    I agree a bottle of wine, wallet, car, so on isnít worth dieing or killing over but you NEVER just give it to them. Just give it to them is gobbledygook crap from someone thatís never been there, yea it sounds good but itís dumb and could get you killed. A retired New York cop friend of mine always said ďNutins free, make um pay a lil somethin for everything!Ē The price is knowing their intentions, with one hand on the gun you toss whatever you are willing to give up one way as you go the other, you draw your line without submitting to anything or weakening your position. If they go for the "stuff" you just keep going right to the cops. But if they come for you itís shoot out time because they just told you their intentions are to harm you! Stuff over there is a police matter but stuff over here is a life and death matter.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  18. #18
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Are you sure about that, 323? When I was at Shepard AFB, I had to turn in my guns to the Law Enforcement desk, and they stored them in the armory. I wasn't allowed to have them on post except for transporting from the armory directly off post and from the gate directly to the armory. I also wasn't allowed to shoot them at the base rifle range. Of course, that was past 10 years ago.
    323 is correct, here is the gist of the regs.

    All Persons

    (Civilian and Military)

    1. Personnel residing on USARAK posts and desiring to store weapons in their unit arms room, bachelor officers quarters, bachelor enlisted quarters, or on-post family quarters must immediately declare and register the firearm(s) upon arrival at the boundary within the Visitors Center or if acquired on-post at the Fort Wainwright Police Station.
    2. POFs & Ammo will only be transported on the installation for purchase or sale, for use at authorized ranges, for authorized hunting and trapping, or for authorized, off-post activities.
    3. While being transported, weapons will be in a weapons case.
    4. POF will not be concealed on the person. Firearms will not be transported in a loaded condition. "Loaded" is defined as cartridges in the chamber, clip, or tubular magazine, and/or in the cylinder.
    5. POFs will not be discharged in the cantonment area. They will not be discharged from, on, or across the drivable surface of any constructed road or from any vehicle.
    6. POFs & Ammo will not be stored in on-post, temporary lodging/billeting. They will be temporarily stored at the unit arms room or local MP desk.
    7. Authority granted by the State of Alaska to carry a concealed firearm is NOT valid on USARAK posts.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

    Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

  19. #19
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    I guess this is an issue they still need to work out on the J part. Cause on the Elmo side, there's signs at the gate: "no firearms- 18 USC etc."


    Andy, you're right that my posture was not perfect, but I guess I just wasn't quick enough on my feet.. I'll do better next time lol.

  20. #20
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I guess this is an issue they still need to work out on the J part. Cause on the Elmo side, there's signs at the gate: "no firearms- 18 USC etc."


    Andy, you're right that my posture was not perfect, but I guess I just wasn't quick enough on my feet.. I'll do better next time lol.
    Not sure what the "J" is you are referring to but I have been stationed at Ft Richardson since 2005 and anyone and everyone is allowed to bring firearms onto and off Ft Richardson and Elmendorf. I know it was that way in the 80's-90's as well when my dad was stationed in Alaska. It would kinda be hard for it to not be the case since you can hunt on every Army and Airforce installation in Alaska as well as buy firearms at their PX/BX's.

    And I have never read any of the signs so wouldn't know about that.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

    Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •