Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooligan as bait?

Default Hooligan as bait?

Do hooligan work for bait for halibut?
    I have heard of them being used as pike bait.
    I just have some frozen from last year and was wondering if it could be used for other things.

Charterboat Operator

Default Dont Waste Your Time

even thought they are oily, they are soft and dont stay on. when you rig some way to keep them on the halibut dont really care for them anyway!
    stick w/ good bait!

For the price you pay for herring these days, hooligan work just fine. They may not stay on the hook quite as good but they are just as effective catching fish. I would say that 75% of the time the fish is already on the hookbefore loosing the bait. I also fish hooligan along with salmon, squid, cod or an artificial. In my experience, once the hooligan is gone they don't care for the salmon or squid.

I picked up some curing stuff for hooligan recently. They claim it firms them up so they stay on the hook better. I will be finding out soon enough. Either way I'll continue to use hooligan as bait.

Default My Problem With Them

I love dipping them with the kids and using them for bait, but it seems like they are sort of small. For big halibut don't you want bigger bait?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default well the price is right........

in my experience hooligan can stay on the hook fine. just run your hook to the side of the spine where the rib bones are closer together. the 'buts don't seem as interested in hooligan as they are herring. a couple ways to work around this are: 1 hooligan and 1 small herring per hook, or give your hooligan a couple pokes with a herring scent injector.

i've had great luck using hooligan trolling and mooching for silvers. and of course the **** rockfish don't care what you put in front of em.

In short, they're not as good for halibut as herring, they work great for other fish, but when it comes down to it using them for bait is a good way to save money and utilize your personal use fishery.

Default Bait?

It's been working good for me! Also great for shrimp bait

What also helps if they come off easy is to hook them then get like dental floss and wrap it around the holigan a couple of times. It will stay on good now.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Mark

I've never used them for bait for halibut, but know folks who do.

But they're great burbot bait. They work well for pike, too.

Default Back when

Back when the herring came into the fish processing plant on the city dock here, I would place about 10 herring into a gallon bag, 1/4 cup of pickling salt, couple cups of water and place them in the freezer.

The pickling salt hardened the herrinf making it firmer and stayed better on the hook. I think it also added to the flavor as the halibut liked it too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default chum

Ground up hooligan frozen in 5lb blocks in a chum bag works great. Must create a nice oil slick. I usually add last years freezer burnt herring, and the winters ice fishing heads and guts.

I have seen hooligan used as pike bait very effectively. I have also seen hooligan stay on hooks very well and it would slay the pike. You just have to just the right hook setup. Some of the biggest pike that i have seen caught from the Anchorage bowl were caught on hooligan. Three treble hooks in the back connected to one piece of doubled over mono did the trick.

Thanks for the info

Looks like an ODD hooligan dipping trip might be in order. I'll post when I'm going to head down, maybe mid-May when the run really gets rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Looks like an ODD hooligan dipping trip might be in order. I'll post when I'm going to head down, maybe mid-May when the run really gets rolling.
    Got my net and waders ready. Just say the word.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The best hooligan fishing I have ever seen is on the Big Su. If they are in you better bring a sturdy net and pole because each scoop could fill the net completely.

Default Big Su

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    The best hooligan fishing I have ever seen is on the Big Su. If they are in you better bring a sturdy net and pole because each scoop could fill the net completely.
    I want to get some on the Big Su this year. When is the best time for them on the Big Su?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Seems like right around Memorial Day Weekend.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default memorial hooligan

we camped at the mouth of the yetna last year for memorial weekend and the hooligan were way thick in there. didnt fill the net every scoop but was a good 30 fish in every scoop.

They will stay on. I have cast them with one of those silver dollar sized cannonball weights! They hit the water going very fast! Works good for flounder from shore. They stay on (for the cast) much better if frozen.

Default Big Su hooligan

was coming back from the deshka a couple days after memorial day. we were cruising up the bs and saw hooligan washed up on the bank. pulled over (killed the engine so they didn't foul the jet) and proceeded to use a salmon landing net to fill an entire cooler. there were so many it didn't matter that they were falling out of the over sized net. took 10 minutes to fill the big daddy cooler.

have had good luck using hooligan to create a scent trail. use a 2' section of pvc with a cannon ball in the end with holes packed full of chopped up hooligan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast