Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Army vet looking for work.

Default Army vet looking for work.

Hey guys, Living in alaska has always been a dream of mine. I spent 6 years in the army working as a mechanic and a logistics clerk. I am a hard worker and will start at the bottom, I just want to get to alaska. If you have anything open and I mean anything I would very much appreciate the opprotunity.

ttt. still looking.

Sometimes its best to just get here first then start looking. Many many opportunities here!

Good luck!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Hi buddy
    Most will not offer much until you get here unless you can get on the slope. It is always best to head up and start looking once boots are on the ground if you want to get a job and live up here. It's will be tougher once snow sets in as well but some things get a bit cheaper as well. Good luck you should not have too much trouble finding a job once you get here.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Lots of folks with similar ideas have turned many (most) businesses off from helping get folks here from outside. Best to be invested and do that part yourself then knuckle down and find a job while here. Lots of work available for a good hand with no strings (kids/wife/etc). Plenty of people get help to get up here then learn first hand that AK gets cold and dark so they tuck tail and head for home. That leaves the business that invested on the front end short.

I don't know what line of work you are interested in but if you have your ASE certifications that will open a lot of doors up here. I started out as a mechanic in Fairbanks before I joined the Army and there never were any shortage of jobs to be had and that seems to still be the case up here.

I have spent a lot of time in some realy cold places, and some realy hot places, Cold doesnt bother me, I hate being hot. 30 below is about cold as I have seen and that was in Korea the up to 138 in Iraq. I have no wife or kids so nothing is holding me back. I would just like to know I have some income before I leave the crowded southlands. I would even work for less than minimum wage just the the chance to chase my dreams. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 7magsendero View Post
    I have spent a lot of time in some realy cold places, and some realy hot places, Cold doesnt bother me, I hate being hot. 30 below is about cold as I have seen and that was in Korea the up to 138 in Iraq. I have no wife or kids so nothing is holding me back. I would just like to know I have some income before I leave the crowded southlands. I would even work for less than minimum wage just the the chance to chase my dreams. Thanks for all the advice guys.
    Yep, save a couple grand and head on up. I had $3100 when I did the same, but had a wife and 4 kids in tow. My first job in AK was driving taxi for 2 months til I found something more to my liking. That was 11 years ago.

Just do it, you won't be sorry.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

How about if I pay someone to give me a job, lol, had to try.

It isn't easy to pull the trigger on moving that far without some kind of assurance of finding a job, single or not...

That being said, with no one else counting on you to put mac & cheese on the table... pull the trigger soldier.

wanna see what's available for you in the job market? the internet is your friend. Here's your first fishing lesson, helpwantedalaska

Default Army vet looking for work.

AlexSYS is another good site. What line of mechanic? Many places are always looking for good heavy equipment mechanics.

Craigslist as well.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I can definately work on heavy equipment, I was a tank and bradley mechanic, I worked on hydraulic systems, tracked vehicles, and turbine engines. I also got trained to be a logistics clerk when I was in Iraq, I was in charge of ordering and maintaing all the parts to fix the equipment.

Im still looking if anyone needs a hard worker for anything.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Post up ur email. I have a few places you can look into.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I would be very surprised if you have any luck getting a job without being here. If you are serious, come up and you will find work. I worked in Human Resources in Fairbanks and know the job market.

If you have no criminal background and can pass a drug test, you WILL find work. Back ground and drug use keeps many from getting jobs here.

If you have a CDL to go with your mechanic skills it will be easy.

Personal Plus is a temp agency that will get you work and many companies hire from them, a try before you buy type thing.

http://www.perplus.com/job-seekers/c...-openings.html

Thanks for your service, but you have to be here. Chasing your dreams can be scary, but if you are serious quit dreaming and take action.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

still looking guys, its gonna happen someday.

Where are you living at?

You could join a Reserve or Guard unit in AK. That way you'd get drill pay every month, might let you stretch the budget for a while until you find a regular job.

Icicle Seafoods in Petersburg has been looking for people to process fish this summer. They've been offering to fly you up here, room and board, and a job. It's short term, but a foot in the door. 907-772-4294 Too many fish, not enough people to work.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

I haven't been on here in a while, but am still hoping to someday make it up there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast