Thread: Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jigging Rod

Default Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jigging Rod

I am looking at getting a new jigging rod and for under $70 this seems to be a great deal. Any one use this or can offer any input. I wanted to put a Avet SX reel. What do you think of this combo?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    I am looking at getting a new jigging rod and for under $70 this seems to be a great deal. Any one use this or can offer any input. I wanted to put a Avet SX reel. What do you think of this combo?
    My son uses one....he loves it!!

I don't have the rod but I have an Avet reel and love it...I'm sure it will be a good combo.

Kinda depends on your taste. It's too soft in the tip for me, but my wife likes it that way.

<insert mushy butt joke here>

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Kinda depends on your taste. It's too soft in the tip for me, but my wife likes it that way.

I have one... actually 4. Trustworthys had them from $49 a few weeks ago and I liked the first one I bought so I got 4 more as spares. I do have a shimano trevala, that I *love*, and it's mine mine mine when we're out fishing. But other guys I fish with liked it so much I thought I'd get another jigging rod for the boat. Being a cheap bastage, I was not gonna buy another trevala just for someone else to use. So I got the tiger lite. I did throw a Avet JX on it, and it more than handled a fiesty 92# butt on it's maiden voyage. I'd say go for it.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

I love Avet reels but my only concern is the SX will only hold a little over 200 yds of 80# braid. Loaded with 65# should get you closer to 300 yds. A lot depends on the depth you normally fish though. I like Swissy's JX, more drag and more capacity. It's all personal preference though. If you can, try to find one to mount on the rod just for the feel if nothing else.

Consider the Okuma 6' blue jigging rod. I have three and love them. The Tiger is nice as well.

On the reels I would recommend something a little more. I had MXLs and had two of them grind up in the first few months. I upgraded to JXs because of the lower gearing and think they will do well. If you only jig 16oz the SX might be okay but when I have people out and someone wants to fish a two or three pound weight then they should be able to without me worrying about burning up the reel. My 2 cents.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

This rod and reel combo will mostly be used for vertical jigging of salmon and possibly lings/ rockfish/ and the incidental halibut. My company sends me on a salmon charter out of seward every year, but I prefer to use a left handed reel. I asked the captain if I could bring my own rod and reel and he said that would be fine. They use seeker rods and avet reels. I love the set ups except for the fact everything is right handed. I wanted something mostly for the silvers and rockfish that could handle the potential for halibut or lings. I am going to go with 50 or 65lb braid and the capacity should be fine for that. This will not be a dedicated halibut rod.

I have a Tiger light and a Trevala jigging rod. If I am jigging mainly halibut, I prefer the Trevala. The Tiger light is a nice rod for smaller targets. I also looked into the Avet SX, but opted for the JX when a couple of sources warned me that the SX may need to be rebuilt yearly if you are into big fish. I also thought that I would like the left hand Avet. It is OK, but I personally wish I had purchased a right hand Avet instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    This rod and reel combo will mostly be used for vertical jigging of salmon and possibly lings/ rockfish/ and the incidental halibut. My company sends me on a salmon charter out of seward every year, but I prefer to use a left handed reel. I asked the captain if I could bring my own rod and reel and he said that would be fine. They use seeker rods and avet reels. I love the set ups except for the fact everything is right handed. I wanted something mostly for the silvers and rockfish that could handle the potential for halibut or lings. I am going to go with 50 or 65lb braid and the capacity should be fine for that. This will not be a dedicated halibut rod.
    IN that case, definitely look at an Okuma Cedros rod. I have both the TigerLite with an Okuma Saltist reel (which I love for halibut) and a Cedros with an Avet MXJ, perfect for salmon to halibut up to about 50#. I loaded 300 yards of 60# braid on the Avet, and have enough room on there for a 30 yd topshot if I wanted it. Love the action and feel of the Cedros jigging rod, and I am just waiting for a bigger halibut to see how much fun that is.

i am also looking into getting some halibut poles don't know what to try plan on buy 4, up to $200 each but want to getting a few different ones. if anyone wants to sell any old but in good shape rods i would be interested.

I have a pair of the Tiger Lite Jigging reels with Avet reels and taken Halibut over 190lbs with no problems. Great rod with good action. Mine are the 5' 6" model rated at 200lb test with 14 oz lure.

I have the 80-200# 6' Cedros rod paired with a FinNor Offshore 20L. I like the backbone of the rod but the action is a little stiff for the lighter jigs and salmon. It handles the 12-16oz jigs pretty easily but like I said I would like a more sensitive tip for lighter weights and smaller fish.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    I have a pair of the Tiger Lite Jigging reels with Avet reels and taken Halibut over 190lbs with no problems. Great rod with good action. Mine are the 5' 6" model rated at 200lb test with 14 oz lure.
    What model Avet reel?

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    I have the 80-200# 6' Cedros rod paired with a FinNor Offshore 20L. I like the backbone of the rod but the action is a little stiff for the lighter jigs and salmon. It handles the 12-16oz jigs pretty easily but like I said I would like a more sensitive tip for lighter weights and smaller fish.
    Switch to the 65-150 class and you`ll have a more sensitive rod with just as much backbone. I run the lighter class with the same reels and they sure are nice. The 50-100 is a bit light for 16 oz. stuff.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Switch to the 65-150 class and you`ll have a more sensitive rod with just as much backbone. I run the lighter class with the same reels and they sure are nice. The 50-100 is a bit light for 16 oz. stuff.
    I see that the 65-150 class rod is 6'6" long... I was thinking about getting a (rather expensive) custom built Seeker in 7' length or longer....

What are the thoughts of all of those in this thread on the differences in length? 6' vs 6'6" vs 7' vs 8' etc...

AKArcher

I like longer rods for jigging typically. I am in love with the Okuma Cedros rated to 150. I can't remember if it's 6' or 6'6" but I like it a lot. I have brought up some nice fish and it gets some good action with even the smaller ones which makes it more fun.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Agreed with you DMan... The Cedros is a great rod. I wish they produced a 7' jiggin stick. I'm in talks with a rod builder now for a 80-200 in the length I'm looking for with a lighter action then the shorter Cedros.

AKArcher

On my tiger lite jigging rod I uses a Avet Mc cast sx 5.31. On the boat rods Mxl 5.8.1.