Thread: tipping ur transporter

Default tipping ur transporter

Didn't want to side track the other thread...

So - do you tip ur transporter?

I am kind of thinking no. We will be flying in to an unknown spot in the Brooks range. The flight will be from 30 to 45 minutes one way. So the pilot and business owner gets $1750.00 *2 = $3500.00 for a homerun shuttle. A rough guess of 3 hours flight time total - and a meat run is an extra $750. There's 4 of us going - so two homerun trips for $7K and 6 hours of flight time.

That seems fair enough to me that they are making their wages and being able to pay for their fuel, insurances, plane wear and tear, and all of the other overhead costs that such a business accumulates. This will be my most expensive hunt ever - so it isn't chump change for me.

Then I kind of think that if they put us in a stellar place that maybe a tip of some amount is warranted.....

What do most working hunters do for their transporters?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

It's all about the service we get. If we feel the transporter tried their best to put us in a good area, then yeah, we'll throw them something extra...but if they put us in critterless territory or with other hunters, or don't deliver on other promises such as a mid hunt move....then heck no we won't (didn't) tip them.

I have only been out on a couple trips with bigger outfits. Seahawk treated us well and though I didn't tip Rolan I did tip the gopher that shuttled us around town and provided top notch service, he dang sure earned it! I didn't tip Wrights either though they were a home run and were wheels up at our exact departure time (within literally seconds) and they touched down at 12:01 for a noon pickup in our valley. We paid $6K for the flight though and that was just for 2 of us! I tend to tip for labor services and would be inclined to tip a packer or guide before I would the outfitter. I would tip an owner/operator pilot for a fairly cheap short hop but not so much for an expensive expedition. A few hundred bucks to dump me at lake George then yeah, I would sling him $50 or so in a second! $3K/person for a flight, then I assume the subtext is "gratuity included"...

I don't tip ERA when I fly with them, and I don't tip Alaska Airlines either. Not sure why I would tip a flying service that had a rate at 4-5 times the amount of the larger air carriers for doing a job that takes a fraction of the time. For the rates they are charging these days, I'd agree with LuJon, the gratuity is inlcuded already.

I don't tip transporters. They're already gouging me for going hunting whether I score or not. It is what it is and I pay without complaint, but no I won't tip them. As LuJon stated, I have and will tip the guy shuttling me around town.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I've tipped $100 to the pilot each of the last two summers after dropping my family and I off safe and sound.

I fly for a living and sure wish I got tipped each time I had to fix countless problems to ensure the customer an on time departure/arrival. That's in the airline world though where employees are mere servants.

I tipped $100 to the transporter for my flight last year(two trips four guys and two rafts), things went well and I plan on using them again... So I guess I figure hey $100 for the guy isnt out of the question, that being said I didnt spend what you are spending for your trip? Is this the first time you have used this company? I tip if it has been a good experience and I feel the guy actually cares about how we do.... alot of times the guy I use wants me to write up a little summary of how things went and wants to see some pictures from our group, and if there is anything else that could have made it a better experience... So I tip him...

I wished I gottips when I fix peoples power when it goes out but, I have never received one.I figure they think I am already getting paid for the job I'm doing. Come tothink of it thatís what I think when I fly in those really expensive bushplanes. No tip out me.