Thread: LAR Grizzly Mark 1

Smile LAR Grizzly Mark 1

My 45 win mag keeps jambing. I replaced the extractor but still doing it. Any suggestions other than a gunsmith?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaflier View Post
    My 45 win mag keeps jambing. I replaced the extractor but still doing it. Any suggestions other than a gunsmith?
    What exactly is the jamming ?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

It stovepipes on me and i found out it does not like hollow points. If it doesnt stovepipe, the slide will not return all the way to firing position.

Is this with factory AMMO ? Have you tried using another mag; These guns had some mag probs?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Is this with factory AMMO ? Have you tried using another mag; These guns had some mag probs?
    Yes i have 4 mags and it doesnt seem to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaflier View Post
    Yes i have 4 mags and it doesnt seem to matter.
    Yes factory ammo as well.

Does it jam on the first or second shot or just randomly.

Does it jam on the first or second shot or just randomly.
    Shoots fine on the first shot then either stovepipes or the slide does not return all the way and you can see a shell trying to load but gets stuck.

Might be that over the years since its been built the slide spring has grown weaker. Shoot it with one round missing out of the mag and see if the problem goes away. The reduction of the mag spring tension pushing on the bottom of the slide may make a difference. When loading remember that you should use 451-452 dia bullets and taper crimp for an automatic. These guns normally don't feed the big "flying ash tray" style hollow points for diddly. Also watch the COAL when loading. Not sure how much it's been shot but they work much better after 300-500 rounds have been cycled through them.

Might be that over the years since its been built the slide spring has grown weaker. Shoot it with one round missing out of the mag and see if the problem goes away. The reduction of the mag spring tension pushing on the bottom of the slide may make a difference. When loading remember that you should use 451-452 dia bullets and taper crimp for an automatic. These guns normally don't feed the big "flying ash tray" style hollow points for diddly. Also watch the COAL when loading. Not sure how much it's been shot but they work much better after 300-500 rounds have been cycled through them.
    Thanks for the info. I will try.

Try it with 4 rounds in the mag then add a round ever mag until you get to jam point, then back-off a round. See if this locates your problem !

Great, thanks alot!!!!

What seemed to be the problem and what helped the problem and put it back to work?

You might be on to something about a weak (or possible too strong) recoil spring. What happens is slide travel is faster and it throws off the timing with ejection and the magazine spring isn't strong enough to push up the fresh round fast enough to put it in front of the faster slide. A stronger recoil spring would be cheap enough to try it. I'm not sure what weight the are but that info should be available. I've seen similar problems fixed by balancing spring weights correctly. Wolfe springs has a kit which includes a firing pin spring.
    Mike