Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canning salmon question

Default Canning salmon question

This is probably not the right place to post this but I need an answer. My daughter canned some salmon the other day. She used quart jars and only filled them between 1/2, 1/3, to 2/3 full. What I've read is you want to pack the salmon tight and only leave about a 1/2 inch to 1 inch of airspace at the top. The canning process is supposed to pull a vacuum but if you have too much airspace that is not going to happen. I'm afraid her salmon is ruined. I don't want her to get sick. So, does anyone know if canning this way will work or should she get rid of the stuff she's already canned? Thanks

For the fish to be kept proper, the cooking should have occured at the proper temperature (pressure) for the proper amount of time, if that is done the lids should have "sucked down". I don't recall what they are because I haven't done it in a couple years however the state or borough has a handout, check Google.

Push on the lids and see if they depress and then pop back up. If they do, they did not seal and should be refrigerated and eaten within a couple days. If they do not depress, they should be fine, assuming propper time and temperature were utilized.

If you can't find the answer to your question, and the salmon that she did can is still good (fridge? If not, then not sure), then I believe that the salmon can be "re-canned". Just combine the jars so that there's less room at the top. But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    If you can't find the answer to your question, and the salmon that she did can is still good (fridge? If not, then not sure), then I believe that the salmon can be "re-canned". Just combine the jars so that there's less room at the top. But that's just my opinion.
    UAF Extension (i.e., the experts) say it can be recanned immediately. I've never done this though; seems like too much heat on the fish. So instead I fridge those cans and eat'm first.

The problem right now is is that she canned them a few days ago. If they haven't been opened can they be refridgerated now or is it too late? I looked at the UAF site, but it didn't really give me the answer...

A few days ago?

If the lids don't pop, then sure, re-can, and you're safe.

If they do pop, its your call. They really shouldn't have been unrefrigerated.

Sorry if this is bad news. Just trying to help.

If they sealed properly (lid does not push down) and the cooking process was done correctly, (90 mins at 10 psi), then you are good to go. No need to open 'em and re-do.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    If they sealed properly (lid does not push down) and the cooking process was done correctly, (90 mins at 10 psi), then you are good to go. No need to open 'em and re-do.
    BK
    . I would agree. As long as the lids stay sucked in they are good to go. I'ld leave em be.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

BK
    That time is for pint jars. They used Quart. I have read that your never to use quart size for fish or meat. I know it has to be in there longer than pints. Ok I found this RECOMMENDED FOR QUART JARS OF FISH• Process 1-quart jars for 160 minutes (2 hours
    and 40 minutes).
    • Use 10 pounds pressure for a weighted
    gauge pressure canner.
    • Use 11 pounds pressure for a dial gauge
    pressure canner.

Thanks for all the replies. According to my daughter she stuffed the jars full and cooked them per quart instructions. There was a lot of shrinkage I guess. The lids seem to be good. Hopefully they'll be ok... Has anyone used quart jars before? Is it normal for the salmon to shrink that much? Seems a little odd...

Yes, it shrinks. I too was suprised the first time I canned salmon.
    I do 90% of mine in 1/2 pint jars after I smoke it.
    BK

So BK how long you smoke before canning?

Default cannin reds

I smoked my reds this time for 8 hrs. The temps went from 100* initially to 150* by the time I was done. Alder chunks used for smoke and kept the pan full the whole time. The salmon is cooked and ready to eat when it comes out of the smoker.
    I have done shorter and cooler smoke times allowing the canner to complete the cooking process but I prefer to can a finished product, matter of personal preference really.
    BK
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Canning salmon question

Yes, it shrinks. I too was suprised the first time I canned salmon.
    I do 90% of mine in 1/2 pint jars after I smoke it.
    BK
    How long do you cook the 1/2 pints?

Quote Originally Posted by cwm907 View Post
    How long do you cook the 1/2 pints?
    Same time and pressure as a full pint 100 minutes at 10 pounds pressure. This is the time and pressure for glass canning jars and lids...don't know about metal cans, as I don't use those.

I smoked my reds this time for 8 hrs. The temps went from 100* initially to 150* by the time I was done. Alder chunks used for smoke and kept the pan full the whole time. The salmon is cooked and ready to eat when it comes out of the smoker.
    I have done shorter and cooler smoke times allowing the canner to complete the cooking process but I prefer to can a finished product, matter of personal preference really.
    BK
    BK
    I would NOT be able to can those salmon. I am afraid i would eat all of it before it got canned. Those look outstanding!

When done, I pulled them off the skin, canned the meat and ended up with 50 jars (1/2 pints) and two whole fillets in the freezer.
    I run 90 mins at 10 psi.
    The bellies are the best!!

BK
    BK, What do you brine your salmon with? Those look awesome....

Biglou001,
    Appreciate the comments, here ya go;

Brine the salmon in a slatwater brine. Mix enough noniodized salt to get a raw egg to just bob to the surface.
    Score the fillets as seen in photo, then soak in the brine for 2 hours.
    Rinse off the fillets and soak 'em again for 20-30 mins in fresh water.
    Put on racks and air dry overnight with a fan on them to form a shiny skin.
    Smoke for 6 hours roughly @ 100-150* till you get the desired texture/doneness that you prefer. I use alder chips for smoke and change it out before it turns to ash....ie, chips are black and still emitting smoke.

During the smoking process you can drizzle honey on top or brown sugar, srirachi chili paste, etc....
    I add this stuff when I can them. Bellies are the best!!
    BK

BK, your fish looks awesome! I like the idea of doing it sliced, but still on the full skin (for ease of handling).

I always rinse after brining, but have never done a freshwater soak. Is there a particular reason for this, or perhaps just to take an edge off the salt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast