Thread: cell phone coverage

Default cell phone coverage

I will be hunting West of the Japan Hills near Bonnifield Creek. I will have a sat phone anyway but I am wondering about regular cell service on the ridges. I have had great cell service all along the Wood River, in the past. The cell phone would be a lot cheaper to call with than the 1.50 a minute sat phone. Could someone who has hunted the "ridges" please tell me how their cell service was? Thank you.

You should have great coverage all across the flats. It was better with the analog system, but should be good with the digital crap out there today. This will also depend on who your provider is,...
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I will be hunting West of the Japan Hills near Bonnifield Creek. I will have a sat phone anyway but I am wondering about regular cell service on the ridges. I have had great cell service all along the Wood River, in the past. The cell phone would be a lot cheaper to call with than the 1.50 a minute sat phone. Could someone who has hunted the "ridges" please tell me how their cell service was? Thank you.
    You hunting for caribou or moose out there? I will be out that direction but not until later in September for moose.

Yeah, I finally drew the DC827 tag after 10 years of applying.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Yeah, I finally drew the DC827 tag after 10 years of applying.
    Right on! Best of luck!

I use AT&T and never had a problem on the ridges. Even have some coverage near the creek at the base of the hills. Kinda cool calling home while looking at the lights of fairbanks in november.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I use AT&T and never had a problem on the ridges. Even have some coverage near the creek at the base of the hills. Kinda cool calling home while looking at the lights of fairbanks in november.
    Well that's cool to hear. I can call the wife to report when I kill a monster bull moose then!