Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Launch

Default 1st Launch

So,finally, after about 4 years of spinal injury vs boat project....I win, or at least I'm "this weekend" close to launch...everything seems to be working. I'm in Anchorage and was thinking about a place other than the ocean for a trial run. I thought Big Lake but then considered the 2 lakes @ Wasilla. The difference in distance isn't a big deal to me. I'm hoping someone could suggest which of the three would be the easiest/safest option from a launching/retrieval angle since this whole thing will first a time deal for me and will be a solo operation. It isn't a great big boat...20' flat bottom Harvey. Thanks for any assistance. If it floats for awhile, I'll post a picture.

I think Big Lake has the best launching facility out here. I usually run my ocean boat there when I need a test run. They have a fairly nice launch as well as a boat shop if needed at Burkeshore Marina. That is where I have gone when I needed a test run. .

Good luck. Hope it floats and all goes well!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Finger Lake off of Bogard Road has a decent launch.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default 1st Launch

Finger lake will work. Decent short ramp and good dock right there by it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good call on Finger Lake. I live close to there but never think of it for launching, as my boat is too big to get down that overly treed twisty road.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Be sure to post up some photos of that Harvey. I had one a long time ago.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Rumrunners on Wasilla Lake has a good launch area. There is however a $10 launch fee. If you need anything AK Fab is just around the corner just off the parks. If you get stranded and need assistance just give us a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Rumrunners on Wasilla Lake has a good launch area. There is however a $10 launch fee. If you need anything AK Fab is just around the corner just off the parks. If you get stranded and need assistance just give us a call.

Thanks...hope I don't need help but it's sure nice to know it is there!

Well....It didn't happen..yet, anyway. Decided I needed to have my batteries and fuel tank much more secure than they were. I'm confident with that now...neither one can so much as twitch. So...I'm just about off to get gas and realize I forgot all about securing the boat to the trailer. I'm good at the bow end with winch and safety chain but have to figure out something for the stern. When I got the boat it was pre-disastered so the ratchet digging into the gelcoat wasn't a big deal. It is now that I've cleaned it up so I'll have to figure something else out. I could reef it down across the gunnels with 1/2 inch rope...but I don't know if that is legal...if it was, I'd give it a go and keep working on rigging something more practical.

Finally got it in the water today. I was pleased with the performance...broke 30 mph under wot. Didn't skid or trip in tight turns..and didn't sink. Here's a link with some photos. https://picasaweb.google.com/1119976...32074219910338

Nice restoration!
    BK

Very nice looking boat !

Beautiful work on the restoration! I live just a few blocks away from you and have driven by it many times.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Beautiful work on the restoration! I live just a few blocks away from you and have driven by it many times.
    Thanks, MRFISH! I've been working on it so long that it's embarrassing . I need to figure out something to keep the stern stable on the trailer. I bought 2 gunnel straps figuring that would surely do it....wrong. Even under that pressure it still slid all over the place going around corners. Not good! At any rate, seeing that boat anywhere other than in my driveway did my heart good.

Perhaps adding some side guides to the trailer will help

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Perhaps adding some side guides to the trailer will help
    I know I need them. I'm sure launching/retrieving without them in a current or breeze could get ugly fast. I've bought and returned 2 different styles. Neither would fit due to the boats flare and the trailer stringer's narrow geometry. I need some suggestions for who around Anchorage might be able to build me a set.

Boat looks nice.....great job!!

Since I installed heavy rubrail, I'm going to go the pvc "roller" pipe over a stout metal pipe side guide route. So...with the boat centered on the trailer, how much room should be allowed between the rails and the guide pipes? How do you guys have yours set up?

Mine is a catamaran with a totally different type of trailer than a v-hull, so I can't help you. Sorry...I am sure someone else will chime in.

AkBillyBow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast