Thread: I love me rifle build

Default I love me rifle build

Well I have decided that since I retire from the military in 4 years that I'm going to get a I love me present for when I Retire. I currently have a cooper 338-06 that shoots great, but weights 9 lbs and is just a little to heavy for when I head up to the mountains. For the mountains I have a 280 ai that weight 7lbs 4 oz and is great to carry and shots ok. So I have decided to try to get the best of both worlds and get a rifle built by weaver rifles out of CO. Everything that I have shot with the 338-06 has dropped with in a few steps so I was going to stick with that caliber. 210gr TTSX at 2700 fps just seems to work well. I dont like to shoot over 3oo yards so I think it is plenty horse power.
    So this is what im thinking. This is going to be my do it all rifle expect for big browns rifle. A winchester model 70 classic action, mcmillian model 7o FW stock " I like the feel and design of the winchester FW stocks I have small hands and the contour fits me well, Dakota bottom metal "bottom metal that works like a weatherby mark V". I havent decide on a barrel brand yet, but Im leaning on a number 3 with fluting and open sights. The action will be trued and Skeletonized. The barrel will be 24" and trigger set at about 2.5 to 3 lbs. I was going to top off the rifle with talley mounts and either a trijicon 3x9x40 accupoint with a amber triangel or a swarzo z-3 3x9x36. All the metal will be cerakoted matte black and the stock matte black with gray webbing. I have been talking to smith and he seems to think I can get this rifle made to 7 lbs scoped; which is what I want. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I have been talking to smith and he seems to think I can get this rifle made to 7 lbs scoped; which is what I want. What do you guys think?
    I do not think you'll get a Model 70 with a 24 inch tube, fiberglass stock, steel bottom metal and said scope to 7 pounds. I've owned/built a few Model 70s and it takes some dieting to make one that light. I'd say you'll be closer to 7 pounds before the scope--otherwise IMO it sounds like a solid hunting rifle.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I was hoping to shave some weight off the bottom metal, action, fluting bolt/barrel, stock. I figure I need to cut 13 to 14 oz which I do understand is a lot. I thought about a 22" barrel, but then I would go with a 338-06AI and I really hate fire forming brass. I found that out with my 280 AI.

Default I love me rifle build

Could start out with a Remington Ti action.

Basners stock
    Kreiger fluted barrel
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Sounds like a great build...I think your weight goal is a little optimistic scoped- esp with the Trijicon (they're heavy). But it sounds like a great build even at a more realistic 8 lbs (scoped).

Now you've got me thinking about loving me and building me another rifle....
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

You'll be closer to 8lbs (if not more I bet) with scope with the parts you listed. My Model 70 7WSM weighs 7lb 5oz with Leupold 3.5-10 tactical scope on top. 24" barreled action sits in a McMillan compact edge stock (23oz) with 1/2" decelerator recoil pad. PT&G aluminum bottom metal (2+ oz). Talley lightweight rings and mountain sling. This rifle is 2 or 3 oz heavier than my Kimber Montana 8400 7WSM.

The Dakota bottom metal probably weighs a ton itself and wouldn't be my choice if weight of the rifle is concerned.

Your idea of a mountain rifle sounds very good, yet I'm not sure the weight is acheiveable. If you revised the caliber to 338 RCM you would acheive the same ballistics with a shorter lighter action, and a smaller overall firearm; The shorter fatter cartridge could then allow the use of a 20-21" barrel. True you loose a round in the box but sheep aren't really that dangerous. Dropping the bottom metal and use a blind magazine will save weight. Useing a Kevlar or carbon fiber stock will save weight as well. Consider haveing the rifle Mag-Na-Ported as a 6.75-7.25 lb rifle in this caliber will have recoil.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Your idea of a mountain rifle sounds very good, yet I'm not sure the weight is acheiveable. If you revised the caliber to 338 RCM you would acheive the same ballistics with a shorter lighter action, and a smaller overall firearm; The shorter fatter cartridge could then allow the use of a 20-21" barrel.
    I did think about this caliber, I just wonder how available the brass is going to be in 20 years. This is going to not be just a mountain rifle, but a moose, caribou, and interior bear rifle. I do relize that it is going to have a little recoil, but it will still be better then the older ruger 338 WM that I had at one point. I know that the accupoint is a heavy scope, but it really brings in the light and is a great scope to get that last little bit of light out of the day. Keep it coming, there are some great ideas being brought out.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I did think about this caliber, I just wonder how available the brass is going to be in 20 years. This is going to not be just a mountain rifle, but a moose, caribou, and interior bear rifle. I do relize that it is going to have a little recoil, but it will still be better then the older ruger 338 WM that I had at one point. I know that the accupoint is a heavy scope, but it really brings in the light and is a great scope to get that last little bit of light out of the day. Keep it coming, there are some great ideas being brought out.
    I'm not sure how available this round will be or if we'll even be allowed to own a rifle in 20 yrs. When I purchased my SS 338 RCM rifle I bought 200 rounds of brass for reloading. In 20 years if this round is dead or ammo is extremely expensive I'll simply rebarrel to this rounds replacement caliber. The 338 RCM has a 300 RCM brother and parent cartridge like the 338-06 and that will allow a lot of lattitude as far as makeing brass and reloading. My 20" factory Ruger weighs 7.2 lbs with a 2x6x40 scope and open sights.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !